Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: which song gets you thinking about childhood

Default Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

The sounds from the early to mid 70's, my dad going out to work at 6am and leaving the radio (rediffusion on the TV) on.

I'd like to teach the world to sing.
    My sweet lord.
    The New Seekers
    Mary Hopkin

In my primary school days, from the mid 70's, there were certain ballad-type songs which immediately seemed to connect with all age groups, from my school mates to our grandparents, and which are particularly poignant. These include "Mississippi" by ***** Cat, "Northern Lights" by Renaissance, "Bright Eyes" by Art Garfunkel, "Maybe" by Thom Pace, (the theme to Grizzley Adams), "You left me just when I needed you most" by Randy Vanwarmer, "If I had you" The Corgi's, and the new Seekers as mentioned by Havasack. You get the picture!

Quote Originally Posted by Fabunova View Post
    In my primary school days, from the mid 70's, there were certain ballad-type songs which immediately seemed to connect with all age groups, from my school mates to our grandparents, and which are particularly poignant. These include "Mississippi" by ***** Cat, "Northern Lights" by Renaissance, "Bright Eyes" by Art Garfunkel, "Maybe" by Thom Pace, (the theme to Grizzley Adams), "You left me just when I needed you most" by Randy Vanwarmer, "If I had you" The Corgi's, and the new Seekers as mentioned by Havasack. You get the picture!
    "Mississippi" yep!
    "Northern Lights" yep!
    "Maybe" yep!.............

Frankie by sister sledge, really showing my age now
    "Man who catch fly with chopsticks accomplish anything"

Well if you think that shows your age, it makes me feel right over the hill!

I remember we used to record the radio 1 chart show on sunday nights - I still have the tape with Frankie on! It also has Madonna Material Girl, my mother thought I was too young (at ten) to be listening to 'the ho' Madonna after seeing the Like a Virgin video on TOTP! and putting a Madge poster up got me some snide remarks lol Guess it would be the equivalent of a 10 yr old listening to Lady Gaga now lol. Anyhow tape also contained, View to a Kill by Duran Duran, what a great time!

I have been scanning through some episodes of TOTP from the early 80s just recently and I have rediscovered a band and a man I had forgotten all about, Buster Bloodvessel and Bad Manners. He. Is. Incredible! In one performance, for their version of the Can Can, he came bounding onto the stage in the studio dressed in a bright yellow and black old-fashioned style dress, long white frilly bloomers, big red DM boots and proceeded to do the most perfect cartwheel I have ever seen! What made it all the more impressive is that Buster is about six foot tall (so it looks to me) and is build like a brick outhouse! He is a very good antidote to the down-in-the-dumps feelings.

LOL I am sure he must of been on the 'identity parade' line up on Never Mind The Buzzcocks!

I don't think he was on the ID parade on the show, but he was a guest on an Xmas ep, he and his band played some music and you had to guess what Xmas lyrics they were singing to the music. If Xmas sounded like that, I would get interested in it!

Here is it! In all it's glory!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sirHoeJ5Td8