Argos Book from 1976

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argos Book from 1976

I didn't even think Argos was going way back then, but according to this it was............

http://www.retronaut.co/2010/12/argos-catalogue-1976/

Enjoy the memories!!!
    sigpic

Re: Argos Book from 1976

Tubular chrome framed chairs, stainless steel bowls & eggcups, my whole childhood house is in this book!!
    sigpic

Comment

Surprising. Some of the things don't look as old fashioned as I would have expected from a 1976 book. I think household fashions have gone full circle so lots of the things you get now actually resemble the things you could get then. Noticed the duvets are called continental quilts, and those whole head hair dryers are a hoot. Remember when all hairdressers used to have them?

I'm doubting the stork theory now too. I reckon my parents got me from the Argos catalogue lol.
      Last edited by Trickyvee; 23-11-2011, 20:19.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

I have the full Argos catalogue from 1976 and I'm sure we have images of it on this forum.
        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

My parents certainly bought a few items featured, though not always from Argos though.

I've seen a few other things at other people's houses, or as TV props over the years.

nothing says 1970's more than 3 pages of non-Zippo lighters, & cookware with artificial flower patterns.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

What about the stools with built in steps........
            sigpic

Comment

I think one of my Aunts still has a step stool, though it was wood framed rather then metal.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3830187...7619071382653/ full scan set of 1976 argos catalouge
                sigpic

Comment

It seems funny how much of the stuff in that catalogue I can remember either from my family home,or relatives and friends houses.Some of it I would be more then comfortable with in my home now like the smoked glass top round wooden coffee table.Took a fancy to that silver plated squirrel too.A few pieces like the carpet sweepers seem a bit dated,but that floaty ufo type hoover is more then welcome as I do not get on all that well with many of the modern types.As for the toys...can I have one of each please.

Comment

Thanks for posting this, its brilliant!

Those cameras LOL

I'm right back in the 70s...awsome days for a kid!

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                      Surprising. Some of the things don't look as old fashioned as I would have expected from a 1976 book. I think household fashions have gone full circle so lots of the things you get now actually resemble the things you could get then. Noticed the duvets are called continental quilts, and those whole head hair dryers are a hoot. Remember when all hairdressers used to have them?

I'm doubting the stork theory now too. I reckon my parents got me from the Argos catalogue lol.
                      Everything fashion and homewise goes full circle all the time - flares never go out of fashion really, as does anything art deco or 1920s onward - there'll be a return to men wearing 1930s onward straight legged trews soon enough again...atm we're in a 'bit of the 1980s a la mode etc clothes wise mixed with the 60s and 70s...anyhow, did anyone else spot the BB / AIR GUNS in the catalogue?! How times change...

Comment

I noticed the guns and stopped to take a closer look.Not so much by seeing them in the catalogue,but rather because some of my mates had rifles and pistols.The cheeper one of the two a mate used to own something very close to it.Nobody ever batted an eyelid when they saw kids with air rifles down the river having a bit of fun.And if a local farmer knew you had a gun then there was always good money for a bit of ratting.The closest I ever got to owning one was a bb type gun that fired hard ceramic/brown chalky type silver or gold coloured balls.These broke up on impact with things.Had a whole jar of multicoloured metallic coloured ceramic type shot as well.Good fun all the same.Poor old toy soldiers.

The main changes in the catalogue seems to be with electricals and technology especially.Some of it seems well dated.The cameras especially now we have digital ones.Calculators are fast becomming a thing of the past.I still use one at home bacause it's quicker but at work I tend to use the one built into my phone.The digital watches are rather bulky and clumsy to wear.Type writers are a thing of the past as well.My last one was a smiths corona.

Some things in there probably had very little use back then and can be laughed at now like the blow up blue type shorts,giggles at the idea.

Comment

Then again the blue blow up sun bed shorts may of been in another catalogue I looked at over the weekend as I cannot see them in the 1976 argos one at the moment,either that or I had a funny day dream whilst being here yesterday,lol.

Comment

Working...
                          X