School gone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School gone.

Today my high school was demolished by controlled explosion. I went up to watch it. You can see a vid of it here:

As we waited I wasn't really sure how I felt, but when the hooter went and I realised it was going to disappear I felt gutted. When it fell so quickly I just felt sad to see it go.

None of my schools are left. My Sixth Form college is still there but is spread out over a number of sites, my University is still there but is almost unrecognisable from when I was a student.

When that high school blew I felt like a bit of my childhood went with it.

Cheers,
    Finnthedude.

Re: School gone.

I wish they'd pull down my old high school. It's an ugly concrete bunker complex built in 1963 with windows that resemble gun slits. It looks like it was designed by Saddam Hussein! And in the years since I graduated a double layer of perimeter fencing had sprung up.

Comment

'That was pretty sick'....I may be 33 but some slang sayings are stupid....

My old school is now empty. Buildings are all still there but anything of value was long taken out by either the old school or the buyer of the land. Whats odd is that it hasn't been redeveloped - expect the owner is waiting for the value to carry on increasing then....crafty.

I hated Presentation College, my time there and am glad it went bust.

Comment

The only school I went to which is not longer i use has now been converted into flats.

The main building was a big house that was used as a private girls school & later sold to the local council.

During the conversion most of the additional buildings were pulled down, & a new block built in the style of the original main building.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I went back to see my old comprehensive school a few years ago............it is now a college with new buildings...........it once had a huge piece of sandstone at the front with it's name on............all gone

Comment

Hang on? Snow?

All the schools I went to are now unrecognisable. One of them has been completely rebuilt from the ground up, and the other has been modified so much I can hardly pick out the points from the original building.

Comment

That almost brought a tear to my eye and it isn't even a building I know! I always feel like that when I see buildings demolished, just thinking about what must have gone on inside them over the years and the memories people have, all gone in a few seconds.

All of my schools still exist, but primary school had a weird arrangement of a ground floor and an upper floor set back from the ground floor and built on concrete pillars. The upper floor was demolished a few years ago.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

My old comp was knocked down a couple of years ago and replaced with new biuildings on the same site. It may have the same name, badge and motto but it's a different school to me. It must have been quite hard watching your school being demolished, just likie seeing a big part of your past go forever.

My infant and junior schools still exist. I paid a visit to the juniors earlier in the year and amazingly and much to my delight it had not changed very much at all in the 29 years since I had last stepped foot through the doors.
                The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Speaking of demolitions, this is the one that holds memories for me. Blyth power station, demolished in 2003. Those huge chimneys were iconic to anyone living North of the Tyne, looming large on the coast. I went to watch them fall. Got a lump in my throat then too!

1976 Vintage

Comment

I visited my old secondary school last summer & hadn't changed that much in the 15 years since I left.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                      I always feel like that when I see buildings demolished, just thinking about what must have gone on inside them over the years and the memories people have, all gone in a few seconds.
                      All those moments will be lost, like tears in rain

(and no points for naming the film, that's too easy ).

If you watch the vid, you hear a lad say "Just think, we've walked around the whole of that school". The lad who said it was a lot younger than me, probably one of the last batch of pupils that went there from a couple of years ago. I thought it was quite profound.

Going to work this morning and not seeing that building was very strange.

Cheers,
                      Finnthedude.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                        That almost brought a tear to my eye and it isn't even a building I know! I always feel like that when I see buildings demolished, just thinking about what must have gone on inside them over the years and the memories people have, all gone in a few seconds.

All of my schools still exist, but primary school had a weird arrangement of a ground floor and an upper floor set back from the ground floor and built on concrete pillars. The upper floor was demolished a few years ago.

i feel the same when old buildings are pulled down.
                        All my schools are still standing and open for business.
                        my primary school is just over 4 decades old.

it has two floors and a few mobiles.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Pretty much every place I that provided the backdrop to my childhood has been demolished. Family home, Grandparents home, Junior school, Secondary school all gone. Even the sporting venues are no longer with us. (The Willows, home of Salford City Reds Rugby league team and Maine Road, home of Man City). This is the world that we live in. Buildings don't stand forever but i'll always have the memories.
                          "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

On a similar subject, i'm just sat watching the opening credits to Herbie Rides Again (lots of buildings being demolished). I said to my 4 yr old daughter "Is that man blowing all the buildings up"?. Her reply "No Daddy he's blowing them all down". Made me smile.
                            "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
                              Pretty much every place I that provided the backdrop to my childhood has been demolished. Family home, Grandparents home, Junior school, Secondary school all gone. Even the sporting venues are no longer with us. (The Willows, home of Salford City Reds Rugby league team and Maine Road, home of Man City). This is the world that we live in. Buildings don't stand forever but i'll always have the memories.

did not think maine rd had been demolished mind you.
                              sad when buildings go but memories aew something that cannot be taken away.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                              X