Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: which song gets you thinking about childhood

Default Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    'My Brother' by Terry Scott.
    do u mean terry scott of terry and june.
    if so never knew he sang.
    Heheh yep, the very same guy ( and cheers to Marine Boy for the linkage)

Which reminds me of another childhood faves, Bernard Cribbins ' Right Said Fred' / 'Hole in the Ground'

Avidly watching Top of the Pops as a 9 year old in 1971 and seeing T.Rex doing 'Get It On'...found it on You Tube recently and it is still as cool as it was to my eyes over forty years ago.

Move a few years and it would be Van McCoy's 'The Hustle' and school discos...ahhhhh, memories!

Many songs remind me of my mispent teenage years.Thinking of songs or tunes that remind me of my childhood however is much more diffacult.Most of it would be connected to school programs or childrens programs of the time(early-late 70's) or childrens songs from childrens choice radio with stewpot.Real non kiddies music must be things like popcorn where we used to have to move around the school hall moving to it,or parts from the album Music inspired by the Snowgoose by camel.Took me years finding where that piece of music had come from and love that album dearly today.

As a fan of Only Fools and Horses, i'm always watching it. There is ssome un-beliveable 80s songs on it in some episodes. There are often song's on Only Fools and Horses I remember but can not recall them exactly but just think "wow I heard that as a Kid". I like Soul2Soul and the Back To Life - a truly brilliant dance song that instantly makes me think of being in my teens as do Whigfield with Saturday Night and Haddoway - Pleae Don't Go? (I think the name was, though i'm unsure).

Whifield and Saturday Night was just sensational I think - a dance song, that'll forever be on the scene no matter where you are, say in a Country Pub or a crowded Pub. Hearing this makes me think time and again about Sunday Morning TV and when everything in my life was quite ok for me. What memories - so many when thinking of my childhood.

The makers of OF&H seemed to go out of their way to include current songs (sometimes causing rights issues on video & DVD releases), though the disco in the early episode Go West Young Man seemed be playing a medley of cheapo cover versions. I guess the budget was low in those days.
    The Trickster On The Roof

The theme tune to The Young Ones and Old Grey Whistle Test. That and the BBC and ITN news themes. World In Action theme tune. Various advert jingles. Proper music wise, Ace Of Spades by Motorhead. It was *that* episode of The Young Ones that introduced me to my beloved Lemmy. Wonderful warm fuzziness wriggles inside me when I hear that song, for lots of reasons.

Great thread!

For me it's anything of the Rumours album by Fleetwood Mac. I heard that album a trillion times as a kid, and I still love all the songs on it even today. Good times.

I have just been watching some episodes of Only fools and Horses - what classics are on there from the era of Rodney's Wedding! Where Is The Love? by I think P Bryson and Roberto Flack (though i'm unsure to be certain), and I Holding Back The years I think by Simply Red. Mick Hucknall and Simply Red to me were like Wet Wet Wet, as in not many groups had so many hits so continualy. I also recall hearing an advert with a Ha Ha! song on it - Take On Me I think it was (or it might of been the Sun Always Shines On TV), but I think it is Take On Me, more so.

I really like all these song's etc, but the era of P Bryson and Roberta Flack and others from the early to middle of he 1980s like these and Brenda Russell with "Piano In The Dark" for me really were the 1980s version of the 1960s Soul Era of Mary Wells etc. This was in the early 1990s when I got into this type of Music on tapes like Night Flight before tapes with any compilation of certain styles of Music was brought out! A great era and time indeed, even10 years or so later when I discoverd it too.

There's been a few versions of Where Is The Love, but the one on OF&H is by Mica Paris & Will Downing, at least it is on the Soundtrack CD.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Ill agree with you on whigfield saturday night. mate.
    here she is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOvcytygY_M

here is a song that brings me back to the eighties watching loads of great programees in the morning.
    the eighties for me the nest time of my life.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LwoSxc_J4Y

Quote Originally Posted by 80sChav View Post
    As a fan of Only Fools and Horses, i'm always watching it. There is ssome un-beliveable 80s songs on it in some episodes. There are often song's on Only Fools and Horses I remember but can not recall them exactly but just think "wow I heard that as a Kid". I like Soul2Soul and the Back To Life - a truly brilliant dance song that instantly makes me think of being in my teens as do Whigfield with Saturday Night and Haddoway - Pleae Don't Go? (I think the name was, though i'm unsure).

Whifield and Saturday Night was just sensational I think - a dance song, that'll forever be on the scene no matter where you are, say in a Country Pub or a crowded Pub. Hearing this makes me think time and again about Sunday Morning TV and when everything in my life was quite ok for me. What memories - so many when thinking of my childhood.