Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks, Kendo Nagasaki?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks, Kendo Nagasaki?

A couple more off the top of my head ....

Honey Boy Zimba & The Magnificent Maurice (who were both **** and usually lost)

I usually tuned in when The Imps were away, and it was always from either Bradford or Halifax Town Halls wasn't it, although it did come to the Lincoln Drill Hall a couple of times? If I had to pick a fave it would either be The Dynamite Kid or Kendo himself (did anyone ever actually get his mask off, I wonder?)

Loved it when Jim Breaks got in a paddy and started jumpin' about ...... happy days!

Comment

Originally posted by Lilacmoon View Post
      A couple more off the top of my head ....

Honey Boy Zimba & The Magnificent Maurice (who were both **** and usually lost)

I usually tuned in when The Imps were away, and it was always from either Bradford or Halifax Town Halls wasn't it, although it did come to the Lincoln Drill Hall a couple of times? If I had to pick a fave it would either be The Dynamite Kid or Kendo himself (did anyone ever actually get his mask off, I wonder?)

Loved it when Jim Breaks got in a paddy and started jumpin' about ...... happy days!
      Actually, ignore that, just found out a chap called Roger Wells unmasked him in 1978!

Alan Dennison or Tony St Clair anyone???

Comment

I think Big Daddy once unmaked him as well.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Lilacmoon View Post
          Actually, ignore that, just found out a chap called Roger Wells unmasked him in 1978!

Alan Dennison or Tony St Clair anyone???
          Tony St Clair, the ultimate fall guy!
          He must have been a pretty big fellah... maybe six foot four, pretty muscley like a bodybuilder. But the story was usually him as a partner for Big Daddy against Haystacks and some other huge monster. The two monsters would batter St Clair senseless in their corner, as the referee's back was turned to admonish Big Daddy for letting go of his tag rope or something. A weakened St Clair would be out cold on the floor when the ref turned back, and would be counted out.
          So Big D would be on his own, but quickly able to eliminate Haystacks' partner with a 'spash'. Thus leaving Haystacks and Big D to slug it out, which would never end in Haystacks' actual defeat, merely his disqualification. And so the story could continue some weeks later...

Thing was, Daddy and Haystacks started out as tag partners! They were pretty matey in real life, someone told me years later, as he saw them laughing in the bar after one show.

Comment

Les Kellet,best of em' all, try looking on youtube, itv wrestling, their all there! dont forget Adrian Street and Bobby Barnes

Comment

Not sure if this is the right place, but here's my own tribute to Big Daddy:

Comment

Originally posted by ricasso View Post
                Les Kellet,best of em' all, try looking on youtube, itv wrestling, their all there! dont forget Adrian Street and Bobby Barnes
                Go to page 4 of this thread for my brother's hilarious sighting of Adrian Street at Belle Vue wrestling in 1977 or 8.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                  I've met some of them when they've been in my area. Dave "Fit" Finlay may be a bad boy in the ring, but out of it he was one of the nicest people I've ever met. His wife Princess Paula was lovely, very polite and very friendly, not at all how she was on tv

Mike "Flash" Jordan, Mark "Rollerball" Rocco, "Bomber" Pat Roach, also Brian Crabtree (Big daddy's brother) who did the ring announcements.

I once stood at the side of Giant Haystacks...

Giant was an understatement 6' 11" (for reference slightly taller than The Undertaker) needless to say he more than dwarfed me lol

Anyone remember him advertising KP Skips?
                  As it just so happens, I remember the Giant Haystacks Skips advert and the Big Daddy Strip in Buster Comic.
                  WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

For those that may be interested, World Of Sport wrestling is currently being shown on Sky & Freesat on a channel called Men & Movies.
                    It's on for 2 hours on weekdays, starting at 5 o clock.
                    Classic stuff is shown every day.
                    For the record, my favourites are Dynamite Kid, Rollerball Rocco, the hilarious, but hard Les Kellett, and the incredible Johnny Saint (who may well be my all time favourite wrestler).

A few days ago they showed a match between Johnny Saint and Ken Joyce. It's honestly one of the greatest things you will ever see if you are a wrestling fan.
                    You can watch it here -

I am a big fan of professional wrestling in general, but I firmly believe the greatest technical wrestlers & greatest entertainers came from Britain in the 50s, 60s, & 70s.

Comment

fantastic stuff demoneyex i had many happy time watching this on rtv in the good old days.

ill have to start watching it on youtube.

to me this wrestling was the best.
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                        fantastic stuff demoneyex
                        Glad you enjoyed it Darren.
                        Have a watch of this classic.

Comment

fantastic stuff demoneyex.

les kellet looks so baby faced and yet he must be in his late thirties.
                          i just love this era of wrestling.
                          man happy afternoons in front of the telly watching it.

and ok they might not be the best physical specimens but thay did not spoil the entertainment.
                          and as this match shows there was some good humour in it.
                          Last edited by darren; 07-10-2012, 00:12.

Comment

Hiya,do you remember Jackie Pallow? He was also around at this time.

Comment

here he is joanne.

http://youtu.be/2oPrqb_bdzI

he was also knwn as mr tv.

Originally posted by J0anne View Post
                              Hiya,do you remember Jackie Pallow? He was also around at this time.

Comment

Loved wrestling Saturday afternoons on ITV World of Sport A day of watching telly on a Saturday with TISWAS or Multi Coloured Swapshop in the morning (depending which you preferred; in my case TISWAS as Multi Coloured Swapshop was too twee) followed by wrestling in the afternoon
                                sigpic
                                Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Working...
                                X