Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks, Kendo Nagasaki?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks, Kendo Nagasaki?

I've met some of them when they've been in my area. Dave "Fit" Finlay may be a bad boy in the ring, but out of it he was one of the nicest people I've ever met. His wife Princess Paula was lovely, very polite and very friendly, not at all how she was on tv

Mike "Flash" Jordan, Mark "Rollerball" Rocco, "Bomber" Pat Roach, also Brian Crabtree (Big daddy's brother) who did the ring announcements.

I once stood at the side of Giant Haystacks...

Giant was an understatement 6' 11" (for reference slightly taller than The Undertaker) needless to say he more than dwarfed me lol

Anyone remember him advertising KP Skips?

Comment

Oh happy wife I am... my hubby knows me too well. He gave me some pure nostalgia with th dvd... AtoZ of British wrestling taken from the old World of Sport programme. I sat there with tears in my eyes watching the golden days of tag matches, king of the ring etc. Our eldest was giggling so much at the sight of the grannies in the audience waving their handbags and yelling 'gt back in there and kill him' AAAAAHHHH perfect!
      sigpic
      Mrs Oggy
      ~~~*~~~*~~~
      Count your friends amongst the stars....
      And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

A good book on the subject is "The Wrestling" by Simon Garfield. As a kid in the late 60's I used to love that 45 minutes or so every Saturday afternoon watching the wrestling on World of Sport and waiting for the football results. Usually came from somewhere glamorous like Kippax Drill Hall. Until Paul Merton mentioned it, I used to think I was the only one who had misinterpreted Kent Walton's famous sign-off; instead of "Have a good week (and) until next week" I heard it as "Have a good week (but only) until next week" and used to worry something bad might happen if I wasn't there to hear it again next time. Like a lot of people, I think it was the Crabtree brothers who killed it, when nearly every fight seemed to feature Big Daddy in a tag contest with the same predictable old script; BD's gimmicky partner humiliates baddie; one baddy traps BD's partner in corner whilst other implausibly distracts referee; BD strains at tag rope wanting to intervene but can't bring himself to break the rules; partner finally tags BD; BD potters around a bit before gently dabbing belly on obligingy laying-down baddy; bell. Still beats that American rubbish though, where they smash metal chairs in each other's faces without even spoiling their makeup.
        Still crazy after all these years.

Comment

BD potters around a bit before gently dabbing belly on obligingy laying-down baddy; bell. Still beats that American rubbish though, where they smash metal chairs in each other's faces without even spoiling their makeup.

Tell that to King Kong Kirk !

In August 1987, Kirk died after a tragic turn of events during the final moments of the match at the hippodrome circus in Great Yarmouth in Norfolk against British wrestling legend Shirley "Big Daddy" Crabtree. After Big Daddy had delivered his signature belly-splash. Kirk turned an unhealthy colour and was rushed to the James Paget hospital in Gorleston in Norfolk, but was pronounced dead on arrival. The inquest into Kirk's death found that he had a serious heart condition and cleared Crabtree of any responsibility; nevertheless Crabtree was devastated and blamed himself for Kirk's death.

Malcolm Kirk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Woff

Comment

Ooer, I had no idea about that. Maybe explains why Big Daddy's belly splash always seemed much tamer than Giant Haystack's though, ie if he was scared of it happening again. I remember Mal Kirk quite well; made a good job of playing the baddy, but still somehow looked like he'd rather have been at home playing with the grandkids.
            Still crazy after all these years.

Comment

i am amazded that no one has mentoined the hells angells

BAD BOY BOBBY BARNES AND OF THE COURSE THE INFAMOUS ADRAIN STREET

Comment

I remember one beautiful sunny day when i was about 4 or 5.My dad closed the curtains,and we all sat down watching wrestling and the football draws.I can still remember eating things wonderful as i watched,which i think may have been a cream cake and pop,or something.

Comment

PMSL, I just found Kendo Nagasaki's website. He has now retired from wrestling, and is following a career as a mystic, teaching techniques of meditation through which one can find spiritual wisdom!

http://www.kendonagasaki.org/

Comment

Originally posted by zippymk View Post
                    i am amazded that no one has mentoined the hells angells

BAD BOY BOBBY BARNES AND OF THE COURSE THE INFAMOUS ADRAIN STREET
                    Adrian Street took it very seriously. My brother was a huge wrestling fan, and was at Belle Vue when a little old man in the crowd kept poking Street with an umbrella-ella-ella, and Street climbed out of the ring and started to walk off in protest. The promoter panicked and tried to drag Street back to the ring and make it look as if it were part of the show, but Street lamped him one and ended up in court! I think he was bound over or something.

Comment

Hey, now those guys weren't just legends, they were NATIONAL TREASURES!!! Cultural Icons (hey, anybody remember the Giant Haystacks Skips advert/Big Daddy comic strip?).
                      Looka at Saturday afternoon ITV(1) TV now.
                      WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Nagasaki - now I know where I got my little saying from all those years ago - 'shut up, or I will use my Nagasaki Nose Throw'

Comment

Come on everybody after the count of threE, you know the chant.
                          1.. 2... 3...
                          EASY!!! EASYY!! EASY!!
                          WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

really enjoyed this on a saturday afternoon.
                            they are not exactly the picture of health though.
                            think this was on just after world of sport on with dickie davies.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by vanhelsing View Post
                              Come on everybody after the count of threE, you know the chant.
                              1.. 2... 3...
                              EASY!!! EASYY!! EASY!!
                              I remember that! My Mum used to watch the wrestling on saturday afternoons....Anyone remember Mick Mack Manus? He used to dye his hair and was another 'arch rival' of Big Daddy...lol.

Comment

here is a clip.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1PQDxWzGY8
                                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                                X