Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know this miniseries (prob early 90s on ITV)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know this miniseries (prob early 90s on ITV)?

Hey folks.
    Hoping that someone can help me. I have been having a discussion with a friend of mine and he reminded me of a tv show back in the 80's or 90's.

It was about (I think) a woman jewel thief. I seem to remember something to do with a chess championship where she plays off against three or four masters by copying the move that the previous master did and then using that move on the next one. Don't suppose anyone remembers the name of it do they??

Re: 80's /90's Tv Show.

I have seen this done in comics and tv Lex luthor in comics and Darren brown I believe on tv.. but it rings a bell.

Comment

Re: 80's /90's Tv Show.

Originally posted by Samwar View Post
      Hey folks.
      Hoping that someone can help me. I have been having a discussion with a friend of mine and he reminded me of a tv show back in the 80's or 90's.

It was about (I think) a woman jewel thief. I seem to remember something to do with a chess championship where she plays off against three or four masters by copying the move that the previous master did and then using that move on the next one. Don't suppose anyone remembers the name of it do they??
      Yeah. I also try to recall this TV show title. I only recall this show was during the 'moonlighting' series era.

Anybody know the title? I can't seem to get any details when googling 'jewel thief - 80 tv show'...

Thanks

Comment

Anyone know this miniseries (prob early 90s on ITV)?

Don't have much to work on here. I think it was a mini-series (possibly just a two parter but I don't think it was an ongoing series anyway) and would most likely have aired in Ireland/UK in the early 1990's. It had a female protagonist who might have been recruited as some sort of spy/undercover-agent or perhaps she was an undercover reporter? Whatever it was there was something 'covert' about whatever it was her job was.

It had a sort of thrashy lowest-common-denominator high-concept ITV production values so I'm guessing it was probably on that station.

Now here's the part that might help you identify it for me : The one specific thing I remember is at one point in the story the main character pretends to be a chess genius and challenges two of the world best players to simultaneous games. The games took place in a big palace or something with each of the champs in sitting in seperate room as the woman moved back and forth between rooms. The rooms had giant chess boards on the walls to indicate the state of table in that particular room an there was an audience watching the games. In reality the woman had no real chess ability but was copying the move of the first player and using it one the 2nd player so in effect the two champs were playing each other without knowing it and the result being a stalemate.

Longshot but does this ring a bell for anyone?
        Last edited by Avahi1057; 30-01-2012, 01:03.

Comment

Re: Anyone know this miniseries (prob early 90s on ITV)?

Originally posted by Avahi1057 View Post
          Don't have much to work on here. I think it was a mini-series (possibly just a two parter but I don't think it was an ongoing series anyway) and would most likely have aired in Ireland/UK in the early 1990's. It had a female protagonist who might have been recruited as some sort of spy/undercover-agent or perhaps she was an undercover reporter? Whatever it was there was something 'covert' about whatever it was her job was.

It had a sort of thrashy lowest-common-denominator high-concept ITV production values so I'm guessing it was probably on that station.

Now here's the part that might help you identify it for me : The one specific thing I remember is at one point in the story the main character pretends to be a chess genius and challenges two of the world best players to simultaneous games. The games took place in a big palace or something with each of the champs in sitting in seperate room as the woman moved back and forth between rooms. The rooms had giant chess boards on the walls to indicate the state of table in that particular room an there was an audience watching the games. In reality the woman had no real chess ability but was copying the move of the first player and using it one the 2nd player so in effect the two champs were playing each other without knowing it and the result being a stalemate.

Longshot but does this ring a bell for anyone?

I also remember this - it was good - but sadly I cannot remember what it was called or anything useful like that !

Have you tried the "Can you name this film" forum on the Brit Movie Forum ?

I'm as curious as you to know the answer.

Comment

If Tomorrow comes 1986

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i13oJ2fhoQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zZww...eature=related
            Heather

Comment

Amazing! Thanks so much for answering that one. It's been bugging me for years.

Comment

Working...
              X