big kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big kid

hi , i`m still a big kid at heart , love going about with my i-spy books exploring ,reading my enid blyton books, big blue peter fan,exploring nature, love mooching round castles and historical places, .guess i`m stiil a child in many ways and its great , boring being a grown up! not so much fun.

Re: big kid

I absolutely agree, Rail Rider- my only sadness is that the quality of so much kid's entertainment and literature has deteriorated since the '70s and '80s. Those things that still survive since our childhood have really gone downhill over the past 15 years or so- The Beano is a pathetic shadow of what it used to be, and Blue Peter is just an echo of what it was like in the days of John, Peter and Lesley. So much has 'dumbed down', it's all so much cruder, and there's more violence in comics as well. Having said that though, some comic content back then could be a lot more frightening for children as well (like those horrible 'Weirdies' things they had in Whoopee! comic). The one thing that's IMPROVED is 'Dr.Who', though Tom Baker remains my favourite Doc!!

Comment

Been out loads on my mountain bike recently, many people probably see me go by and think I'm keeping fit.

Bugger that, I'm getting the thrill out of riding my bike through mud, skidding, crashing, getting covered in mud, playing in fields that I did when I was 12.

Comment

I'm also the big kid in so many ways. Looking at DVDs of old children's shows for a start. And being shocked at what Blue Peter looks like now!

You know how there are so many new satellite channels popping up? I'd love to see one that recreated TV schedules from the 70s!

Final Score, Tom and Jerry, Basil Brush, Doctor Who, Generation Game, Two Ronnies, Starsky and Hutch, Match of the Day and Parkinson.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
          I'm also the big kid in so many ways. Looking at DVDs of old children's shows for a start. And being shocked at what Blue Peter looks like now!

You know how there are so many new satellite channels popping up? I'd love to see one that recreated TV schedules from the 70s!

Final Score, Tom and Jerry, Basil Brush, Doctor Who, Generation Game, Two Ronnies, Starsky and Hutch, Match of the Day and Parkinson.
          That was just about some Saturday around November '79.

Comment

Originally posted by havasack View Post
            That was just about some Saturday around November '79.
            ...I was thinking it was around 1975/76, but you may be right. Still gives me a warm feeling.

Comment

I find it so restricting being a grown up. I still might wake up on a weekend and think "hey I really feel like getting my rollerblades out" but I can't just go out into the street and have a little roll up and down, stopping occasionally to stroke cats, make daisy chains, sing to myself and pick my nose. Nobody bats an eyelid when you are 10. People are ringing the loony bin when you are an adult! I really miss that freedom.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

Found as I got older there are certain things I would like to do,but I am no longer a youngster and bits of me just won't take the punishment anymore.Still love to explore places and wander off for hours in the countryside,collect feathers and pick up useless items.collect badges still,and still have a passion for many things that I collected and loved as a kid including many childrens drama's of the period.One thing has got a lot worse,I love cartoons much more then I used to so there has been an improvement there.Oh and my idea of fashion has gotten a bit like compo,but not so tatty.Come to think of it I still love jigsaws and other great toys like lego and mechano and often have a fit of building model airplanes out of balsa and tissue every two or three years.Like a good comic as well.At heart still a big kid,but not in body.Trouble with being an adult,every body expects you to act like them.......an adult.But some of us will never fully grow up at heart and for good reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                  I find it so restricting being a grown up. I still might wake up on a weekend and think "hey I really feel like getting my rollerblades out" but I can't just go out into the street and have a little roll up and down, stopping occasionally to stroke cats, make daisy chains, sing to myself and pick my nose. Nobody bats an eyelid when you are 10. People are ringing the loony bin when you are an adult! I really miss that freedom.
                  You made me feel quite emotional with that, Tricky. The freedom of being young is precious.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                    Found as I got older there are certain things I would like to do,but I am no longer a youngster and bits of me just won't take the punishment anymore.Still love to explore places and wander off for hours in the countryside,collect feathers and pick up useless items.collect badges still,and still have a passion for many things that I collected and loved as a kid including many childrens drama's of the period.One thing has got a lot worse,I love cartoons much more then I used to so there has been an improvement there.Oh and my idea of fashion has gotten a bit like compo,but not so tatty.Come to think of it I still love jigsaws and other great toys like lego and mechano and often have a fit of building model airplanes out of balsa and tissue every two or three years.Like a good comic as well.At heart still a big kid,but not in body.Trouble with being an adult,every body expects you to act like them.......an adult.But some of us will never fully grow up at heart and for good reasons.
                    Can I just huggle up and say 'yes'.

Comment

Originally posted by Roxxy View Post
                      I absolutely agree, Rail Rider- my only sadness is that the quality of so much kid's entertainment and literature has deteriorated since the '70s and '80s. Those things that still survive since our childhood have really gone downhill over the past 15 years or so- The Beano is a pathetic shadow of what it used to be, and Blue Peter is just an echo of what it was like in the days of John, Peter and Lesley. So much has 'dumbed down', it's all so much cruder, and there's more violence in comics as well. Having said that though, some comic content back then could be a lot more frightening for children as well (like those horrible 'Weirdies' things they had in Whoopee! comic). The one thing that's IMPROVED is 'Dr.Who', though Tom Baker remains my favourite Doc!!
                      either things that are around now are not as good as they where or they have been replaced with much more inferior programmes.

kids shows,comics etc are toned down.
                      the P.C brigade has not exactly helped.

was really sad when grange hill finished.
                      i thought it was down to baf ratings but it was not the case.

never knew that comics had went so downhill though.

Originally posted by battyrat View Post

well i never will
                      people tell me grow and get out of watching kids programmes.

fact is i just enjoy them so much.
                      to many people grow up and get so serious which is sad.

maybe somethings u cannot fo batty but im sure some things u can still do.
                      we really had it great growing up and i reminisce all the time.
                      kids today are missing out growing up when we did not the other way round.
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

HI ,GUYS, i agree with all of you . my mum tells me to grow up and act my age but who wants to? i hate being being an adult---restricted on how to behave ,cant do what i used to be able to do ,etc. however i am a part time student at wolverhampton uni and involved with stuff there and am environment officer in the student union and in the christian union. also help with brownies and beaver scouts which is fun.
                        blue peter is not as good as it used to be but i still like it and wear my badge,among a large collection of other badges!. collect pen/pencils,coins,enid blyton books , i-spy books--still use them .iget frustrated when i cant do things i can no longer do like climb trees! i hate getting old! young in mind but old in body and arthritis is not much fun. i dont look or feel my age ,except physically . i aim to stay a child !!

Comment

Originally posted by Rail Rider View Post
                          HI ,GUYS, i agree with all of you . my mum tells me to grow up and act my age but who wants to? i hate being being an adult---restricted on how to behave ,cant do what i used to be able to do ,etc. however i am a part time student at wolverhampton uni and involved with stuff there and am environment officer in the student union and in the christian union. also help with brownies and beaver scouts which is fun.
                          blue peter is not as good as it used to be but i still like it and wear my badge,among a large collection of other badges!. collect pen/pencils,coins,enid blyton books , i-spy books--still use them .iget frustrated when i cant do things i can no longer do like climb trees! i hate getting old! young in mind but old in body and arthritis is not much fun. i dont look or feel my age ,except physically . i aim to stay a child !!
                          good te hear you will stay childlike.
                          You have an actual blue peter badge.
                          wehat did you get it for and when did you get it.

not many of these where given.
                          i do not like getting old either and so u cannot do qwhat yiou used to do.
                          But you still have the memories and no ione can take them away mate.

im 36 but i act and feel like a 10 year old.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                          X