Golden Nuggets-cereal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Nuggets-cereal

Who Remembers These They Were Golden Nuggets were introduced in the 1970s in the UK and the United States, manufactured by Nabisco. They were then withdrawn from the UK market in the late 1970s.
    However, they were brought back to the UK in 1999 with a £1 million advertising campaign, perhaps in response to demand from people who had enjoyed them in the 1970s and now had their own children.
    The packaging features various cartoon characters (drawn by Gary Dunn): Klondike Pete (a gold prospector who mines Golden Nuggets), his mule Pardner, his enemies; two claim-jumpers named Plum Loco Louie and Boot Hill Bob (jointly "The Breakfast Bandits"), and a Golden Nuggets Bee.[1]. The box also sometimes features puzzles suited to the 7-12 year old range.
    The cereal is marketed with the slogan "They Taste Yeee Haaa!!"[1] (Previously "They're honey-crunchin' good!").
    In 2002, as part of Nestlé's Lilo & Stitch promotion, chocolate-flavoured nuggets were mixed in with the Golden Nuggets (according to Klondike Pete in the ads during this time, this was Stitch's work, saying that "That rascal Stitch has gotten some of these Golden Nuggets chocolatey!").

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Re: Golden Nuggets-cereal

I seem to remember the nuggets of the 70 tended not to soak well in milk and took the skin off the roof of your mouth being bigger than the new ones!

Comment

ah, I remember Golden Nuggets so well. I think it was because they tasted nothing like Corn Flakes and Wheat-a-bix, which is what we used to have for breakfast. And then Nuggets arrived on the table and things were never the same again.

1970's variety were bigger than the popcorn sized offering of today. Also, I remember you could do a lot more with the packaging from the 70's; buildiing sets from the box as there were gold mines and other out-back themed boxes.

My kids don't like the new version and if I'm honest, although I'd never be able to admit it in our house, neither do I.

Still, it a great memory.

Comment

Loved Golden Nuggets when I was a kid in the 70's, bought a box a couple of years ago and didn't go much on them at all.......tastes change as you get older and all that I spose

Comment

They're VERY big here in America. The US version tastes EXACTLY like the 70's version (unlike the smaller, less sweet, turn-of-the-millennium UK version) - and - yes - it'll still skin the roof of your mouth...
          Their light of pocket torch, of signal flare,
          Licks at the edge of unsuspected places,
          While others scan, under an arc-lamp's glare,
          Nursery, kitchen sink, or their own faces.
          -Kingsley Amis

Comment

Certainly they were bigger in the 70's and almost broke your teeth eating the things. I used to fill my pockets up with the things to crunch on whilst out playing.

Comment

Working...
            X