Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

Originally posted by fotso View Post
    I have got too amy song's really that have me thinking of my Childhood really. I think i'd said it in another thread but thoughthe song is'nt sensationaly great "These are the Day's Of Our Lives" by Queen with George Michael + Lisa Stansfield is a great song lyric wise and will always remind me of my childhood, as does most of Lisa's song's themselves too.[/COLOR]

Others that remind of my Childhood too are Chesney Hawks, The One and Only Only, Brian Adams Everything I Do (I Do It For You) to name but just some as i've so many numerous ones
    We must be brother and/or Sister lost fotso. - I love all these in-particulary Chesney hawks who created the name Chesney to become trendy with Chesney from Coronation Street. Everything I Do was great too - but after a bit, just like Love Is All around and Wet Wet Wet got very annoying at Number 1 after a while, like Torn by Natalie Imbruglia was always played in 1997 repeatedly!

We must be a similar age is all I can say - as all these are from around 1991/92, but I am glad someone else appreciates Lisa, George and Queen with "These Are The Days Of Our Life" - though rightly or wrong Lisa was "Top 5 best Solo singer act of that era" as was George the best male and Queen best group! Though how Chesney's "One and Only" never stayed at Mumber 1 or did as good as Brian Adams amazes me too - as it should have ran it very very very close and been a hit as long I think!

Two more faves of mine at the moment are Deacon Blue - I'll Never Fall In Love Again - with the Woman Singer'samazing voice (another Singer/Singers - who deserved way more credit) and as well Nick Kershaw with I'll Not Let the Sun Go Down On Me (and I have only re-gottan into appreciating Nick over the last few months) but somehow he is everywhere on nearly every Radio station going with that Song - which shows how under-appreciated/valued he was .... just like Pete Cox from Go West as was proved in Reborn In The USA in 2003 or when-ever it was! These 2 are 2 guys - who are vastly vastly underated and are probably the the 2 best Solo Artists of the 80s ever!!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
      We must be brother and/or Sister lost fotso. - I love all these in-particulary Chesney hawks who created the name Chesney to become trendy with Chesney from Coronation Street.
      Flanagan & Allen = Bud Flanagan & Chesney Allen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanagan_and_Allen

Comment

I am certain that Chesney was a bit of an "old person's" name before it came back into fashion in the 1990s.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Another one/2- I nearly cry when I hear them are Nillson and Without You and the great great group The Real Thing and You To Me Are Everything!!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
            Another one/2- I nearly cry when I hear them are Nillson and Without You and the great great group The Real Thing and You To Me Are Everything!!

80sChav
            Without You is a special, special song ..

Did he write it himself ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
              Without You is a special, special song ..

Did he write it himself ??

Think i read somewhere that the singer from Badfinger wrote without you....Happy to be corrected
              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

At the moment i am listening to the Pet Shop Boys with or not with Dusty Springfield - what total legends both are of their individual genes of Music

The Pet shop Boys totaly rocked the last 5 years of the 80s and then bringing Dusty back as they did with Nothing Has Been Proved/What Have I Done To Deserve This - proved what great PBS are as with similar collabarations with Robbie williams in the mid noughties, but this what they did for Dusty or rather what Dusty did for them "rocketed" them beyond Orbit into another Stratosphere in my opinion. All this was the late 80s to very early 90s and some of the first Music I had gottan into as a Kid I had heard bits of old Dusty Songs from the 60s my Mum played and with-in a few years equaly grew to love these/and knew the qaulity of You Don't Have To Say You Love Me/I Only Wanna Be With You etc - but as I say these collaberations to both PBS and Dusty beyond Orbit into another Straosphere

Both Dusty's era's was immense singing wise - but compare Man U first winning the European Cup (Champions Leauge in Today's currency) and then winning it again in 199 all thos years later and that illustrates to me what a peak Dusty hit in both respective eras. On the subject of 1999 it is so sad and un-beliveable she was taken from us so early.

How amazing and brilliant I often think it may have been if Dusty had gottan to sing collaberations/versions of the few "remotley good singers of today", like Duffy and warwick Avenue and Amy Winehouse's Valerie and Back To Black etc

It's too tragic for words how young at 59 years old that Dusty, as England's greatest ever never to be matched Soul Singer who matched all the Mowtown Soul Singers died so young

80sChav

Comment

Pet Shop Boys melodies were fabulous... have a listen to Years and Years. ...they remind me of them !

Tracks
                  King

Comment

Was Neil Tennant the Julian Clary-soundalike singer in the group? (it sounds like that to me) - they did make the songs more interesting to listen to!
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                      Was Neil Tennant the Julian Clary-soundalike singer in the group? (it sounds like that to me) - they did make the songs more interesting to listen to!
                      He kinda spoke the words rather than sing them ... I don’t listen to lyrics - it’s all about the melodies

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                        He kinda spoke the words rather than sing them ... I don’t listen to lyrics - it’s all about the melodies
                        In a pure Telly Savalas sort of way (for he was unable to sing them). Tennant still sounded like Julian Clary a bit when he spoke them.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Just listening to a 50s (50s!) compilation and Moulin Rouge by Mantovani came on, just as I saw this topic!

Now, I may be old but I'm not that old! No, but I was given an EP by Monty once by my grandmother (I had mumps, she was cheering me up!).

At the time, I didn't have many records so everything got played multiple times. This track is one I come back to every now and then.
                          Attached Files
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Other "honurable mentions" that I have just recently recalled upon hearing them are Everything I Own by Boy Georege and/or Culture Club and The conga/Agaddoo by Black Lace - agreat group indeed who was so good at "novelty songs" I thought

80sChav

Comment

Pick of the Pops had a 1984 chart the week before last which had Agaddoo on it - no surprise that Gambo didn't play it.

I know I have mentioned it before, but the 7 inch record sleeve was priceless - an orange cover with our heroes (who looked ten years older than they were obviously because: A) it was the 1980s and people used to age more back then sans Sir Cliff; and: B) they were from Leeds), with spiky blond hair, loud Bermuda "I've just been on holiday" shirts and black leather "bin liner" trousers, holding cocktails with a "dolls' house" sized parasol hanging over the glasses.

I hope you are not going to spell my name Georege, by the way...
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

And of course, Agaddoo reminded me of Russ Abbot's classic hit Atmosphere - I bet that anyone who got nostalgic over that hit were mostly those who used to stay in Butlins or Pontins in the mid 1980s (around the time when their chalets just about passed their Health and Safety standards). All a thing of the past now of course, which is almost a good thing in a way.
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X