Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you still have Car boot Sales in your Town/City?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you still have Car boot Sales in your Town/City?

In my Home Town, we are luckily still gifted to have a very very decent but not spectaculor Sunday Car Boot Market where the traders take their good's to the Market Stalls themselves. Also on a Tuesday we have one what is termed in a "Collectors Mode" , I can not think of the name excatly the Council term it. It is still good but not a patch on what it was 10 year's since, just like the sunday one is suffering a tad I think, but I think it'llsurvive (as hopefuly will the Tuesday one) but that has no patch on the Sunday one at all in quality of what people bring and stalls rented.

Though no way at all will I complain, even though my local council are no good at even organising a Baked Bean Fight in a Bath of Baked Beans, they arte that terrible at listening to the voters sadly but compared to many other Town's/City's nr by me they seem to not want to let these 2 gems die like our close neighbours are. long may and must this continue I hope and say. At least they can see that the economic downturn will encourage no new devlopments in to Town to create a lovley new setting etc as they desire. This just has to be a great move (leaving alone new fadded ideas and not getting in too deep in regards them) but i'm open to new devlopments though to help the economic crisis as long as the "old blood" is still kept. How do other members fare localy regards similar Markets/Car Boot Sales etc? t'd be cool to share thoughts etc

Re: Do you still have Car boot Sales etc or similar in your Town/City?

yes we do indeed still have car boots nearly each week.
    i only live in a small town but we have one each sunday in the local school car park.
    it starts at eight and finishes at 12 noon.

its always very well attended.

we also have a big carboot sale once a year must be around 1 hundred stalls.
    its each august and its on a footie pitch as long as its not raining.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
      yes we do indeed still have car boots nearly each week.
      i only live in a small town but we have one each sunday in the local school car park.
      it starts at eight and finishes at 12 noon.

its always very well attended.

we also have a big carboot sale once a year must be around 1 hundred stalls.
      its each august and its on a footie pitch as long as its not raining.
      That's great Darren. Most Town's near us probably don't have 2 - they have them just 1 daya nd a tiny one another day, even if they have say 1 that is.Sorry for my lack of making snse - if it appears so, it's because I am tired. Hope it makes sense though mate!!
      Last edited by 80sChav; 28-11-2011, 01:03.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
        That's great Darren. Most Town's near us probably don't have 2 - they have them just 1 daya nd a tiny one another day, even if they have say 1 that is.Sorry for my lack of making snse - if it appears so, it's because I am tired. Hope it makes sense though mate!!
        YES its makes sense are u crook.

In the town nearest from my own they also have lots of carboots.
        and they also attract a good crowd.

well if they did not get a good crowd and people did not spend they would not do them anymore.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Not any more.In the early 80's I could of started at the far end of the industrial estate with a boot sale and done three big ones before we reached the end of the estate,then there was the football ground boot sale,cricket club and usually one of the schools had one or the fire station.So it would of been around 6 or 7 boot sales every sunday morning.Then one by one they stopped.The last one was in the college grounds about 5 years ago.If I want to go to one now I would have to travel way out of town to a field in the middle of nowhere.Even then you can't guarentee it's going to be any more then a couple of booters at any one time there.I walked it once thinking it would be a good one as it was a nice day and found only three unpacked cars.Very long walk for nothing.Ok if you can hitch a ride with someone,but a pain to get to all the same.Really makes sundays boring now as I always looked forward to a good boot sale or two.

Comment

There are a few where I live and some of them are very popular, although the content isn't always what I would class as 'car boot'. Some have stalls there from farms selling food as part of farmer's markets, and other traders selling new goods as opposed to second hand things. These are all mixed together with the second hand stalls and is perhaps what keeps them going. The fairs that are all second hand goods aren't so popular.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

There seemed to be loads of carboots in & around Stockport from about the mid 1980s until the end of the 1990s.

At one time me & my Dad used to have a drive on a sunday morning & visit 1 or 2 CBS, as my Dad way always on the lookout for old records.

I guess by the end of the 1990's eBay & tighening up by trading standards (looking for stolen goods, & professional traders pretending to be otherwise) probably had thinned out the numbers somewhat.

My local market has a few non-professional stalls on a Saturday morning, & if I'm passing by. I've bought 1 or 2 cheap 2nd hand CD's from them.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                Not any more.In the early 80's I could of started at the far end of the industrial estate with a boot sale and done three big ones before we reached the end of the estate,then there was the football ground boot sale,cricket club and usually one of the schools had one or the fire station.So it would of been around 6 or 7 boot sales every sunday morning.Then one by one they stopped.The last one was in the college grounds about 5 years ago.If I want to go to one now I would have to travel way out of town to a field in the middle of nowhere.Even then you can't guarentee it's going to be any more then a couple of booters at any one time there.I walked it once thinking it would be a good one as it was a nice day and found only three unpacked cars.Very long walk for nothing.Ok if you can hitch a ride with someone,but a pain to get to all the same.Really makes sundays boring now as I always looked forward to a good boot sale or two.
                Gosh, this'd of been all my money gone for the week if there was 6 or 7 near where I lived Amazing, brill .... I can not find the words to say how great that must of been. On a slightly similar note 9I make a new thead on it) has anyone ever been to the Spalding Flower Show?

I went there once in 1995 and it was just simply amazing, the biggest most fin community day ever ... people setting up little front drive sales on treseel tables/selling their un-wanted junk. It was am amazing day - even if you are like me (not a Flower fan). The Coach-loads that was there too, there were Coaches parked just literaly in any place imaginable for them to park - in Fire Station yards ... down little Car Parks at Sides of Shop's ... everywhere. I doubt i've ever seen such alocation in these shores so busy (par London obviously) for somewhere that host's events on such a scale/level. The sad thing is... i've hoped to make at least 1 return visit but it has never worked out as so. Perhaps though my memory of 95 may though be tainted sadly though if the Show's popularity has droped .... that's something i'd hate to happen/be so!

Comment

Working...
                X