which song gets you thinking about childhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

I'll always have time for Belinda's Music - I think that Belinda and Lisa Stansfield were equals in terms of talent and how they sang song's in the 1980s. Lisa really was the United Kingdom's answer to Belinda from America I think (I had never known for year's Belinda was from America - I don't know why, strangley), but indeed all these types of song's make me think of being young/my childhood. There was still ot's of good music up until 1994/1995 I feel/think, what with the abundance ofMusic on TV on a Saturday and Sunday "back in the day".

I have to givve a mention too to T'Pau. What a voice Carol Decker had - Carol was a truly brilliant singer - T'Pau are easily in my 80s top 10 bands/group's/singers.

Thanks Darren as well for the link to Belinda's song it sure instantly took me straight back to the 1980s mate

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
      I'll always have time for Belinda's Music - I think that Belinda and Lisa Stansfield were equals in terms of talent and how they sang song's in the 1980s. Lisa really was the United Kingdom's answer to Belinda from America I think (I had never known for year's Belinda was from America - I don't know why, strangley), but indeed all these types of song's make me think of being young/my childhood. There was still ot's of good music up until 1994/1995 I feel/think, what with the abundance ofMusic on TV on a Saturday and Sunday "back in the day".

I have to givve a mention too to T'Pau. What a voice Carol Decker had - Carol was a truly brilliant singer - T'Pau are easily in my 80s top 10 bands/group's/singers.

Thanks Darren as well for the link to Belinda's song it sure instantly took me straight back to the 1980s mate

80sChav
      Same here for all 3 of them.

The first CD my Dad bought was Belinda's Heaven On Earth, which meant it was played a lot for a few months. Her early years with the Go-gos were good even if they wern't that well known.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The first tape I ever bought was a Pet shop Boy's one from an old fashioned DIY Shop, as I was not botherd about Music until about 13/14. Though from Lisa and Belinda I could honestly not decide pick my favourite as both with most of their song's defined my youth very very much as I started to like their music in the 1990s.

I respect both Belinda and Lisa's careers very much, though i'm unsure how Belinda got into singing and i'm sure her path was'nt easy, I feel with Lisa she had not an easy path like Kim Wilde - another singer who's mega hit Kids In America brings my 80s and 90s youth back straight away too.

80sChav

Comment

yes i remember buying that belinda song heaven is a place on earth not long after it came out.
          never stoppesd playing it on my twin deck cassette player.

here is another song that makes me think of the good old days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSh6SQd8UrI
          apparently this song has a lot cut from it.
          based on a film this song is.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Comment

fantasticsong milkman

here is another one from me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAZgLcK5LzI

Comment

Kim Wilde and Kids In America is another song i've just recalled i s so much used to like, though I was too young to know of it really when it was new in 1981, but I recall it still being immenmsley popular into early 1990s and later possibly as far as that goes. It isw not a song i'd associate with the Year of 1981 if i'm honest, it truly stood the test of time and was so unique in many a way to others' of it's era. I always recal Diana ross (i'm unsure if it was when she was with the Supremes), Do You Know Where Your Going To (which first became famous as an advert for Thomas Cook I think, though i'm willing to stand corrected if it was another ad or whatever it was that made it famous).

Either way I can recall first hearing this famous song around 1982 I think - one of my earliest and fiorst happiest memories. It's amazing to think how both these song's have stood the test of time year's later and can be heard at any given place or time! Brilliant Childhood memories indeed.

Comment

another fave of mine.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k95AD9vjAdo

here u go mate.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_lJvGFzcAU

Kim Wilde and Kids In America is another song i've just recalled i s so much used to like, though I was too young to know of it really when it was new in 1981, but I recall it still being immenmsley popular into early 1990s and later possibly as far as that goes. It isw not a song i'd associate with the Year of 1981 if i'm honest, it truly stood the test of time and was so unique in many a way to others' of it's era. I always recal Diana ross (i'm unsure if it was when she was with the Supremes), Do You Know Where Your Going To (which first became famous as an advert for Thomas Cook I think, though i'm willing to stand corrected if it was another ad or whatever it was that made it famous).

Either way I can recall first hearing this famous song around 1982 I think - one of my earliest and fiorst happiest memories. It's amazing to think how both these song's have stood the test of time year's later and can be heard at any given place or time! Brilliant Childhood memories indeed.

Comment

Mickey by Toni Basil and The Lion Sleeps Tonight by Tight Fit are songs which really remind me of childhood.
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

Another great song I like very much that reminds me of my youth, though i often have forgot how much I like it until I hear it, is Without You by Nillson, a brilliant song even if it was new many years before I was born and I must've been 10/13 when I first heard it. Without You is just a song that is so sad I think but so brilliantly wrote and sang too.

As well I like Carrie (I think it is Carrie with the lines Carrie does'nt live here any more), though i'm unsure, if anyone can confirm this or not please, thanks. If it is Carrie , the name of the song, then it holds special reasons as a first true love of the same name, years after first hearing the song.

80sChav

Comment

brilliant song.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKqenACEPa8

mariah carey also did a cover of this song.

a song i just love.
                        brings back memories for me.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyggY_R3jU8

here is carrie.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umCF6go6YAs
                        dont know if its the right one.
                        bound to be many songs by that name.

Another great song I like very much that reminds me of my youth, though i often have forgot how much I like it until I hear it, is Without You by Nillson, a brilliant song even if it was new many years before I was born and I must've been 10/13 when I first heard it. Without You is just a song that is so sad I think but so brilliantly wrote and sang too.

As well I like Carrie (I think it is Carrie with the lines Carrie does'nt live here any more), though i'm unsure, if anyone can confirm this or not please, thanks. If it is Carrie , the name of the song, then it holds special reasons as a first true love of the same name, years after first hearing the song.

80sChav

Comment

I have always like the original versiuon of Seasons In The Sun before Westlife made a good cover version of it - though i'd not recalled the song for years and years, until many years after as I was older. I always think of the Oringinal version of Seasons In The Sun, a very brilliantly written song indeed I think, though it has very sad lyrics and words.

80sChav
                          Last edited by 80sChav; 06-07-2012, 00:16.

Comment

Sorry I tried to edit my last post but I had no time to edit it left. I am trying to think (and am wishing I knew) who sang Seasons In The Sun orginaly until Westlife did a cover version of it. I can sort of recall the person's name - though i'm still unsure, it would be great if anyone can help recall who sang the song.

Thanks.

80sChav
                            Last edited by 80sChav; 06-07-2012, 00:27.

Comment

Seasons in the Sun was a worldwide hit song for Terry Jacks in 1974.It was
                              first released in the United States and Canada early in theyear, and rose to number one in America by March An earlierrecording appeared on The Kingston Trio's 1963 album, Time to Think.The song had also been done by English band The Fortunes in 1968, andby Pearls Before Swine in 1970/71.The song was based on Le Moribond The Dying Man written byJacques Brel in 1961. Brel's son
                              g was translated into English by poetRod McKuen and this version was first recorded by Bob Shane of theKingston Trio, but it did not sell. The Beach Boys also recorded thesong but it was never released.Terry Jacks, who had participated in the Beach Boys recording, and whohad in fact introduced the song to the group, rewrote part of thelyrics to "lighten them up." Jacks' revisions tended to add a bit ofambiguity as to the nature of the storyteller's demise, allowinglisteners the option to choose whether the death is from suicide over afailed life - quite possibly to escape drug addiction - or someoneaccepting death from natural causes, or cancer.

here is another one that reminds me of my childhood.
                              http://youtu.be/N1tTN-b5KHg

I have always like the original versiuon of Seasons In The Sun before Westlife made a good cover version of it - though i'd not recalled the song for years and years, until many years after as I was older. I always think of the Oringinal version of Seasons In The Sun, a very brilliantly written song indeed I think, though it has very sad lyrics and words.

80sChav

Comment

The golden Oldie Picture Show "video" for Seasons In The Sun depicted it as a show soldier thinking about his past life.
                                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                                X