Multi-Coloured Swap Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Multi-Coloured Swap Shop

Swap shop.Must of watched quite a few of them in the early days.But as a kid I did not fully like it as when it came on tv many other saturday morning programs that I liked at the time dissapeared.Some for good like marine boy,as it took up their time slots.I suppose I never really forgave cheggers(shudders at the thought of cheggers) and knowle for that.Besides watching a single program for three hours in the morning was just too much for a hypo kid that lost interest quickly.I quickly moved away from swap shop after Tiswas came on TV.
    There was the land before time cartoon in swapshop that I had interest in,but that was the high point of the show.
    I also wonder just how many of the swaps actually went ahead after the deal was struck on tv.
    Even untill recently if I watched saturday morning TV it would only be untill one of those dreaded over long saturday morning shows would come on.Shudders at them all and feels dissapointed that the beeb would sacrafice many good programs for the sake of just one which had a prooducer with a bad taste of stripey tops and a beard.How uncool was that even for the 70's.

Comment

Then again thinking back I probably had an over bearing mother who thought that BBC was safer for me to watch as a kid then the more outragous and interesting ITV.I expect if the truth be known whenever I wanted to watch something the TV was probably turned over to the safe BBC side.So as I was quite a wild kid I possibly rebelled at it and went against what she wanted me to watch.......namely Swapshop.Possibly why I have such a dislike towards it and it's presenters today.
      I know my parants had a dislike for Magpie so I ended up watching blue peter instead.They favoured BBC.
      I am not really that sure that saturday mornings on BBC was really any good anyway thinking about it hard now before swap shop hit the TV.It's probably just misplaced childhood memories gone bitter with years.I do have some sort of memories now of some possibly spanish program on the bbc,and another called I think barrier reef or something simular to it.

Comment

Did anyone ring in and swop stuff?

Comment

It was before my time, but I would have tried to. Nan would have let me try once, or twice a year, but not every week. Don't know what I would have swapped or wanted though!
          - Rik Mayall Fanpage On Facebook
          - My retro Youtube channel.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

I wonder what the guidelines were for swapping on there regarding condition of the items and who sends first etc.There must of been some.It would be interesting to know what came of many of the arranged swaps.

Comment

How many disappointed people must there have been when they got their swaps and realised that all was not as glorious as their little minds imagined.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

I remember hearing somewhere that the swap rules included no pets or smaller siblings!
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

That is true.

BTW, love your icon, Mrs Stebbings TV aerial.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

Thanks, good of you to work out where it came from.

I was a bit young to remember all but the last series or so of Swap Shop (no Multi Coloured by then!) so my memory of the swaps is limited.

The swaps were carried over onto the Saturday Superstore IIRC.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I don't remember swaps on Superstore. All I have memory of is Mike Reid and his awful singing. :-S Knew about icon pic, am massve Meldrew fan.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

I was in the TISWAS camp

But one of the very few Multi Coloured Swapshop's I watched I remember a classic clip:

A kid phoned in asking to swap an Action Man (or something like that)

When asked what he was looking to Swap his toy for?

A night out with Maggie Philbin lol
                        sigpic
                        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Working...
                        X