Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: G'day Sullivans!

  1. Default G'day Sullivans!



    Just like a trusty boomerang, one of our fave Aussie families are back - this time on DVD, as The Sullivans Season One Volume One is released on 12th March.

    Forget Neighbours and Home & Away, cos The Sullivans was the first and longest-running Australian drama to be broadcast on British TV - and how we loved it until the show stopped airing in 1988. Starring Mel Gibson, Paul Cronin, Lorraine Bayly and Andrew McFarlane as your typical family from Melbourne in 1939, we experienced the trials and tribulations of surviving WW2 through their eyes - along with audiences in 20 other countries around the world. And if your memory's as good as ours, you'll know that even the queen of pop, Kylie Minogue, made a cameo. And if it's good enough for our Kyl's... Pick up your DVD box set for £29.99 from Amazon.


    Fairdinkum!
    Subscribe in a reader


    More...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    co armagh n/ireland
    Posts
    13,673

    Default Re: G'day Sullivans!

    Cant say i ever watched it.
    it just seemed boring by the opening credits.

    never would have thought mel gibson was in it.
    he must have been real young.
    in his twenties when it started.

    never knew it had a dvd release.
    here is a link.
    http://youtu.be/2phiDt6_T9g

    there where 1 thousand one hundred ad 14 episodes over eight seasons.
    each episode was thirty mins.

    ut ran from 15th November 1976 to 10th March 1983 in aistralia.
    Last edited by darren; 20-01-2012 at 01:43.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    692

    Default Re: G'day Sullivans!

    It's been out for a while here in Australia but you cannot get it in the shops.
    It's only available from Crawfords dvd website and it costs about 60 dollars.

    I think it was 2 x 1 hour eps a week here.
    A good show that's been repeated a few times.

    The Flying Doctors is also available.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    460

    Default Re: G'day Sullivans!

    I only lived five minutes away from school so I'd go home for lunch. From primary school I'd get back about 12.10, watch the end of Rainbow or something, catch whatever was next (Paperplay, Handful of Songs etc.) and then Mum would have The Sullivans on at 12.30. When I moved up to the comp lunch was a bit later and I graduated up to Pebble Mill at One but for those junior years I must have watched a hell of a lot of Sullivans.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stockport
    Posts
    5,106

    Default Re: G'day Sullivans!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    I only lived five minutes away from school so I'd go home for lunch. From primary school I'd get back about 12.10, watch the end of Rainbow or something, catch whatever was next (Paperplay, Handful of Songs etc.) and then Mum would have The Sullivans on at 12.30. When I moved up to the comp lunch was a bit later and I graduated up to Pebble Mill at One but for those junior years I must have watched a hell of a lot of Sullivans.
    I used to do a similar thing before starting school, The Young Doctors, Sons & Daughters & Emmerdale Farm were in a similar lunchtime slot.
    The Trickster On The Roof

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    co armagh n/ireland
    Posts
    13,673

    Default Re: G'day Sullivans!

    Quote Originally Posted by stud1al View Post
    It's been out for a while here in Australia but you cannot get it in the shops.
    It's only available from Crawfords dvd website and it costs about 60 dollars.

    I think it was 2 x 1 hour eps a week here.
    A good show that's been repeated a few times.

    The Flying Doctors is also available.
    hard to believe its that expensive but i i suppose buying it from their website has something to do with it.
    It still must be hugely popular after all this time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    2,203

    Default Re: G'day Sullivans!

    I always saw the opening credits of the Sullivans before I headed back to School in the afternoon. All it said to me was BORING! I'd like to watch an episode now though to see what it was actually about.
    1976 Vintage

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,040

    Default Re: G'day Sullivans!

    I used to watch it every lunchtime and got well into it. A few years ago I spent ages tracking down the opening titles online and it gave me a good feeling when i saw them again. It was about Australian family life during the 2nd World War, glad to see it's made its way onto DVD but for that price I'll not be buying
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    692

    Default Re: G'day Sullivans!

    Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    hard to believe its that expensive but i i suppose buying it from their website has something to do with it.
    It still must be hugely popular after all this time.

    Well,you can order it by phone as well but yeah,it's about $60.
    I have found dvds to be more expensive in Oz.I have bought many dvds from Amazon U.K that have been half the price of the aussie versions even with postage included.
    For instance,i bought the entire series of Lost In Space from Amazon UK for under 35 aussie dollars ,including postage.
    Just HALF a season costs $50 here in Australia.

    Yes,it is still pretty popular.

  10. #10
    sf1378 Guest

    Default Re: G'day Sullivans!

    Quote Originally Posted by Trickyvee View Post
    I always saw the opening credits of the Sullivans before I headed back to School in the afternoon. All it said to me was BORING! I'd like to watch an episode now though to see what it was actually about.
    Lol. Agreed. Remember it giving me a BORING feeling as a lad.

Similar Threads

  1. G'day guvs and guvnesses!
    By fatpizzaman in forum Introduce yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-01-2010, 10:51
  2. The Sullivans
    By remember in forum Recently remembered...
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 31-03-2008, 22:13
  3. G'day everyone!
    By guaranteed personality in forum Introduce yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-03-2007, 21:39
  4. G'day people
    By mezhopking in forum Introduce yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-04-2005, 22:54

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •