Ethnic Culture Trends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethnic Culture Trends

I remember in the 1990's a lot of Irish things became trendy.

Examples include:

Father Ted

Ballykissangel

Roddy Doyle's novels

Ireland qualifing for the 1994 World Cup, & quite a few players either playing in England or born there & playing for Ireland on the "1 grandparent rule"

Ireland winning 4 or of 5 Eurovision contests

A few years later Indian things seem to have a similar jump in popularity.

Think Goodness Gracious Me, Corner Shop, every big city getting a Curry Quarter....
    Faux Irish pubs opening on
    The Trickster On The Roof

Re: Ethnic Culture Trends

When did celebrating St Patrick's day become popular in England? Was that in the 90's? And then there was Michael Flately and his Riverdance, not to mention Boyzone and Westlife all adding to the popularity of Irishness.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

I hadn't realised the quantity of Irish related things.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
        When did celebrating St Patrick's day become popular in England? Was that in the 90's? And then there was Michael Flately and his Riverdance, not to mention Boyzone and Westlife all adding to the popularity of Irishness.
        When the pubs/supermarkets realised they could make a killing selling it to dumb English peeheads.
        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
          When the pubs/supermarkets realised they could make a killing selling it to dumb English peeheads.
          While Guinness has always been well advertised, Murphy's & Caffreys seemed to be be promoted a lot in this period.

Also musicwire were The Corrs & The Cranburys.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

You guys are forgetting the wonderful band B*witched! lol

Comment

Lol,
              the corrs- would, would, would, you would
              B*Witched- would, wouldnt, wouldnt, wouldnt!

We have it good with girl bands now, compare the Saturdays to either of those two above (or the Spice Girls) for looks!

NB this post has been bought to you by slightlysexistopinions.com
              I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

The Celtic thing first became popular in the mid 1980s, although it was confined to Ireland and Scotland- us Welsh were quite the opposite back then, anything to do with Wales was ridiculed, belittled and abused to Hell, not least on Radio 1 and by The Guardian newspaper (the only exception to this being the New Wave band The Alarm, who for some reason were always respected by otherwise prejudiced DJ's and given a fair amount of air-play). However, there were certain individual music pundits such as John Peel and Steve Wright who did their best to redress the balance- I remember Steve Wright encouraging the Welsh listenership to write or fax in to his show in Welsh.
                We had our day in the late '90s with the rise of 'cool Cymru', largely due to the rise of bands such as Catatonia, Manic Street Preachers and Super Furry Animals, which co-incided with a rise in Nationalist sentiment leading to the establishment of the Welsh Assembly.
                I remember getting utterly fed up with the fad for anything Irish during the '80s; any band who came from Ireland immediately became popular just on account of their nationality, such as the Hothouse Flowers etc. However, there was never any antagonism towards the Welsh on the part of Irish or Scottish celebrities except for certain individuals such as Bob Geldof. Anti-Welsh sentiment remains tolerated in the media and on TV to an unacceptable level though, in a way that it would never be over Scotland or Ireland- witness the racist remarks by the likes of AA Gill, Anne Robinson, Dennis Waterman and so on.

Welsh produce is now widely available in English supermarkets, such as Welsh Cakes, butter, cheese and tinned lavabread- our alcoholic beverages haven't caught on quite so well, largely because there's no big money behind them to market them, although if you are ever West of Offa's Dyke I recommend a pint of Brains beer or a snifter of Penderyn whiskey!!

Comment

indeed they did.
                  here are a few more.

daniel o donnell

the late late show with gay byrne.
                  ill think of more im sure

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  I remember in the 1990's a lot of Irish things became trendy.

Examples include:

Father Ted

Ballykissangel

Roddy Doyle's novels

Ireland qualifing for the 1994 World Cup, & quite a few players either playing in England or born there & playing for Ireland on the "1 grandparent rule"

Ireland winning 4 or of 5 Eurovision contests

A few years later Indian things seem to have a similar jump in popularity.

Think Goodness Gracious Me, Corner Shop, every big city getting a Curry Quarter....
                  Faux Irish pubs opening on
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                  X