Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When it wasn't cool to wear a Jumper/Coat

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
    I don't know why it was but there was just something about Jumpers at this age, that "shouted out" the word Wuss if you wore one.
    in my secondary school we where supposed to wear the blue jumper but hardly anyone did.
    im pretty sure its ecause it was not cool to.
    and u got a funny look if u did wear it
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

It is funny you should say this Darren - it was similar for us at School too, well my 2nd Secondary anyway, but i've always been and still am a person who has cold-blood - even if it's 90 degrees outside, it takes a lot to faze me - but less now than when I was younger, but I still never liked been sun-prone even for a tan etc too, which i've never really been interested in pursuing bar the odd once or twice in my youth.

Though to not wear a Jumper at School or even when out playing with friends, i'd do that with in reason by not wearing one or even going to say someone's 13/14th Birthday Party a Shirt alone and no Jumper would still surfice in the "cold of the night" as it were, but be on Blackpool Prom or whatever and the chance to pursue a sun-tan even in my 20s etc, no way would I do that and still would'nt now. Odd really - I can not fugure this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Llamarama View Post
        It school hardly anyone wore jumpers, i'd even roll my sleves up in winter!

Why not though I say! I mean for mean - even when I was young (and still now to a extent) it was a case of the less clothes shown like Jumpers the better and the more the T-Shirt could be worn under a Shirt the better. Amazing to think this style has spanned 40/50 years differing generations/era's and still lives on now I think, it sure is one look that'll always remain (I sure hope so anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
          As another Geordie I was the same.

At school it was ok to wear a coat, but having the hood up or wearing a hat was a big no no. Didn't matter that it was -5 outside and lashing down with rain. Everyone turned up with soaking wet hair. I'd pull mine down as soon as I got round the corner from home where sensible mam had insisted I put mine up.

As for nights out, well nothing less than a hankerchief sized dress would surfice and no coat was the golden rule. I have a vivid memory of one New Years Eve in the 90's, me and my friends struggling to totter up an icy bank from the beach promenade bar in Whitley Bay with the sea raging and horizontal snow battering us. All of us were in strappy dresses and sandals. Thankfully those days are behind me!
          Another geordie, I was very much a tracky top kid when at school in the 70's and early 80's but judging by what my daughter and friends wore for school last winter I guess the 'no coats' rule is still in force.

As for a night out, the summerwear allyear was thought of as a joke by mnay from outside the area till people made an effort to come up here for nights out etc and realised that taking a coat with you was stupid. Home to town in a taxi then the closeness from one pub to the next and heat generated inside by the seething masses therein meant those few moments staggering from one place to the next were necessary to cool down.

Comment

I still dont wear jumpers even now.
            i rather wear two t shirts or a t shirt under a good shirt long sleeve shirt to keep out the sun.

The idea of getting a tan does not interest me.

id rather stay in that go out and get a tan or in my case get sun burnt.
            that what happens when your ginger.

i feel very claustropobic wearing jumpers.

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
            It is funny you should say this Darren - it was similar for us at School too, well my 2nd Secondary anyway, but i've always been and still am a person who has cold-blood - even if it's 90 degrees outside, it takes a lot to faze me - but less now than when I was younger, but I still never liked been sun-prone even for a tan etc too, which i've never really been interested in pursuing bar the odd once or twice in my youth.

Though to not wear a Jumper at School or even when out playing with friends, i'd do that with in reason by not wearing one or even going to say someone's 13/14th Birthday Party a Shirt alone and no Jumper would still surfice in the "cold of the night" as it were, but be on Blackpool Prom or whatever and the chance to pursue a sun-tan even in my 20s etc, no way would I do that and still would'nt now. Odd really - I can not fugure this one.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Wool jumpers are always itchy, sweatshirts are nicer, softer and warmer and more comfortable. The older you get, the more you feel the cold, well I do anyway. I only own one sweatshirt, had it for nearly two years now, not seen much wear so it should last me a good few years yet.
              - Rik Mayall Fanpage On Facebook
              - My retro Youtube channel.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

I've never been out without a coat or cardi or something over my shoulders. Up here you see some sights, the denizens of downtown Darlington would melt your eyes, with all the white flesh hanging out.

Mind you, you don't take owt out you want to keep nice. I have a line of dark cardis I can fold up and tie round me handbag strap.

When I go out, and the doormen are all wrapped up in fifteen layers with a wooley hat on top, I grin and say I'm from West Yorkshire - we sunbathe in this weather!

Comment

Originally posted by Llamarama View Post
                  It's the cool leather jacket that does it, cool and understated.
                  Yeah or a shirt with a T-Shirt in the same vain!

we hjould all be thankful forever to Joihn travolta for this look I say/think tbh

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                  X