Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rescuers

What a great film this was.
    The polot involves what would be classed as child abduction and slavery these days by some insane woman and her partener who want a big diamond which is in some underground cave, presumably in what looks like a deep southern bayou (Think the film Sothern Comfort). To get her out of it she sends a message in bottle which ends in New York and taken to the UN headquarters where two mice get the task of rescuing the said girl.
    When I first saw this I couldn't help thinking that somebody must have hated albatrosses.
    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Re: The Rescuers

actually a film ive not seen or even heard of before.
    im sure many will find that hard to believe.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

One of Disney's best (BTW one of the animators did the 'graphics' for the Dragon's Lair and Space Ace arcade games) but quit Disney as a result of a dispute and went on to do:-
      The animated bits in Xanadu
      The Secret of NIHM
      An American Tail
      WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

It was one of my FAVOURITE films when I was little!! The little girl was called Penny, and for some reason was the only person in the world who knew the location of the legendary 'Devil's Eye' diamond. She was kidnapped by the apparently psychopathic Madame Medusa (a cross between Cruella DeVille and Teresa May) and her hopeless sidekick Snoops, and held in their HQ, which was a derelict paddle steamer in the Florida swamps, until she spilled the beans. Two mice from the Prisoner's Aid Society are dispatched to her rescue (the Prisoner's Aid Society being the rodent equivalent of Amnesty International, which is dedicated to helping humans in distress)- nervous janitor Bernard and the elegant, suave Ms.Bianca, and experienced Hungarian mouse spy. They fly to Florida on 'Albatross Airways' run by the wisecracking albatross Orville, and rely upon the local swamp-dwelling animals as back-up.
        Madame Medusa had a WONDERFUL vehicle called the 'Swampmobile' to get around on, it was like a rocket-powered Model-T Ford mounted on a flat-bottomed boat chassis. It was really cool, I LOVED that thing! Bernard & Bianca make do with a streamlined lily-leaf for their own transport, powered by a frantic dragonfly called Evinrude who serves as their outboard motor.
        In all this is a terrific film- Bob Newhart did the voice of Bernard. There are a number of 'Rescuers' books written by Margery Sharp, though I don't think that the film was based on any of them.

Comment

You forgot to mention Brutus and Nero the alligators.
          WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

When me & my brother were young we had The Recuers book of the film confusingly named Bernard & Bianca.

This was in the days before Disney Videos were common & any Disney animated films on TV were ultra-rare.

I couldn't never unstand why Mary Poppins & the Herbie films were shown about once a year when all their 1930-70s features were as likely to turn up on British TV as a season of video nasties.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

You lot think the albartoss's landings were bad?
              You should see mine on MSFS2004 and even landed nose first on it once..
              WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Ahhh I loved that film - the bit where Penny is out on the boat looking up at the stars and "Someone's Waiting To Love You" is playing - ohh what a tearjerker!!

Comment

What about The Rescuers Down under. Another fantastic film. So funny in places. Especially Wilbur's landing in the outback.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                    What about The Rescuers Down under. Another fantastic film. So funny in places. Especially Wilbur's landing in the outback.
                    I remember my Sister had the Wilbur figure in a Happy Meal.

Comment

I had no idea that McDonalds produced Rescuers toys. However I can remember them releasing figures of mickey, Donald the White Rabbit etc. on round bases when Disney Land Paris opened.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                        I had no idea that McDonalds produced Rescuers toys. However I can remember them releasing figures of mickey, Donald the White Rabbit etc. on round bases when Disney Land Paris opened.
                        The one sister had was a promotion for The Rescuers Down Under rather than the original film.

Comment

Working...
                        X