Tarzan Films During Christmas Holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarzan Films During Christmas Holidays

I think it was reading about "Cheetah" from the Johnny Weissmuller films dying today that brought it back to me. When I was a kid, we always seemed to break from school at least one week before Christmas. The schools programmes came off air and were replaced with either a serial (Robinson Crusoe/Belle & Sebastien/Flash Gordon/White Horses) or a film. I seem to remember Tarzan was on sometime in the mid seventies. Johnny Weissmuller played the lead role, but was replaced by Lex Barker later. Jane seemed to be played by a different actress every time. I've never seen them on TCM or Film Four. Could be an ownership issue? Whatever, they were only ever shown up until Christmas Eve, after which, the "Christmas Telly" took over. Toys took over for us, and we didn't seem to watch a deal for several days. Before you knew it, it was time to throw the Christmas Radio Times and go back to school. I always hated that bit and used to keep the magazine for a while, looking back and remembering watching "Tarzan's Secret Treasure" with Bev, Mandy and my sister. In my late forties now, and the telly seems **** to me, but I've never shook the "love Christmas, hate going back" feeling.

Re: Tarzan Films During Christmas Holidays

Originally posted by dannyboy View Post
    I think it was reading about "Cheetah" from the Johnny Weissmuller films dying today that brought it back to me. When I was a kid, we always seemed to break from school at least one week before Christmas. The schools programmes came off air and were replaced with either a serial (Robinson Crusoe/Belle & Sebastien/Flash Gordon/White Horses) or a film. I seem to remember Tarzan was on sometime in the mid seventies. Johnny Weissmuller played the lead role, but was replaced by Lex Barker later. Jane seemed to be played by a different actress every time...
    Yes, I certainly remember those Weissmuller films during school holidays. My brother and I adored watching them. And the actor who played the 'boy' was in the news a few months ago. Can't recall the reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
      ...the actor who played the 'boy' was in the news a few months ago. Can't recall the reason.
      On investigation, it wasn't a few months ago; it was last year. Johnny Sheffield died, aged 79.

Comment

Just been watching one this morning on BBC2, not sure if it's anything to do with Cheetah's death or just a coincidence.
        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
          Just been watching one this morning on BBC2, not sure if it's anything to do with Cheetah's death or just a coincidence.
          if i remember right there was a tarzan film on theother morning.
          i wonder was it on because of the chimps death or was it to be on anyway.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
          X