Mary Whitehouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mary Whitehouse

Even Roger Waters referred to her as a 'bus stop rat-bag, old hag' on 'Pigs' on the Animals album if I'm not mistaken...

Comment

Till Death Do Us Part was another programme she had it in for. Didn't she once complainthat she'd counted Alf Garnett say bloody 78 times in in one eposode?

Comment

it was controversial with its content as i saw a few episodes of it.
        that programme would not be allowed today.

well that word is not really that bad.

but i never actually knew she had in for this show as well as the A team.

Originally posted by Adam View Post
        Till Death Do Us Part was another programme she had it in for. Didn't she once complainthat she'd counted Alf Garnett say bloody 78 times in in one eposode?
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I don't remember a great deal about Mary Whitehouse other than her looking a bit like Dame Edna and popping up to whinge about things on TV. She always looked like some random old housewife biddy who was getting her knickers in a twist on the nation's behalf. What was her background and how did she become so prominent?
          1976 Vintage

Comment

She was a bible basher and sex education teacher who founded the National Viewers and Listeners Association, so a busybody really

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Whitehouse
            The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

She did not exactly like the video nasties in the eighties.

she blamed the james bulger death on childs play film.

Originally posted by HG View Post
              She was a bible basher and sex education teacher who founded the National Viewers and Listeners Association, so a busybody really

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Whitehouse
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

My, now isn't that special?

It sounds like she might have even been the model for Dana Carvey's Church Lady character from "Saturday Night Live."
                Here's Church Lady with Justin Bieber (my apologies for the quality of the vid)

Comment

As Billy Connolly once said of her ... "I wouldn't be too happy either if my name rhymed with toilet"

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    She did not exactly like the video nasties in the eighties.

she blamed the james bulger death on childs play film.
                    There is a certain amount of evidence linking TV & film violence to real-life violence. A woman once did cut her daughter's heart out after watching 'Exorcist 2' and the cannibal killer Jeffrey Dahmer was believed to have been affected by watching 'Silence of the Lambs'
                    "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

I have always thought of Mary Whitehouse as one of those people who write to readers letters section in the newspapers as "Mrs Angry from Slough" Always complaining; no matter the subject just moaning about anything

The sort of person who writes to tv producers saying "A 3 year old child might have been watching" My answer to that would be "Why is your 3 year old child not in bed at 11pm?"

She would have a field day these days & I am sure she would have taken up the cause about violent computer games

As has already been said she should have been taking care of her children or better still she should have been sterlilised so she couldn't concieve any as she was obviously an unsuitable mother. Where were social services in all of this?
                      sigpic
                      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by philipdalton View Post
                        . She is noted for having complained about the showing of the film 'Scum' on Channel 4, which had never been shown on TV prior to that. The film caused quite a stir at the time and may have been the first ever shown on TV to contain a homosexual rape scene.
                        A similar film to Scum is Scrubbers on which Pam StClement (Pat Butcher Eastenders) appeared on as a borstal officer

Two girls escape from an open borstal for two very different reasons; Annetta to attempt to visit her baby daughter, who is being raised in a convent; and Carol, who hopes to be recaptured and sent to a closed borstal where she knows her girlfriend Doreen is being held. Carol's plan works, although she is devastated to find that not only has Doreen found herself a new girlfriend inside (who both taunt and tease Carol), when Annetta is arrested at the convent and sent to the same closed borstal, she assumes it was Carol who "grassed" her up and proceeds to plan her revenge. Carol finds protection in the form of inmate Eddie, while Annetta's constant bullying attempts keep her in solitary confinement; however, Carol's world is turned upside-down when Eddie is released from bortsal and her protection is gone...
                        sigpic
                        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

When I was little I used to get Mary Whitehouse and Barbara Woodhouse mixed up all the time.

True story!

Comment

Me too Jabbso
                            sigpic

Comment

Was she up to no good with Lord Longford whilst preaching about it

Comment

Most probably she was Amethyst & that makes her a hypocrite as well as a busy body
                                Last edited by Twocky61; 08-09-2014, 16:17. Reason: Spelling Correction
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X