"Old Style Cafes"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Old Style Cafes"

I just love these "old style cafes'" like what most Towns Bus Stations used to have until places like Gtreggs and Subway became the norm. They were brilliant I thought (I reacll too they were often refferd to and called "Coffeee Lounges" and "Something Grill" etc. Luckily i know one or two that exist still in neighbouring Towns and actualy in the Town or City itself too to boot.

The most I recalla bout them (is the one in my Town's Bus Station closed down about 10 years since) as the Bus Station was being modernised - but i recall the smell of lovley "froffy coffee" that until the 1980s/1990s could only be done in a Microwave or for an age in pan, so it was a treat to buy - even if only the top layer was froffy - this before the day's of "Instant Latte" etc.

How I miss those day's - not the owner though or a full meal, but Sausage Rolls were lovley there too - how they were warm. Though the owner was nasty to anyone and everyone, as I recall i'd gone in for a drink waiting for a Coach to the Coast and the look she gave because I was intruding on her Cafe at 8am was amazing and she coulds'nt wait to get rid of me (ie I was'nt drinking fast enough for her liking)! Luckily (or not luckily for the owner and her Husband's Neighbours, they emigrated) Lol. Did anyone else have this "sort of gems of a cafe" in your Town's/City's?

Re: "Old Style Cafes"

We've still got a few like that in the cities where I live. They are closing down at a rate quicker than I'd like though, they give the town some identity over all the identical shop fronts of Greggs and other shops like them

Comment

Still got one or two in my town, ones called Munchee's. I think its run by Nepalese people now but its still a greasy spoon. One of their set menu meals is a BIG breakfast consisting of french fries, a long sausage, toast, beans, egg, bacon. £4.95 I think. Upstairs is a Nepalese Buffet with an 'all you can eat' - never been to the upper bit. I only go if I'm extremely hungry. Its across the road from one of those independent 'posher middle class' cafes I usually frequent. I only go to the latter out of habit and sit with a drink outside as I have a fag as its a nice place to people watch from...Munchee's is still very popular and I'm glad its there. Funnily, next to it is Costa Coffee (ugh). Opposite Costa is Starbucks - I only use it for the loos lol. Next to Starbucks is the place I go, Picnic....I'm not sure if Ritazza near Primark is still running which is further down the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
        We've still got a few like that in the cities where I live. They are closing down at a rate quicker than I'd like though, they give the town some identity over all the identical shop fronts of Greggs and other shops like them
        Sadly this is trrue in many places I think, though long may they reign I hope. I like/liked the ones with the old style deco furniture of the day that had seats like had just come out of a Doctors Surgery from the 1980s or something!

Comment

In the town where I live there is an icecream parlour/coffee house that my dad and his friends used in the late 1950's...........the style hasn't changed.......the duke box is up the stairs at the back and the youngest daughter that my dad knew as a lad is now running it today with her children...........fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
            and the youngest daughter that my dad knew as a lad is now running it today with her children...........fantastic!

Sorry I had to Lol at how you wrote this Shilton. I know you did'nt mean it how it sounded but it really made me chuckle!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
              Sorry I had to Lol at how you wrote this Shilton. I know you did'nt mean it how it sounded but it really made me chuckle!!!
              yeah gotcha lol

Comment

The smell and noises in these places are different from the usual chains too. There's more crockery being thrown about in the kitchen, and you have people shouting numbers and waitresses walking up and down the place. It's a very different feel to anything I've every experienced.

The closest I can probably come to it is a diner I used while I was away in America, although it wasn't quite the same. Our places tend to be dark, panelled with wood and have terribly busy carpets, always with rock hard chewing gum stuck to them in the doorway. They tend to be more cramped than the USA counterparts too.

Comment

We don't have anything like that where I live. I wish we did.

I went to something like it a few years ago. It's just off Piccadilly. It seems to be in the guide books as a wonderful relic of the past. Can't recall its name.

Comment

There used to be "Minchella's" At the Harton Nook in South Shields. Walking in there was like a trip back in time. My mam used to go in for coffee with me and my brother when we were kids, I always had an ice cream float. It's gone now, but the other ones in town are open and active. But this shop was like something straight out of the late 50s.
                    If it's lasted this long, it's worth keeping!

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                      The smell and noises in these places are different from the usual chains too. There's more crockery being thrown about in the kitchen, and you have people shouting numbers and waitresses walking up and down the place. It's a very different feel to anything I've every experienced.

The closest I can probably come to it is a diner I used while I was away in America, although it wasn't quite the same. Our places tend to be dark, panelled with wood and have terribly busy carpets, always with rock hard chewing gum stuck to them in the doorway. They tend to be more cramped than the USA counterparts too.
                      I would love one day to go to America and visit some of the "Old Dinners" they have!! They mean so much, just like the old Coffee Lounges that were first on the scene in England did & do. They just (for me) represent everything about old fils (the American Dinners) do.

Comment

Working...
                      X