X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Doctor Who!

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
    This is a non-issue. The idea of a female Doctor was first put forward as a joke by John Nathan-Turner in 1981, and it's been resurrected by the newspapers every few years ever since; every time there's any prospect of a new Doctor, someone brings up the same thing. I can't believe anyone thinks it's a new idea or that it would ever actually happen.
    I was talking more on the lines of 'in theory'. I don't think it will happen either.

Comment

This is a non-issue. The idea of a female Doctor was first put forward as a joke by John Nathan-Turner in 1981, and it's been resurrected by the newspapers every few years ever since; every time there's any prospect of a new Doctor, someone brings up the same thing. I can't believe anyone thinks it's a new idea or that it would ever actually happen.
      Its really a publicity fodder thing that the BBC use for the show. So your of the belief it wouldn't happen? I don't want it to happen - obviously. Its basically jumping the shark a la Happy Days...

Comment

The BBC would never risk alienating a huge chunk of the audience with such a move.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
          sf1378: Well it doesn't answer it. I'm astonished at your first sentence. You're condemning all sci fi literature with that arguement. And why do you assume you may be asked to fancy a female Doctor? I'm sorry you don't know why I'm perplexed. But this is a forum for debate and I will always enjoy that.
          Oh...its clear what I meant. If you can't understand it thats that. Loads of people think sci fi's a load of twoddle, but they can still read it and enjoy it for what it is but at the same time think, thats a load of rubbish and laugh at it too - like me. You've both answered the stupid question 'female dr' but its clear what I meant by 'fancying the Dr' not including myself in that statement, I meant the general male audience for the show - they'd naturally inject a 'sexiness into a supposed female version' which would turn on its head loads of stuff from the shows history...if you don't understand what I've now elaborated on then carry on with what seems a pale imitation online of John Le Mesurier's art of being perplexed...

Comment

The BBC would never risk alienating a huge chunk of the audience with such a move.
            True. Very true.

Lets discuss something else now. I'm actually hopeful that the anniversary won't include 11 Doctors in it - need something different - maybe have 11 whizzing through key stories of his past incarnations with some clever CGI trickery to integrate him into bits but not be seen by his former selves? I did enjoy The 5 Doctors but they did look...old, past it really and its a bit naff having him argue with himself - you'd think he'd simply outguess and say what the other would probably go to say etc?

Maybe a story that finally reveals why he left Gallifrey, took the Tardis and what ever happened to his Grand Daughter would be nice...but like I said, it'll still be an 1hr or so of twoddle ha ha!

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
              Oh...its clear what I meant. If you can't understand it thats that. Loads of people think sci fi's a load of twoddle, but they can still read it and enjoy it for what it is but at the same time think, thats a load of rubbish and laugh at it too - like me. You've both answered the stupid question 'female dr' but its clear what I meant by 'fancying the Dr' not including myself in that statement, I meant the general male audience for the show - they'd naturally inject a 'sexiness into a supposed female version' which would turn on its head loads of stuff from the shows history...if you don't understand what I've now elaborated on then carry on with what seems a pale imitation online of John Le Mesurier's art of being perplexed...
              That's an incredibly judgmental post, saying all kinds of things that I didn't mean or even suggest. As I said before, I hate the confrontational thing. I'd be happy to leave it there, sf1378.

Comment

I'm being judgemental of the whole notion of sci fi - Marine Boy, its pretty clear what I've said. If you cannot understand it then thats that. I've elaborated on it as clearly as I can. This is one of the main reasons I make light of sci fi in general - its taken too seriously. However, with certain facets of certain programmes certain factors are set in stone so to speak - i.e. dr who being a woman is something ridiculous - those things irk me. Tones said it well.

Another example to elaborate clearer is that while I like G.I.JOE I don't go all anal about it like many US collectors do on their precious forums - I try and make light of it, they find that sacrelidge so to speak...which is stupid. Its like Trekkies learning Klingon or Klingon fighting arts - its ridiculous, its not real, its fantasy and its there to simply forget the real world, your problems and just simply watch for what it is - twoddle. If thats not clearer for you then I'm happy to leave it there.

Comment

I'm being judgemental of the whole notion of sci fi - Marine Boy, its pretty clear what I've said. If you cannot understand it then thats that. I've elaborated on it as clearly as I can. This is one of the main reasons I make light of sci fi in general - its taken too seriously. However, with certain facets of certain programmes certain factors are set in stone so to speak - i.e. dr who being a woman is something ridiculous - those things irk me. Tones said it well.

Another example to elaborate clearer is that while I like G.I.JOE I don't go all anal about it like many US collectors do on their precious forums - I try and make light of it, they find that sacrelidge so to speak...which is stupid. Its like Trekkies learning Klingon or Klingon fighting arts - its ridiculous, its not real, its fantasy and its there to simply forget the real world, your problems and just simply watch for what it is - twoddle. If thats not clearer for you then I'm happy to leave it there.
                  I do understand a lot of what you have said and your views are clear to me. I don't agree with many of them but they are clear. Thank you.

Comment

But thats what forums are - debates that we all don't agree points of view on

Comment

But thats what forums are - debates that we all don't agree points of view on
                      Which is what I said in post 180. OMG! (as the modern phrase has it). We agree! lol

Comment

wow kameleon only twice im a bit shocked at that.

it would be fair to say he had the shortest run as a companion.[
                        is it my imagination or did turlought leave the same episode as kameleon came into it.

have never been a fan of matt thought tennant was much better.

smith is my least fave of all the dr's.
                        but hey thats my view.

QUOTE=tony ingram;166309]Kamelion came along quite awhile after Adric died and Nyssa left, in fact. And we only saw him twice.

My favourite Doctor is still Tom Baker, but Matt Smith is now in second place. After that, I'd have to say Patrick Troughton and Paul McGann (who I really like in his Doctor Who radio stories) for joint third. But I like all of them, except David Tennant. I could never get into his Doctor.

Favourite companions would be Sarah Jane Smith, Jamie, Victoria and Zoe from the Troughton days, Leela and Amy and Rory.[/QUOTE]
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Not sure about the Kameleon and Turlough time line. I always thought that as Kameleon could shape-change, they could have utilised him more.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                            Not sure about the Kameleon and Turlough time line. I always thought that as Kameleon could shape-change, they could have utilised him more.
                            Turlough arrived in Mawdryn Undead in February 1983. Kamelion first appeared three stories later in The King's Demons in March 1983, but was then not seen again until Planet of Fire in February 1984, the same story in which Turlough left. Kamelion didn't appear at all in any of the five stories in between those two. I hope this isn't boring anybody?

Comment

cheers tony great info

so thats why i thought kameleon did not first appear until this episode turlough left as i never had seen him in other stories.
                              if im right i think that planet in the one turlough left was his home planet.

Turlough arrived in Mawdryn Undead in February 1983. Kamelion first appeared three stories later in The King's Demons in March 1983, but was then not seen again until Planet of Fire in February 1984, the same story in which Turlough left. Kamelion didn't appear at all in any of the five stories in between those two. I hope this isn't boring anybody?
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                                cheers tony great info

so thats why i thought kameleon did not first appear until this episode turlough left as i never had seen him in other stories.
                                if im right i think that planet in the one turlough left was his home planet.
                                Close. It was a colony of his home planet, and he was picked up by his own people and taken home at the end of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X