Pumps at Primary School.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pumps at Primary School.

I had to wear those too.....................children at school today have to wear them and we call them plimsols today

Comment

They were plimsols when i was a lad or sandshoes.
      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Ah you mean Daps......Pumps were for putting air in your bike tyres mun lol

Comment

Never heard them called 'sandshoes' but do recall 'plimpsoles'....I remember Tesco's sold theirs with the old 'Tesco' font in blue inside the sole with that circle with tick inside it logo - they must have had theirs specially made at outsourced factories or wotnot...

Comment

I bet that Pump's are a sure "no-no" now for PE at primary School these day's (or if they are not much at all). I reckon that Trainers are well more "in" now possiblyor culture and life makes them as so more may-be. Though I recall them well (Pumps) and changing into Pumps in the School's Cloackroom for PE (though that'd not be it's name in those day's) - just excersise or jumping through Hoops or something like we did for excersise.

I am glad that i was part of times like these are time's (in some ways, though not all), when I often think, how primary and Secondary School to a lesser degree were day's of a far slower pace and good times when Sat's etc and stress of going to High school did not matter too much and how you coped with your Subjects went by the way as long as you tried your hardest

Comment

one thing about pumps i remember is there was very little rubber on the bottom of them as your feet where sore after doing p.e in the gym.
              i remember it so well.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                one thing about pumps i remember is there was very little rubber on the bottom of them as your feet where sore after doing p.e in the gym.
                i remember it so well.
                Also the elastic thats on the top of the pumps sometimes would be so tight it could cut into your foot or leave an uncomfortable mark for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                  there was very little rubber on the bottom of them as your feet where sore after doing p.e in the gym.
                  Wow, that's something I haven't thought about for a long time,
                  It's true, even as a child that used to hurt.

Comment

Even worse when running around on an ashfelt surfaced playground after the patten on the sole has worn off.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

That's why in schools I've taught at and my children have attended they have been worn for indoor P.E - they're not designed to be worn for outdoor activity. Most Primary schools use their main assembly hall for P.E. )and often as a dinner hall too) and they don't want the flooring messed up by trainers during P.E. activities.
                      When I was at primary school if you forgot your pumps you had to do P.E. in bare feet. Many schools don't allow that now so kids have to sit out.
                      "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I remember the 'do it bare foot' rule as a kid - didn't like getting my feet dirty as a child....:cry: but it was indoors in the hall they'd do this...but still didn't like getting dust and dirt on my bare soles...At a later school I went to there was a rumour that if you forgot your P.E. kit you had to do it....STRIP NAKED!!!!! As a small kid it frightened the life out of me but looking back it was a silly rumour spread by someone that went round the lower years like wildfire...

Comment

The painful truth about trainers: Are running shoes a waste of money?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...#ixzz1vWlO4GKv
                          Last edited by HG; 21-05-2012, 20:09. Reason: reducing font size

Comment

with such little rubber on the soles they should not even be worn indoors J.

THE only thing u could do was wear thick socks to cuishion your feet.
                            or did you have to wear them in bare feet.
                            i actually rthink u had to wear them barefoot.

Originally posted by Jacqueline View Post
                            That's why in schools I've taught at and my children have attended they have been worn for indoor P.E - they're not designed to be worn for outdoor activity. Most Primary schools use their main assembly hall for P.E. )and often as a dinner hall too) and they don't want the flooring messed up by trainers during P.E. activities.
                            When I was at primary school if you forgot your pumps you had to do P.E. in bare feet. Many schools don't allow that now so kids have to sit out.
                            Last edited by darren; 21-05-2012, 18:51.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember the black ones,they had a little square of rubber on the soles that fell off the first time you wore them.As we got older we had the white lace up ones that had a bright red strip of rubber right around them.

Comment

We had to go bare foot if we forgot our sand shoes. I see the logic of them only being worn indoors now but at the time I got annoyed because I wasn't allowed to wear them outside of school for knocking around the street. I always quite liked them and wanted to wear them!
                                1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                                X