Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/2 Season hit wonder football teams who got Promoted!

Default 1/2 Season hit wonder football teams who got Promoted!

I can remember when (I was still young-ish) that Teams like Cambridge Utd with Dion Dublin as their star player got Promoted to Championship Level, plus TEams like Peterborough had a 2 year spell there in the early 90s!! Barry Fry and Southend achieved wonders at that level for about 5 Seasons, Brentford had 1 year there too as well as Notts County swiftly speeding through the Leauges to the old Division One and going back down just as fast!!

Somehow now, I doubt these day's will ever happen again (or half as much), but for the spirit of Fooball, I dearly do hope thing's happen again as so though

Default Re: 1/2 Season hit wonder football teams who got Promted!

There's been a few smaller teams recently that have had a good spell & being premoted, sometimes with a year or 2 in the top division.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Default Re: 1/2 Season hit wonder football teams who got Promted!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    There's been a few smaller teams recently that have had a good spell & being premoted, sometimes with a year or 2 in the top division.
    Yeah true Richard. Blackpool, Reading and Swansea and the most amazing one Imho Bradford City in 1999/2000. Everyone know's what they were doing that day Bradford created the miracle of all miracles and not just "overhauled" Wimbledon and relegated them in the process but won against the odds at home to Liverpool to stay up.

I just hope next season they are not the first team to go from the Premiership to the Blue Square Premier in such little time at all.

Default Re: 1/2 Season hit wonder football teams who got Promoted!

Oldham had a good run in the early 90's. They're traditionally a division three/four team but between 1990-94 they were promoted to the premier league, got to two FA Cup semi-finals and a Runner-up spot in the league cup.

I think it was mostly down to their plastic pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Avahi1057 View Post
    Oldham had a good run in the early 90's. They're traditionally a division three/four team but between 1990-94 they were promoted to the premier league, got to two FA Cup semi-finals and a Runner-up spot in the league cup.

I think it was mostly down to their plastic pitch.
    Yeah loosing the last Cup Semi Final sadly finished their tenure in the Premier I think it'd be fair to say possibly

My team was a one season wonder in League 2 and in typical City fashion struggled to get out. Don't wanna go back. Happy being top thanks.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Swansea. John Toshack. Flew too close to the flames.....

I think it was 81/82 ish, basically Tosh recruited a load of grizzled old pros (Bob Latchford, Ray Kennedy) who stormed the Div One table for a year. Then it all went wrong, I guess the old pros got older, poor RK was diagnosed with Parkinson's, and the Swans sank. Down to Div 4 and nearly out of the League altogether only a few years later.

In the sixties Northampton went from Div Four to Div One and back again in the space of 9 years.....

Tosh seemed to buy in a few other old friends from Liverpool as well as Ray Kennedy, Tommy Smith & Ian Callaghan come to mind.

Southampton had a similar team at the time, but also brought in some youngsters to make it a "Dad's Army" style lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollingstone43 View Post
    Swansea. John Toshack. Flew too close to the flames.....

I think it was 81/82 ish, basically Tosh recruited a load of grizzled old pros (Bob Latchford, Ray Kennedy) who stormed the Div One table for a year. Then it all went wrong, I guess the old pros got older, poor RK was diagnosed with Parkinson's, and the Swans sank. Down to Div 4 and nearly out of the League altogether only a few years later.

In the sixties Northampton went from Div Four to Div One and back again in the space of 9 years.....
    Yes I recall Northampton's finest hour. They played in mauve and white if IRC.

Carlisle came up in the early 70's didn't they ?

Of course there's Swindon who got promoted to the Prem/1st Division......they even beat Spurs too. But then everybody does don't they ?

Swindon would have been in the top division in 1990/1 but were banned from being premoted after it was found they had made illegal payments to players.