Demolition of the Campbells Soup Tower Kings Lynn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demolition of the Campbells Soup Tower Kings Lynn

Hope I have posted this in the correct category - Anyway, we used to see this huge tower that was part of the huge Campbell Soup Factory on the way to our holidays in Norfolk in the 1970s and early 80s so it holds memories for me.

Dad would drive past the Campbells Soup Factroy on Campbells Meadow in our old Transit van (converted into a camper) It really does stand out on the flat skyline of Kings Lynn.

Just thought I would give it a mention as I have just found out that after Campbells sold out to Premier Foods they in turn sold the land to TESCOS and after a small group of people tried to campaign to save just the iconic tower they failed to get it listed so it will leave the Lynn Skyline in mid January.

Anyone else remember it? Or live by it?

Sad, another dear childhood memory gone..................

Re: Demolition of the Campbells Soup Tower Kings Lynn

I can't say I know it, though it all sounds very sad what's going to happen to it. I'm glad I won't be there to see it happen- even now the 'powers that be' don't seem to care about our iconic structures. Wembley Stadium, the HP Sauce facory in Birmingham, the 'Get Carter' car park in Gateshead, Swansea's Weaver Building....makes you sick.

Comment

It's interesting that the Tesco Extra near me has an old chimney on the land that they use to advertise the store. It's very effective as the store is on an old industrial estate and is easily missed but you can't miss the big TESCO on that chimney! I don't know if the chimney is listed but the two previious companies also used it to advertise and nobody seems to make any attempt to knock it down.

The 'Get Carter' car park has now been demolished in the name of Tesco, but I can't say I'm sorry to see it go. It was a monstrosity and only famous because of Get Carter.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2479158_f882541f.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	259994

Here's the chimney
        1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by FLYING SAUCER View Post
          Hope I have posted this in the correct category - Anyway, we used to see this huge tower that was part of the huge Campbell Soup Factory on the way to our holidays in Norfolk in the 1970s and early 80s so it holds memories for me.

Dad would drive past the Campbells Soup Factroy on Campbells Meadow in our old Transit van (converted into a camper) It really does stand out on the flat skyline of Kings Lynn.

Just thought I would give it a mention as I have just found out that after Campbells sold out to Premier Foods they in turn sold the land to TESCOS and after a small group of people tried to campaign to save just the iconic tower they failed to get it listed so it will leave the Lynn Skyline in mid January.

Anyone else remember it? Or live by it?

Sad, another dear childhood memory gone..................

my never knew there was a tower to do with the famous campbells soup.
          it sounds very sad whats going to happen to it.

i feel for example other famous food companies factories should never be done away with.
          these companies buildings have a lot of history for those of us who remember them.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Thanks to all forum members who have replied on this one, TESCO should have retained THE CAMPBELLS SOUP TOWER Kings Lynn and used it as advertising! At least that way it would Identify TESCOS location on the Hardwick Road Shopping Estate and also retain the old tower for posterity.

It can be seen for miles!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ZV0GhsQOA

If you go to the above Youtube link, you will see the Campbells Tower (the huge Campbells logos have been removed, and the rest of the factory has mostly been demolished) You will get some idea of the size from this film someone has made. Nice bit of paragliding here too.

But it does seem such a shame, especially with the picture of Trickyvees Tesco chimney and the Tesco advertising potential that will be lost forever, along with all the Campbells Soup memories.

Comment

Originally posted by FLYING SAUCER View Post
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ZV0GhsQOA

If you go to the above Youtube link, you will see the Campbells Tower (the huge Campbells logos have been removed, and the rest of the factory has mostly been demolished) You will get some idea of the size from this film someone has made. Nice bit of paragliding here too.

But it does seem such a shame, especially with the picture of Trickyvees Tesco chimney and the Tesco advertising potential that will be lost forever, along with all the Campbells Soup memories.
                its so sad when places like this demolished.
                they should be kept because once they are gone thats history gone forever.

if i had my way id sabe buildings and towers of famous food companies.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUda-Uv22dY

Well here it is everyone, the end to an iconic feature of the Kings Lynn flat landscape! Tesco saw fit to destroy rather than keep this tall monument of 1950s industrial architecture.

I have spoken to many people, most wanted to preserve it and would have liked a clock face on it along with the Tesco sign, what a good advertising Tower this would have been for Tesco? But no, they marched on and consumed everything in sight, in favour of their horrible corporate image.

I am a preservationist where buildings are concerned, it is a greener policy to renovate rather than destroy.

Corporate greed strikes again! Goodbye old tower.

Comment

The person who pressed the ignition to the detonation was a lady whose Father had died in an industrial accident, her Father had worked for Campbells and had been scalded to death by steam when he was trying to shut off a valve to a massive soup mixer they had there. She said seeing the tower all the time was reminding her of her Fathers loss and the chance to demolish it was an act of closure.

I think it was an ugly thing really. As for Tesco, they're even uglier. We've got 17 of their stores in Reading alone, many in close proximity to one another. Their greed disgusts me and I do hope they start becoming smaller.

Comment

Working...
                    X