• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laugh bags/ Bag of Joys

Laugh bag/ Bag of Joys

Heather

Re: Laugh bags/ Bag of Joys

In one of the pubs (which no longer stands) my dad used to go they had one of these 'bag of laughs' behind the bar. It used to freak me the hell out.

Comment

Yes, they were all the rage when I was little in the '70s- I hated them, they sounded horrible! The 'laughter' was anything but fun, it was manic, creepy and altogether insane. Kids at my junior school used to bring them in from time to time, the little fools seemed to find them hilarious. I think the reason for their awful sound was that it wasn't real recorded laughter, but a crude electronic distorted sound-effect that was meant to SIMULATE laughter.

Comment

How did these work? Did you hit them to make them laugh? I had a similar thing, a furry gonk hanging on a spring that laughed when you hit the bottom of it.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

You just squeezed the bag. There is a button in the middle (just below speaker in the picture)

Comment

I can remember these.Not very good at all.One of our neighbours boys had one.I think the neighbours brought if for a party they were having but ended up letting their kids play with it.They were very very annoying.

Comment

Stocking Fillers used to sell them IIRC.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

These had the laughter recorded onto a small 'record', with a tiny stylus playing it, and amplified through a clear film-like cone.

The record was driven by a small motor and elastic band.

The Palitoy Talking Dalek used exactly the same principle.

Comment

Nope never heard of these before even after seeing heathers pic.

Were they sold in shops and how long did they be sold for as in where they still around in the eighties.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                  X