The Funniest Python

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Funniest Python

Who of the iconic Monty Python troupe was the funniest? The one who in your opinion made the whole show?
    Graham Chapman
    14.29%
    John Cleese
    42.86%
    Terry Gilliam
    0.00%
    Eric Idle
    14.29%
    Terry Jones
    0.00%
    Michael Palin
    28.57%

Re: The Funniest Python

i went for john cleese.
    but in all fairness it was a team effort they all sparkrd off each other.
    they where all comedic geniuses in my opinion.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I think it was overrated. It does make me mad, they went to Uni in the golden age of free education with Grants and mucked about, made this rubbish, became famous and then we around the world...look at Palin for example with his travel shows....I guess you go off things sometimes. I know I was once a BIG Python fan once...

Comment

I've liked MPFC ever since the late 1980's repeats. The quality of the sketches do vary but the better ones are some of the funniest things I've never seen.

It's been a while since I've watched the ones I recorded but they do stand up to repeated viewings.

John Cleese turned turn down being a solicitor as the starting pay was a lot lower than gag writing for the BBC, performing them came a bit later.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I voted for Graham Chapman. Very difficult to choose. Cleese and Palin just as funny IMO.

Comment

I agree with SF. I'm not a fan of MPFC, but I do like Michael Palin because of his travel shows. I'm more familiar with him than the others. I know John Cleese from Fawlty Towers and some films/adverts and I remember Eric Idle releasing "always look on the bright side of life" in the early 90's, but I probably wouldn't recognise the others if I saw them.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

I think much of the comedy centered round John Cleese, Eric Idle and Michael Palin. Graham Chapman and Terry Jones were usually the straight men in many of the sketches though Terry Jones did some of the funniest female characters. Chapman's forte was Establishment-type characters such as bankers, army officers, etc. Terry Gilliam was more behind the scenes -- mainly the animation sequences.

Comment

Not a huge fan but Life of Brian was a satirical masterpiece, a very funny film. Guess I'd go for Cleese as I'm most familiar with his work, I also liked him in the film Clockwise as well as Fawlty Towers.
                The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Had to vote Cleese, if only for Python & FT.
                  Can't stand him nowdays

Comment

Graham Chapman contributed a lot to the writing, sometimes coming up with a very funny line when they were stuck for one.

Towards the end of MPFC his heavy drinking was affecting his performances, but by the time of Life Of Brian he had dried out & was sometimes even better than 10 years before.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

It was a toss up between Eric Idle and John Cleese.
                      I went for Eric Idle

Comment

Gilliam annoyed me. Still does. His later film directing style seems to be like drinking a fizzing drink so fast as soon as its been poured into a tall glass and all the fizz bubbles goes up your nose. Its like a head rushed overload of the sensory and visual. I hate his stuff. Hate him in fact-another fool who got lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                          i went for john cleese.
                          but in all fairness it was a team effort they all sparkrd off each other.
                          they where all comedic geniuses in my opinion.
                          Agree with every word of this Darren.

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                          I think it was overrated. It does make me mad, they went to Uni in the golden age of free education with Grants and mucked about, made this rubbish, became famous and then we around the world...look at Palin for example with his travel shows....I guess you go off things sometimes. I know I was once a BIG Python fan once...
                          This reads a lot better if I imagine you as Terry Jones in full drag SF

Comment

Originally posted by ClaudineJones View Post
                            Agree with every word of this Darren.

This reads a lot better if I imagine you as Terry Jones in full drag SF

Well thanks very much misses jones.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                            X