Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello & Vehicle Safety Products!

Hi,

I've only just discovered this great forum.

I'm a huge fan of 1980s cars which I feel form a much maligned category of automotive history! I also collect vintage child vehicle safety products and hope to start a website early next year detailing my collection and research. I am hoping people here on the forum might be able to help me out.

If anyone has any old vehicle child safety seats/products from the mid 1970s to late 1980s, I would be very interested in purchasing them. Any enquires are welcomed. The following items would be of particular interest:

1) Any KL Automotive/KL Jeenay (Sumner) Products
    2) Britax "Comfy Rider" Seat
    3) The "Star Riser" Booster Seat (original Grey & Brown Striped Cover)
    4) Britax "Suparider" Seat
    5) Britax "Star Rider 50" Seat
    6) Britax "Snuggler" Seat
    7) Brtax "Recliner" Seat
    8) Securon "Executive" Seat

Even old catalogues/manuals and sales brochures would be greatly appreciated. I will cover all postage costs (obviously!) and can collect within 80 miles of north London or further afield by special arrangement.

Thanks very much!

Re: Hello & Vehicle Safety Products!

I don't remember using a child seat in the back of the car when i was younger, 4 or 5 years of age.

Comment

My Dad fitted a child seat into our cars when we are young.

In one car he fitted a set of shoulder belts as it was before cars had rear belts.

When my sister was too big for them she had a booster cushion, which had recently come along.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember when my dad got a new Vauxhall Senator back in 1986, it was the first car we had with rear belts. I hated wearing them and it took abit of getting used to.

Comment

Hi Austinmusic,

Thought you might like this photo of some point of sale material for the KL Jeenay:

My deceased dad was the designer and thus I was the unpaid model in the middle (my cousin on the right). Don't know precisely when it was but I'm 48 now!

Comment

I think it would be the mid-1980s when rear seat belts became standard in most cars. My dad bought a new VW Golf in 1985 and it had them, but VW was an early adopter. Volvo and Saab started fitting them in the mid-late 1970s and I think Toyota was similar to VW, around 1983.

Comment

By the 1990s most manufacturers had switched to the "safety sells" mantra, & a good NCAP score could make or break a particular model.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Hi there,

Are you still active on this forum? I have a car seat for your collection if you are interested.

Let me know

Comment

Working...
                X