X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Doctor Who!

poor peter.

last dr who story i bought was inferno jon pertwee.
    leela was the warrior woman she was in the sunmakers.

jon had loads of good stories one being warriors of the deep.

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
    Yes, Peter had a full Tardis! My favourite Doctors were the ones I watched as a child and teenager. Pertwee and Baker. My Fave companions were Jo Grant, Sarah Jane and Harry Sullivan ... also Leela.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
      ...jon had loads of good stories one being warriors of the deep.
      I think Warriors was a Peter Davison story

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
        yes thats right i remember now.

so who are your fave dr's and companions mate.

my two fave drs are peter davison and jon pertwee.
        peter at one time had i think 4 companions adric,tegan,nyssa and kameleon,
        Kamelion came along quite awhile after Adric died and Nyssa left, in fact. And we only saw him twice.

My favourite Doctor is still Tom Baker, but Matt Smith is now in second place. After that, I'd have to say Patrick Troughton and Paul McGann (who I really like in his Doctor Who radio stories) for joint third. But I like all of them, except David Tennant. I could never get into his Doctor.

Favourite companions would be Sarah Jane Smith, Jamie, Victoria and Zoe from the Troughton days, Leela and Amy and Rory.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
          I think Warriors was a Peter Davison story
          It was. From 1984.

Comment

Is this thread going to run for the whole duration of the shows history? Yes, lots of us like the show, or some aspects of it but this is more like 'MasterMind' with the overly encyclopaedic knowledge being posted again and again...its things like this that put me off the show and even talking about it.

Its a bit like asking Tony when someone farted in what episode and at what precise minute in the dvd playback? I suppose he'd know the answer to it as well....lol. Did a Sea Warrior fart then in the 1984 story?

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
              Is this thread going to run for the whole duration of the shows history? Yes, lots of us like the show, or some aspects of it but this is more like 'MasterMind' with the overly encyclopaedic knowledge being posted again and again...its things like this that put me off the show and even talking about it.

Its a bit like asking Tony when someone farted in what episode and at what precise minute in the dvd playback? I suppose he'd know the answer to it as well....lol. Did a Sea Warrior fart then in the 1984 story?
              I'm not actually sure that reptiles fart, even humanoid ones. But what's wrong with talking about a TV show in the TV section?

Comment

I don't think this thread is especially fan-ish. I'm enjoying it in a general chat kind of way.

Comment

Still a bit baffled as to what's wrong with being a fan. I've been a Doctor Who fan all my life but if it upsets people I'll stay out of the thread.

Comment

Just trying to lighten the mood up Tony. I just like taking the proverbial out of the show.

I really wouldn't like it if the Daily Mails story that Lara Pulver will become 'The Doctor' after the anniversary. As far as I'm concerned the characters MALE. Its established, afterall, hes over 900 yrs old. They also have TIME LADIES on his homeworld, or did. Anyhow, it'd be the death knell to little boys as the toys make tonnes of cash with the male lead. I just think its all feminist pc twoddle saying 'can't he be a she?' Nonsense. If they were to have done such a thing it would have happened years and years ago. Neil Gaiman's 'Corsair' comment 'he/she' was really a load of rubbish too...Time Lords, Time Ladies, not any of this changing sex rubbish. I really will hate the show if they go down that route...

Comment

Just trying to lighten the mood up Tony. I just like taking the proverbial out of the show.

I really wouldn't like it if the Daily Mails story that Lara Pulver will become 'The Doctor' after the anniversary. As far as I'm concerned the characters MALE. Its established, afterall, hes over 900 yrs old. They also have TIME LADIES on his homeworld, or did. Anyhow, it'd be the death knell to little boys as the toys make tonnes of cash with the male lead. I just think its all feminist pc twoddle saying 'can't he be a she?' Nonsense. If they were to have done such a thing it would have happened years and years ago. Neil Gaiman's 'Corsair' comment 'he/she' was really a load of rubbish too...Time Lords, Time Ladies, not any of this changing sex rubbish. I really will hate the show if they go down that route...
                      I've never had a problem with the idea of the Doctor being a female. And maybe some of the Time Ladies we have seen in the past were males at some point in their previous lives.

But I hadn't thought about the toy figure angle for boys. You may have a point there.

Comment

I do. I just think its ridiculous - bit like suddenly having 'Miss Marple' being a HE. Or Columbo as a SHE...it just doesn't work. If they'd done a '12 lives as a male, 12 lives as a female' rule way back when maybe I'd stomach it but this idea of 'suddenly hes a she' is ridiculous...its appeasing the feminists and all that twoddle that made the notion come up in the first place.

I don't care if I'm taken as sexist in my comments, its a stupid show but some facets of it are 'holy' i.e. hes male.

Comment

I do. I just think its ridiculous - bit like suddenly having 'Miss Marple' being a HE. Or Columbo as a SHE...it just doesn't work. If they'd done a '12 lives as a male, 12 lives as a female' rule way back when maybe I'd stomach it but this idea of 'suddenly hes a she' is ridiculous...its appeasing the feminists and all that twoddle that made the notion come up in the first place.

I don't care if I'm taken as sexist in my comments, its a stupid show but some facets of it are 'holy' i.e. hes male.
                          If they made the Doctor female, I doubt it would have anything to do with 'appeasing the feminists'. I'm a little perplexed how you can feel something is so 'holy' if you think it's a "stupid show". Why do you care so much? I'm not being awkward or confrontational. I'm just interested.

Comment

Well it is stupid because its make believe hokum - we don't have time travel - no matter how cleverly written sci fi can be its all stupid really, compared to real world issues. I can watch it, either enjoy it or not, I find myself thinking - sf1378, you know an awful lot about this irrelevant programme really. However, certain aspects of it even to me, are established - he's male being the foremost one. I just think it takes something away from it by changing the characters sex. I fail to see whats so perplexing about my comments - it even amazes me it irks me so much that I feel this way about a load of twoddle thats lucked out and ran and ran as long as it has but it does. I guess I just like this one aspect to remain the same, actors in the role come and go, whether young or old but I do like the fact he's male and thats one aspect that should remain - it wouldn't work otherwise. Going from liking the character to fancying 'her'? No thanks. That should answer it for you MM.

Comment

This is a non-issue. The idea of a female Doctor was first put forward as a joke by John Nathan-Turner in 1981, and it's been resurrected by the newspapers every few years ever since; every time there's any prospect of a new Doctor, someone brings up the same thing. I can't believe anyone thinks it's a new idea or that it would ever actually happen.

Comment

sf1378: Well it doesn't answer it. I'm astonished at your first sentence. You're condemning all sci fi literature with that arguement. And why do you assume you may be asked to fancy a female Doctor? I'm sorry you don't know why I'm perplexed. But this is a forum for debate and I will always enjoy that.

Comment

Working...
                                X