What is your Home Town famous for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your Home Town famous for?

In this thread could members post what their home town is famous for?
    It could be a person, a sport, something of historical importance,something of natural beauty or maybe even a drink etc.

can be anything from any decade hence why I posted the thread in the members lounge.

A famous person who comes from my home town of Portadown is Gloria Hunniford.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: What is your Home Town famous for?

The Prodigy come from Braintree. And this is a book I came across in the library about towns' claims to fame.

http://www.toastthenation.com/

Comment

August Riots! The Damned, Brit School & Kate Moss
      Last edited by sixtyten; 22-02-2012, 17:54.

Comment

Its 900+ year old cathederal and it's university (full of Oxford and cambridge rejects). Prefab Sprout were from just outside Durham and it was once a major centre for mustard making back in the 17 and 1800's. Not forgetting the awesome Durham Wasps ice hockey team who ceased to be in 1996.
        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Robbie Williams, Anthea Turner,Edward John Smith, Saul 'Slash' Hudson,Sir Stanley Matthews and Reginald Mitchell

probably most Famous for it's Pottery Industry.
          Heather

Comment

Never heard of Edward John Smith

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
              Never heard of Edward John Smith
              Captain of the Titanic
              Heather

Comment

Here in Penzance, we have a couple of historic claims to fame. Humphry Davy, the inventor of the miner's safety lamp, trained as an apothecary in the town in 1795. The building is still there and remained a chemist for over 200 years before closing just last year. There is a statue of the man at the top of our main street.

Also, Penzance was the first place in the country to here about the victory at the Battle of Trafalgar, as well as news of Nelson's death.

One of our current famous residents is the comedian, Sue Perkins. (When I say resident, I do of course mean she has a house in London and a house here.)

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                  One of our current famous residents is the comedian, Sue Perkins. (When I say resident, I do of course mean she has a house in London and a house here.)
                  Went to school in my Home Town

Comment

Mine's going to be a pretty big list.

It has a big film festival. The second Harvey Nichols was opened here. Marks and Spencer and ASDA originated here. We have the biggest weapon collection in the UK. We have the oldest working train station in the world. We have a selection of very prominent sports clubs. It has a garden dedicated to nelson Mandela. Owls adorn all governmental buildings, the important ones having golden owls. John Smiths is brewed here. The London Bombers came from here.

Famous people include Corinne Bailey Rae, Julian Barett, David Batty, Alan Benett, Barbara Taylor Bradford, Mel B, Thomas Chippendale, John Craven, Barry Cryer, Gaynor Faye, Leigh Francis, Angela Griffin, Frazer Hines, Paul Hunter, all the members of the Kaiser Chiefs, Aaron Lennon, Gabby Logan, Nell McAndrew, Malcolm McDowell, Kay Mellor, Vic Reeves, Chris Moyles, Peter O'Toole, Jeremy Paxman, The members of the band Pigeon Detectives, Caryl Phillips, Harry Ramsden, Jimmy Saville, Gary Schofield, Alan Smith, John Simm, John Smeaton, Jane Tomlinson, Chev Walker, Marco Piere White, Ernie Wise and Alex Zane.

It's sort of impossible to avoid the people of my city, no matter what interests you take part in.

Comment

Cheers H its fine.

portadown is also very famous for its linen production in the 19th and 20 century.
                      most of its industry was centred around it.

the following is a list of all the linen factories in the town.

Acheson J. & J. & Co. Bannview Weaving Factory
                      Bessbrook Spinning Co. Limited, Bridge Street
                      Castle Island Linen Co. Castle Island Factory.
                      Cowdy Anthony & Sons, Thomas Street
                      Gribbin Edward & Sons, Market Street
                      Harden Acheson, Limited, Meadow Lane
                      Lutton A. J. & Son, Edenderry
                      Moneypenny & Watson, Cornascrebe
                      Montgomery John, Derryvore
                      Reid Robert & Son, Tarson Hall
                      Robb Hamilton, Edenderry
                      Sefton J. R. & Co. Edenderry
                      Sinton Thomas, Thomas Street
                      Turtle W. J. Bridge Street
                      Watson, Armstrong & Co. Edenderry Factory

one or two of these old mills survive
                      Some of these linen mills survived as manufacturers and major employers into the 1960s, such as Robbs and Achesons but all eventually closed as the demand for Irish Linen fell due to the manufacture of cheaper, man made, fabrics.
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

TEWKESBURY my home town... famous for the BATTLE OF TEWKESBURY (wars of the roses 1471) my house is built on the site. Poor old ERIC MORECAMBE died here at the roses theatre, news reader ANNA FORD was born here, FAMOUS tewkesbury mustard!!!

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                          Captain of the Titanic
                          Hmm I knew that didn't register. Haven't we got another of these threads knocking around somewhere?

Comment

The Wikipedia lists the following for Marple.

John Bradshaw (1602-1659) President of the court that tried King Charles I.
                            Tony Wilson (1950-2007) journalist and record label owner moved to Marple at the age of 5 with his parents.
                            Samuel Oldknow, the industrialist who created a huge textile empire and became Britain's leading manufacturer of muslin moved to Marple after serving an apprenticeship in Nottingham. His lime kilns can still be seen in Marple.
                            Edmund Cooper (1926–1982) was a poet and prolific writer of science fiction and detective novels.
                            Christopher Isherwood (1904–1986) Although born at nearby Wybersley Hall family home was Marple Hall
                            Christopher Finney, recipient of the George Cross.
                            Karl Davies is now a popular actor who attended Marple Hall School.
                            Bob Whittaker was a presenter on Granada Reports. Now runs Orion TV in London.
                            Timmy Mallett grew up in Marple and attended Rose Hill Primary School.
                            Chris Fawkes is a BBC weather forecaster who attended Marple Hall School. (I knew him when I was younger, he lived in the next street)
                            Craig Cash Currently lives in Marple.
                            Several musicians, including bands Delphic, Dutch Uncles and Egyptian Hip Hop (band) grew up in and around Marple.
                            Stephen Bradbury (artist). Artist and illustrator. Grew up in Marple and attended Marple Hall School.

Also Ricky Hatton was born in nearby Hyde but attended Marple Hall School (as did I)

I think "Diddy" David Hamilton lived in Marple at one time.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Eastbourne is famous for

Dr John Bodkin Adams
                              http://www.biography.com/people/john...adams-17172156

and

the murders on the crumbles
                              http://www.guitarhaven.co.uk/eastbou...0crumbles.html

Comment

Working...
                              X