Learning the truth about Santa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning the truth about Santa

Who remembers the day when you came to realise that your parents had been telling you porky pies about the jolly fat man in the red suit?

I remember the day clearly. I was about 7 and already having a few doubts, but thought I should put it to my gran rather than risk blurting such a terrible thing out to my parents just incase they'd tell dear old Santa and he'd cross me off his list! So I asked gran rather sheepishly "...but he isn't real, is he?" and after a pause and with a smile of resignation at me growing up she just said "No, he isn't". I wasn't upset. I was actually quite chuffed that my suspicions were right but I bet it must be quite traumatic for many children.
    1976 Vintage

Re: Learning the truth about Santa

funy enough i was seven as well.
    the idea of santa coming down the chimney seemed a bit farfetched.

for one thing how would he get down the chimney with the sack.
    what if a fire was going when he tried to get down burned santa burned pressies.
    that was back in 82.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Santa isn't real? :cry:

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
        Santa isn't real? :cry:
        fraid not.
        when did u stop believing in him.

Comment

Of course he is! I was just going through a phase

But yes the whole chimney thing always got me wondering from a very early age, so even when I did believe my parents used to open the back door just before I went to bed so he could get in that way.

I'd poke my head out too and if any aircraft were passing mam would say it was Santa on his way.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

I was told Santa had a magic key to get in to leave the presents when we went from a coal fire to gas! My sister told me that there was no Santa on Christmas eve 1979. I was 6! It was a horrible thing for her to do. I wouldn't believe her do she took me down stairs to show me my parents putting everything out. I was mortified!
            Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
              fraid not.
              when did u stop believing in him.
              I was about 5. I've always had quite a good BS detector and even as a young kid I could see things didn't quite add up regarding Saint Nicholas. Oddly I never really let on that I did know, mainly because I had a few younger cousins and I never knew how far into reality their minds had strolled. I had a few Asian friends and obviously they didn't do the whole Christmas related stuff. I think that was one of the main give aways.

Comment

I must have been about 9 and my friends told me, I must have been naive as I didn't believe tham at first
                The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I think I was 5-6 when I found out the truth.

Though for a couple of year afterwards I used to think that after I went to bed my Dad drove to all our relatives (some living far away!) exchanging presents.

There was someone I knew who claimed they still believed in Santa until they were 13! This might have been a wind-up though!
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I was 6. My older brother told me and when I said I didn't believe him, he took me into my parents room and showed me all of my presents, wrapped and in the wardrobe. I still pretended I believed in Santa as I thought my parents would be upset if they knew. My mom finally told me when I was 11 and I told her I already knew and how. She was more gutted than I was!

Comment

Oddly enough, I happen to know that Santa is a member of DYR and is MOST disappointed that so many of you no longer believe in him. I'm sorry to have to tell you that you may not get many presents this year....

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                        I was about 5. I've always had quite a good BS detector and even as a young kid I could see things didn't quite add up regarding Saint Nicholas. Oddly I never really let on that I did know, mainly because I had a few younger cousins and I never knew how far into reality their minds had strolled. I had a few Asian friends and obviously they didn't do the whole Christmas related stuff. I think that was one of the main give aways.
                        from what i hear saint nicholas was a very nasty bad person.
                        nicholas i think means the devil in english.

like i say santa coming down a chimney with a sack seemed far fetched to me.
                        and how could he have everybody's presents in the world in one sack.

Comment

You are getting Saint Nicholas and Old Nick mixed up. The two are completely different entities.

Comment

i was told a few years ago that he'd been killed in a skiing accident..........so when there were pressies under the tree that year i then knew he wasn't real

Comment

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
                              i was told a few years ago that he'd been killed in a skiing accident..........so when there were pressies under the tree that year i then knew he wasn't real
                              im sure it as more than a few yrs back.
                              who told you this life shattering news.

Comment

Working...
                              X