BT advert c.1980

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BT advert c.1980

Does anybody remember one of the 'It doesn't cost much to keep in touch' series of ads run by British Telecom in it's pre-privatisation days?
    I think it came out in late '79 or early '80, and featured a young newlywed couple emigrating to Australia. They and the bride's family are waiting nervously in an airport departure lounge when the couple's flight number and departure gate is called- the young husband gets up and says something like, 'Well, that's us I suppose'. The girl hugs her younger brother who says 'Take care of yourself', then turns to Mum, who is welling up with tears with trembling lower lip, and they tearfully embrace. As the couple are walking towards their departure gate, dad calls out with forced jocularity 'Now you remember, keep in touch now- d'you hear?'
    This has stuck in my memory because it was ages before I twigged that they were going abroad to LIVE- I thought that they were just going off on holiday!! I couldn't understand what all the emotions and tears were for if they were just off for a fortnight's break in Sydney!!

Re: BT advert c.1980

Originally posted by Roxxy View Post
    Does anybody remember one of the 'It doesn't cost much to keep in touch' series of ads run by British Telecom in it's pre-privatisation days?
    I think it came out in late '79 or early '80, and featured a young newlywed couple emigrating to Australia. They and the bride's family are waiting nervously in an airport departure lounge when the couple's flight number and departure gate is called- the young husband gets up and says something like, 'Well, that's us I suppose'. The girl hugs her younger brother who says 'Take care of yourself', then turns to Mum, who is welling up with tears with trembling lower lip, and they tearfully embrace. As the couple are walking towards their departure gate, dad calls out with forced jocularity 'Now you remember, keep in touch now- d'you hear?'
    This has stuck in my memory because it was ages before I twigged that they were going abroad to LIVE- I thought that they were just going off on holiday!! I couldn't understand what all the emotions and tears were for if they were just off for a fortnight's break in Sydney!!
    Yes - I can remember this. I think it was during the post "Busby" pre "Beattie" era. Despite my best efforts I couldn't find an example posted on Youtube.

Comment

Working...
    X