Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paper pay packets and plastic bank money bags

For some reason I loved these as a kid.

My dad got his wages each week in a small brown envelope with lots of little holes in the front like circles from a hole punch. He used to give them to me (the envelopes, not the wages!) and I'd keep them in a pile in a drawer. I really liked the holes. Weird to think now that people actually got a pay 'packet' with real money in it.

I was also obsessed with the little plastic bags to put coins in from banks. Ooooh the excitement of getting a hold of some brand new, smooth, uncrumpled ones in different colours. Me and friends would put our sweets in them.
    1976 Vintage

Re: Paper pay packets and plastic bank money bags

I remember these. My Dad used to get them as well. His later ones had a cellophane window on them too...His had two larger holes on the back flap, don't know why, maybe it meant it had been opened and the flap had serrated unpunched holes to begin with and when opened those circles remained on the back of the envelope. I can imagine many folk taking trips into town to the bank and long queues to pay their money in.

Comment

I remember this lol!!!!!!!! my pay packets had the notes folded in the corner of the packet so you could count it, :-)

Comment

My wage packets used to be folded in on themselves with rip off edges. You used to rip along the 3 perforated edges to get at the moneys and working hours, taxes deducted etc. Then they started paying into the bank.

I remember the money bags well. They came in a variety of different colours and had whatever banks motif on them. They used to say "No mixed coins", "£1 in 1p's" and "£1 in 2p's" among with larger denominations. I've actually got some clear ones in one of the kitchen drawers. I think they have the Natwest logo on them

Comment

I remember my mum bought some similar specially printed dinner money evelopes. There might still be some at the bottom of a drawer.

I might still have 1 or 2 pay packets from my paper round days.

Even though my uncle had an office job he was still paid weekly in cash into the 1990s.

My Dad can remember it was common from the 1950's to the 1970's to hear about a local company being victims of a wage snatch on a friday.

This probably explains why paying wages in cash has more or less died out.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Just had a quick look. I've loads of these.

Obviously these must be after 1998. No prizes for guessing why.

Sorry for the large picture, it didn't resize it like I was expecting it to.

Also, is the Girobank still in operation? Not seen that name for ages.

Comment

I think banks still have the bags these days although I've never used them. I remember having lots of Lloyds ones but only one cherished yellow TSB one which was my favourite. This was obviously before the two banks merged.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                I think banks still have the bags these days although I've never used them. I remember having lots of Lloyds ones but only one cherished yellow TSB one which was my favourite. This was obviously before the two banks merged.
                they do still have those money bags.
                i got about fifty of them a few days ago.

the ones i have are bank of ireland.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I can remember getting wages in small brown envelopes.....I remember a boss giving me too much money once in my pay packet..........he'd been counting the twenty pound notes as tenners so I had double one week........but I gave it all back and he rewarded me with £40 extra for being honest............as for money bags.........i still use them today as pockets on my kitchen notice board.

Comment

In my first job, from 1978 to 1980, I had my waged in those little brown envelopes. And I too still use the plastic money bags. I have a pot where I put my 1ps and 2ps. Every six months or so, I bag them up and pay them in.

Comment

I've got quite a few of the old money bags from various banks like the ones mentioned and like in the pic. I still use money bags. I put my loose 10, 20, 50p's, £1 and £2 in one until it gets a bit worn out and replace it with another. Its a good way of protecting the lining of your pockets in coats, jeans or trousers from being torn or getting dirty. Also its easier without having to ferret around for loose change when you may have something else in the same pocket as well. I put all the 1ps 5ps and 2ps into an old Halifax Little Xtra Account money box thats shaped like a red roofed house with yellow walls and a blue base and then when its completely full count it all out and put it into money bags for £1 or £5 and then into the bank unless I'm short of a bit of spare coin for my cigs.

Comment

Girobank was absorbed into Alliance & Leicester c.2001, though their old money bags are still accepted by banks, and their old postcode is still retained by A&L- 'GIR OAA'.

Comment

my dad has been wokking 40 yrs still gets paid in those brown paper pay packets.
                          its so old school.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                          X