Pumps at Primary School.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumps at Primary School.

Upon seeing the thread in the Members Lounge about dear Trainers in 1987, it brought this back to mind when I had PE at Primary School. Did anyone else have to wear Pumps for PE (with no laces too) at Primary School before Trainers over-ruled them (i'd guess, possibly) in years to come!? Imagaine this/wearing these at High school hmm!!? More-ever how on earth these Pumps are the height of fashion now amongst people now (and worn with no socks) amazes me

Re: Pumps at Primary School.

I remember having to wear those black elasticated pumps at school.

There were some simlar white ones with too long laces & always seemed to smell of fish glue.

In both cases the soles would wear out quickly, which would leave a super slippery surface with no grip at all.

One teacher used to have PE lessons in the playground if the weather was even slightly warm. In pumps this was tricky with lots of loose gravel unfoot.

At managed to persuade her to let me wear my normal shoes for these lessons in the end.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

im sure i did wear them but id need pics of them to really remember.
      although they do sound familiar.
      id have been in primary school from around 78 to 85.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
        im sure i did wear them but id need pics of them to really remember.
        although they do sound familiar.
        id have been in primary school from around 78 to 85.

They are still very similar I think Today, Darren. Today they are like the kind you'd get in Primark etc (I don't know if you have one)? Hope this help's.

Comment

Yes we had to wear them in primary school for PE. We called them Sandshoes (North Eastern thing, no idea why) so I find it funny calling them pumps. Most people had the black pull on variety with the elastic front and a couple had the white lace ups. Never wore them except for PE.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

We always called them plimsolls when I was in junior school in the early 70s. I was a bit perplexed years later when I heard people called them 'pumps'. But yes, the black elasticated variety were the ones we had.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
              We always called them plimsolls when I was in junior school in the early 70s. I was a bit perplexed years later when I heard people called them 'pumps'. But yes, the black elasticated variety were the ones we had.

yes i remember then now.
              we called them plimsoles at school.
              amazing how using a different name makes such a difference.

Comment

We called them plimsolls too. When I went to high school we had these white tennis shoes that looked like Adidas tennis shoes without the branding. I hardly ever wore mine, my sports tended to either require studs or spikes. I actually wore my running spikes when it was super bad weather with all the snow and ice a few years back, they coped with it better than my boots did. I went through several pairs of rugby boots, they got some severe use.

Comment

We always called them pumps around here. They have that rubbery/slightly fishy smell that hit you in the face every time you opened your drawstring P.E bag.
                  I remember some kids trying to make black rubber skid marks on the wooden school hall floor!
                  They are still on my kids school P.E kit list today, but in the shops they are indeed sold as plimsolls.
                  The white ones were always worn by girls in dance troupes and had to be painted with white stuff to keep them perfect.
                  Heather

Comment

I later had a pair of white canvas lace ups that needed 'whitening' every so often with that paint on stuff. After a while the stuff went yellow, must have been PVA based like the early double glazed front doors that also changed colour with age.
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

We had to wear these in infant school for PE. I'm with Tricky here, sand shoes for me!
                      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Moved from Oxfordshire in the 70's, where they were referred to as plimsolls or occasionally pumps, to Somerset, where they were called daps. I didn't have a clue what people were talking about.

Comment

we wore white ones with laces for P.E. i remember.
                          feet always got sore when weraing them in the gym.
                          this happen anyone else,

Comment

I have never seen those shoes or heard of them. Lol

Comment

I wore the black pumps at Junior school. white lace up ones at Grammar school.

They are still required to be worn for indoor P.E. these days. Trainers are worn for outdoor P.E.
                              "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Working...
                              X