School's being "rough"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School's being "rough"

I admitt my first Secondary School was far from perfect and a real dump, that had nothing going for it and I hated it. Now though I appreciate it, as a lot of the kids there i'd not bother one iota with now. In a way though I am glad that I went there - as though a lot might be people who you would'nt want to cross even now, it taught me quite few thing's .... "the school of hard life", fending for yourself, being friends one day, not the next ... then not for another 3 weeks. One kid he was such a crawler/creep - we'd had a row earlier in the day or he had "wanted" to be friends and we fell out, then he "agreed" to be friends for 1 hour or 2 only for this show thing later that night, then we'd not be friends again after as a prime example. This is what is great about School I think in a way - teaching you thing's in differing aspect's of life etc etc.

Re: School's being "rough"

exactly my secondary school was tough.
    at times i hated it but it has taught me to stick up for myself.

There where many people in my class who where nasty people and i just avoided them.
    One day id have friends then fall out the next day and so on.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
      exactly my secondary school was tough.
      at times i hated it but it has taught me to stick up for myself.
      Exactly. If nothing else my first Secondaery taught me to be tough/stick up for myself ... if only I knew then what I knew later in life!!

I would love to haunt (lol) the guy's there in my next life as a Ghost, who made me life terrible! Well at least if it wasn't demolished anyhow as I couldn't through that as I don't have any malice etc in me and generally too Ghosts are peaceful and harmless to people regardless I believe/hope.

80sChav

Comment

The secondary school I went to was a complete and utter dump. Bullying was rampant, and very little was ever done about it. If you did fight a bully back, you would end up with the worst end of it one way or another. Get into a fight, even if you were attacked first, you would still be caned (unless you point blankly refused to hold your hand out.). Receiving a clout off a teacher for the smallest of things was not uncommon. By the fifth year, most pupils did not care if they would pass any exams, they just wanted out. What should have been the best years of our lives, turned out to be the worst. I had very little contact with people I went to school with after I left. For the vast majority, I could not care less if they are still alive or not. There may have been around three kids I wish I had kept contact with. The real friends came about when I started work.
        Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I was so glad I went to School when I did and not in today's age - though from what I hear from Family relatives kids these day's are "made" to be friends and from what I can "read through the lines" about what's said is that they do look out for each other more"

I do wish this was so at my School and had had that - I mean even the Year 11s hated the Year 7s from their own School, but I think if another rival School's Year 11s intimdated etc another School's Year 7s now it'd be quite different as would ears from the same School too

80sChavY

Comment

This all reminds me of a joke I heard recently ...

" Aww mum , it was another terrible day , I was bullied , some lad took my dinner off me and one lad gave me a wedgy !!

Mum - " Well maybe teaching is just not for you ! "

Comment

My secondary school did not have prefects but it was run by a cabal of Y10 and Y11 kids who were the sons and daughters of the school governors plus their best mates and henchmen collectively known as the Library. The room where the books were stored was referred to as the learning centre or the school library. The Library got its name from the shelves of books in their meeting room that were only for its members and not for anybody else to read. The Library actually had two rooms when I was there - the outer room with tables and chairs where they would invite other kids into for a beating or a bollocking and the inner room which contained the bookshelves that was strictly out of bounds to anyone except a privileged few. The Library were obnoxious people with vindictive attitudes who would beat up or dish out harsh punishments to kids for all sorts of minor trivial issues and the staff turned a blind eye to it.

A few weeks into the first term of Y7 I had a note shoved into my locker demanding that I payed a visit to the Library because of a minor misdemeanor. I ignored the request and threw the note in the bin. After failing to turn up I was effectively dragged into the outer room and caned by a Y11 kid for disobeying an order of the Library. I informed my tutor what had happened but nothing resulted from it. I'm sure the staff were terrified of the Library and dared not challenge them because the school governors were behind it.

Comment

Wow never heard anything like this before.
                Being caned by another pupil.

prefects are normally selected cause theyre generally nice people ​.
                but prefects at your school where the governors kids, that does not mean they are gonna be good prefects and as i can see it seems they where not.

only teachers surely can cane a pupil not pupils being caned by other pupils.

Originally posted by arran View Post
                my secondary school did not have prefects but it was run by a cabal of y10 and y11 kids who were the sons and daughters of the school governors plus their best mates and henchmen collectively known as the library. The room where the books were stored was referred to as the learning centre or the school library. The library got its name from the shelves of books in their meeting room that were only for its members and not for anybody else to read. The library actually had two rooms when i was there - the outer room with tables and chairs where they would invite other kids into for a beating or a bollocking and the inner room which contained the bookshelves that was strictly out of bounds to anyone except a privileged few. The library were obnoxious people with vindictive attitudes who would beat up or dish out harsh punishments to kids for all sorts of minor trivial issues and the staff turned a blind eye to it.

A few weeks into the first term of y7 i had a note shoved into my locker demanding that i payed a visit to the library because of a minor misdemeanor. I ignored the request and threw the note in the bin. After failing to turn up i was effectively dragged into the outer room and caned by a y11 kid for disobeying an order of the library. I informed my tutor what had happened but nothing resulted from it. I'm sure the staff were terrified of the library and dared not challenge them because the school governors were behind it.

Comment

They weren't prefects and there was no mention of the Library in any of the school publications or its website, so officially it didn't exist. It's best described as an unofficial gang of ultra privileged kids with a cosy relationship with the governing body (referred to as the Gobo) that existed to enforce order in the school through fear, intimidation, and hard knocks. A beating from the Library was an everyday phrase. It really was true that the Library caned kids or subjected them to physical violence in their room outside of the view of staff or other kids. I suspect that the Library put Y7 kids through initiation exercises in the first term to find out a bit about their personalities and what they fear the most.

The Library also had access to personal details of kids in the school records because it was so close to the Gobo. Therefore any member of the Library could read any kid's school reports; information about medical matters and SEN; letters sent home to parents; or even communication between the school and the Local Authority. A classic intimidation game was for a member of the Library to read out some of this personal information to a kid who was being given a bollocking. The knowledge that the Library had access to all your personal information was very effective at putting the frighteners on kids. They knew that if there were any problems in lessons or if they didn't do their homework and the teacher documented this in any of their school records or sent a letter home to their parents then the Library could find out and give them another bollocking.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                    They weren't prefects and there was no mention of the Library in any of the school publications or its website, so officially it didn't exist. It's best described as an unofficial gang of ultra privileged kids with a cosy relationship with the governing body (referred to as the Gobo) that existed to enforce order in the school through fear, intimidation, and hard knocks. A beating from the Library was an everyday phrase. It really was true that the Library caned kids or subjected them to physical violence in their room outside of the view of staff or other kids. I suspect that the Library put Y7 kids through initiation exercises in the first term to find out a bit about their personalities and what they fear the most.

The Library also had access to personal details of kids in the school records because it was so close to the Gobo. Therefore any member of the Library could read any kid's school reports; information about medical matters and SEN; letters sent home to parents; or even communication between the school and the Local Authority. A classic intimidation game was for a member of the Library to read out some of this personal information to a kid who was being given a bollocking. The knowledge that the Library had access to all your personal information was very effective at putting the frighteners on kids. They knew that if there were any problems in lessons or if they didn't do their homework and the teacher documented this in any of their school records or sent a letter home to their parents then the Library could find out and give them another bollocking.

This is truly mind blowing stuff Arran. I thought my first Secondary School had it all with Year 11s 'ruling" with a 'Red Hot iron" in certain way's but nothing even came close to this - it sounds truly horrific and barbaric. In saying this it can be perfectly "happen-able" as I knew a guy not long after leaving Secondary School who had story's that did border on a similar (and could have dated back to school even) but a lot questioned his story's though he was regardless a "Wise old Owl" who knew everything about matters in certain fields of life etc

80sChav

Comment

Very interesting I'm surprised no parents found out & blew the whistle on it.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I think that the Library at my secondary school was far from unique on a national basis. I was informed about another secondary school in my town ruled by a similar group of kids called the Vigils that also had a similar cosy relationship with the governors. Remember that school governors have the authority to sack teaching staff which probably explains why the teachers tried to pretend that the Library didn't exist or didn't victimise kids.

It wouldn't surprise me if academies and free schools are more likely to be ruled by similar groups than an average secondary school because these are places where governors have more power and authority and they rule with a cliquey attitude. They don't like kids that don't fit in or are likely to give the school a bad reputation.

Comment

Amazing to think uve learned another school in ur town was the same way as the one u went to.

Still not right tho that kids have this authority to over other kids.
                          Be better if one or two of the teachers had this authority.

I certainly in my time at school never knew of such things happening at my school.

Originally posted by arran View Post
                          i think that the library at my secondary school was far from unique on a national basis. I was informed about another secondary school in my town ruled by a similar group of kids called the vigils that also had a similar cosy relationship with the governors. Remember that school governors have the authority to sack teaching staff which probably explains why the teachers tried to pretend that the library didn't exist or didn't victimise kids.

It wouldn't surprise me if academies and free schools are more likely to be ruled by similar groups than an average secondary school because these are places where governors have more power and authority and they rule with a cliquey attitude. They don't like kids that don't fit in or are likely to give the school a bad reputation.

Comment

What a terrible experience. Sounds like Lord of the Flies with bits of Orwell's 1984 thrown in. I wonder what became of the "Library" lot? My guess is either Prison or they're probably members of The Illuminati by now.

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                              What a terrible experience. Sounds like Lord of the Flies with bits of Orwell's 1984 thrown in. I wonder what became of the "Library" lot? My guess is either Prison or they're probably members of The Illuminati by now.
                              Interesting that you mention the Illuminati.

There were two brothers that were both younger than me at my primary school who later (at different times) became members of the Library at my secondary school. They were the sons of a local doctor who also owned two Indian(!) restaurants and at some time he became a governor at my secondary school. Both his sons were quite gentle kids and anything but vindictive so it intrigued me how they became members of the Library when my own experience of it was a bunch of obnoxious and condescending bullies who enjoyed dishing out injustices. They seemed very out of place and it made me wonder whether there was more to the Library than meets the eye. Was it an outpost of the Freemasons or some other secretive society? I can remember that one of the governors during my time was the wife of fairly high ranking police officer.

Comment

Working...
                              X