X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Doctor Who is 48 Today!

Originally posted by darren View Post
    must agree battyrat i find it hard to get into matt smith as the dr.
    i cant maje sense where he is cincerned.
    stories to short etc.

I wonder is it fown to money that a story is only 1 45 min episode.
    No, not down to money; Doctor Who has a much larger budget now than it had in the old days. The stories are in the 45 minute format simply because that is now the format commonly used for this type of drama; nobody makes 25 minute serials anymore, except the soaps. It's felt that 45 minutes to an hour is the length the audience requires. Though to b e fair, every 13 part series of Doctor Who contains three two part stories, and with a total running time of 90 minutes, they are effectively the same length as an old four parter.

Also id like to see stories where the silurians are involved.
    The Silurians have appeared in both of the last two series'.

Comment

Matt Smith is ok but there is something I just don't like about the way he is portrayed as the doctor,perhaps it is more to do with the way the storys themselves are directed,perhaps he just needs slightly longer in each story for his character to shine more.In a way he appears to be a bit of troughton,and davidson,mccoy all mixed together.I think the idea has to be to use a doctor as far removed from the previous doctor as possible.Explains Tom Baker after Patrick Troughton,or the weeker Peter Davidson after the stronger minded tom baker,or the arrogant colin baker after davidson,etc.Not too sure about his travelling companions,rose was ok but many of them like that obnoxious bride to be companion,and the two he has now....shudders with anticipation of being sick over another love comment from roary over his bit/wife/whatever.The Doctor seems to show much more of his feelings then ever before in Dr Who which is something we don't always see that much with the classic series which is a nice touch.

But so much now has been written into the story which contradicts or even goes against certain important elements in the original story line it's hard to believe at times it is the same program,perhaps the people writing today have very little knowledge of the classic Dr Who series,or just wants to alter the mythology to suit themselves.

But then the Doctor always belongs to the younger generation as much as the doctors we remember from our youth belongs to us.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
        The new doctor does not make all that sence either,as a time lord like in the old episodes,time has no boundaries to a time traveller.The shear fact that a timeloard can excist past his own point of demise is proof enough that the extinction of his homeworld has no real importance to why he cannot visit his home world,as he can easily travel in time to the point where his home world still excists and visit it.He has no restrictions apart from those he makes himself.
        It doesn't work like that. Even in the original series, the Doctor wasn't supposed to cross his own time stream and would always meet other Time Lords in the same chronological order; he can travel into the past, yes, but he cannot meet past versions of his own people. He never could, except in cases where something had gone seriously wrong (as in The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors and The Two Doctors). That seems to be just how time travel works in Doctor Who.

Comment

But so much now has been written into the story which contradicts or even goes against certain important elements in the original story line it's hard to believe at times it is the same program,perhaps the people writing today have very little knowledge of the classic Dr Who series,or just wants to alter the mythology to suit themselves.
          I can't really see any major contradictions between the current and old series, instory terms; both Russell T Davies (whose work I admit I didn't like) and Steven Moffat are longtime fans with an encyclopediac knowledge of the show's history. But as far as altering the mythology to suit themselves goes; several classic series creative teams did the same thing! The Time Lords as depicted in the 1970s by Hinchcliffe and Holmes bore no resemblance to the versions previously seen, and even Terry Nation rewrote the history of the Daleks in 1975!

Comment

Yes the Silurians have been in recent Dr Who adventures,perhaps you mean the Sea Devils who were always good at scaring kids.

I did like the classic silurians though,but they get around the massive change of appearance by saying that they are a diffrant species.Would of liked the new ones more if they kept the reptillian face instead of using it as just as a mask.Now they are as far too human to look at.

Comment

Yes the Silurians have been in recent Dr Who adventures,perhaps you mean the Sea Devils who were always good at scaring kids.

I did like the classic silurians though,but they get around the massive change of appearance by saying that they are a diffrant species.Would of liked the new ones more if they kept the reptillian face instead of using it as just as a mask.Now they are as far too human to look at.
              I agree (though I can see why they did it; the original Silurian masks didn't allow for much expression). I also have a problem with the female Silurians. I a may be being a bit too picky here, but I don't think there are any reptilian species with mammary glands.

Comment

Hopefully when the anniversary comes Matt'll be off and a more older actor will step up, the intro theme will have more of the traditional da-da-da-dum, da-da-da-dum repetitive bass like it used to have and the writing will be better....still, its all a load of tosh that I watch and will watch to divert the mind from lifes problems as usual.

Comment

just found out.
                  the Doctor has been played by various other actors which are not considered to be canonical incarnations of the Doctor.
                  In October 2010 the sunday telegraph revealed that the series co-creator Sydney Newman had urged the BBC to recast the role of the Doctor as a female Time Lady during the ratings crisis of the late 1980s.

jon pertwee the third dr was the voice of spotty in suprted.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                    Hopefully when the anniversary comes Matt'll be off and a more older actor will step up, the intro theme will have more of the traditional da-da-da-dum, da-da-da-dum repetitive bass like it used to have and the writing will be better....still, its all a load of tosh that I watch and will watch to divert the mind from lifes problems as usual.
                    intros like these like these mate.
                    http://youtu.be/T4q0Hts1HdU
                    http://youtu.be/zLseY942cwo
                    http://youtu.be/4gghshhTnZk
                    http://youtu.be/oqcao3S_1Qw

thing was back in the early days they had very little money and made some great stories.
                    in a docummentary they said even if they had more money in the early days they feel the old stories would have been worse.

i heard that on my two disc set of genesis of the daleks.

terror of the autons was a real chiller.

i just feel the stories now are two short.
                    45 mins in not long enough i feel its rushed.
                    ok there is an odd 90 min story.
                    but i wish all stories where ninety mins or more if they where they could do more.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I think Rory has spoiled the show.His character is weak and distracting!

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                        ok there is an odd 90 min story.
                        but i wish all stories where ninety mins or more if they where they could do more.
                        Usually, there are three 90 minute two parters in each 13 part series, and seven single parters. But yes, I would probably make two parters the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by macster123 View Post
                          I think Rory has spoiled the show.His character is weak and distracting!
                          Its not Rory that spoils the show its the writing. Its pretentious rubbish really. The writers don't give Rory enough. He was really good in the Gangers two parter. Its actually Amy and River that really ruin it. Amy's a middle aged man's fantasy and River is just drivel...Moffatt trying to egotistically stamp his own rubbish on the show much as Davies simply took the character of the Dr and recreated him as a Tom Cruise-esque smarmy, grinning, omni-sexual prat called Jack Harkness...

The late Liz Sladen once said the programme IS the Doctor. Assistants add to it. She said the assistants job was to be the viewer, ask questions etc. Ever since the new series we have these so-called self important assistants like Rose...its boring.

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                            Its not Rory that spoils the show its the writing. Its pretentious rubbish really. The writers don't give Rory enough. He was really good in the Gangers two parter. Its actually Amy and River that really ruin it. Amy's a middle aged man's fantasy and River is just drivel...Moffatt trying to egotistically stamp his own rubbish on the show much as Davies simply took the character of the Dr and recreated him as a Tom Cruise-esque smarmy, grinning, omni-sexual prat called Jack Harkness...
                            er, the Doctor and Jack Harkness are entirely separate characters...

The late Liz Sladen once said the programme IS the Doctor. Assistants add to it. She said the assistants job was to be the viewer, ask questions etc. Ever since the new series we have these so-called self important assistants like Rose...its boring.
                            Lis was a wonderful companion, but she was wrong on this point. When Doctor Who first began in 1963 it was an ensemble show; the three (!) companions were just as central to the plot as the Doctor, and it remained that way throughout the sixties. All that Moffat has done is take the series back to its roots in that respect. And in my opinion, the writing is far from pretentious rubbish now; it's damn good science fiction, something TV has been short of for far too long.

Comment

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
                              er, the Doctor and Jack Harkness are entirely separate characters...Lis was a wonderful companion, but she was wrong on this point. When Doctor Who first began in 1963 it was an ensemble show; the three (!) companions were just as central to the plot as the Doctor, and it remained that way throughout the sixties. All that Moffat has done is take the series back to its roots in that respect. And in my opinion, the writing is far from pretentious rubbish now; it's damn good science fiction, something TV has been short of for far too long.
                              If I ever had the misfortune of meeting other Who fans I'd scream - I do know what I'm on about concerning the show in general. I know they are separate. Its obvious Davies took the essentials from Who and made a gay version....its pretty clear I meant that...the BBC wouldn't dare allow him to inject such characteristics onto the character...as for the show now well, all I can say is if you like it you like it, I think its become rubbish and thats saying something having been a lifelong Who fan. Moffats writing is drivel. The stories are convoluted, drag on take you down one path then are easily resolved with some lame plot hole ended manner. As for The Silence - did he explain WHY the tardis exploded, the cracks in time? Did he explain WHO said that rubbish about 'silence will fall'...ERMMM no. Also he did that '11th Doc dies only for him to use that big robot body rubbish. Its also predictable. All this 'at the fall of the 11th' (meaning in 2013 Matt LEAVES), 'the question will be asked' (meaning: he'll try and explain away the Doctors actual name....yawn.

Comment

I am also a lifelong Who fan. Been watching since 1975, own every episode. I think it's great. I guess Moffat Who really is like Marmite, but there's no need to get so agressive about it. Believe me, I think I'd consider meeting you a 'misfortune' to, based on that attitude.

Comment

Working...
                                X