The ITV strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ITV strike

Anyone remember the 3 month long ITV strike in the late 70s. We only had the BBC to watch.

Re: The ITV strike

i think this is the one mate.
    i just barely remember it.
    i remember my parents saying about how they could only watch one channel.

the itv broke out at Thames Television on 6th August 1979.

This spread through all the other itv companies.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember when series 4 for on the buses was in black and white it was ment to be in colour

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

Wish they'd go on strike again....lol. They are so naff now ITV...shame. Bring back Thames, LWT and ATV and all your other franchises!

Comment

Oh, such happy memories of Thames and LWT

Comment

Remember this myself as I missed a lot of morning cartoons at the time during the summer holidays - it seemed to go on forever. Unfortunately being aged 7 at the time I got my wires crossed somehow and I remember thinking that one of the demands to end the strike was only if the Yorkshire Ripper was caught!. I lived in Bradford then (same as Peter Sutcliffe) and I do recall one morning waking up and asking my mum if they'd caught the ripper yet...

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
              Wish they'd go on strike again....lol. They are so naff now ITV...shame. Bring back Thames, LWT and ATV and all your other franchises!
              loved lwt and atv now thats bloody good telly back then

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

I can remember wanting to watch Sapphire and Steel and was very dissapointed when they went off the air.I think it was about half way through their second season the strike took place.I honestly thought that was the end of it all being very young and very impatient at the time.It seemed like ages before they got back up and running again.

Comment

Originally posted by onthebusescrazy View Post
                  I remember when series 4 for on the buses was in black and white it was ment to be in colour
                  Your very old for a 15 year old then!

Comment

The strike lasted from the morning of 10th Aug 1979 till 24 Oct 1979.The 10th Aug 1979 is when everybody tuned into HTV and found they had a blank screen.It seemed to have started a few days earlier on the 6th but had spread by the 10th nationwide.
                    It took several months for programming to get fully up and running again when it resumed.Not a very good time for the independant channels back then.Nobody could work not even when it came to filming new episodes of already running programs.Some previously shown were repeated after the strike which refreshed peoples memories and enabled time for the independants to rush through the production of the next part.I think at the end of the day dispite the unions getting what they wanted it done ITV more harm then good.There were numerous small disputes over the next few years,these were more like ripples left over from this big strike,but these were mostly ignored or went unnoticed.

Comment

Originally posted by telcur View Post
                      Anyone remember the 3 month long ITV strike in the late 70s. We only had the BBC to watch.
                      What about the Beeb's strike? It started first, if memory serves.

Comment

Working...
                      X