Handheld tv's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Handheld tv's

Using the telescopic aerial you did have to do a bit of moving around to get the best picture. The aerial was around 15" long I would say. The unit wasn't particularly heavy but rather bulky. To be honest, at the time, they were probably a bit of a gimmick due to the poor battery life. On the model I had, there were just two buttons for scanning through the frequency band--there was no way to store stations. Also, you had to look at the screen straight on, otherwise it couldn't be seen properly.

Comment

I have a handheld telly too. Bought it from a second hand shop in 94 for £25. Here is a photo of it m.imgur.com/E2NqIzl?r . I also remember when I was on btsa joinery course, taking the telly and my PlayStation 1 in and me and the instructor sitting playing Rage Racer when we had nothing on.

Me and my mam, R.I.P, found it during a clear out.
      Jeep Swenson January 5th 1957 - August 18 1997.

Comment

Originally posted by OptimusPrime1980 View Post
        I have a handheld telly too. Bought it from a second hand shop in 94 for £25. Here is a photo of it m.imgur.com/E2NqIzl?r . I also remember when I was on btsa joinery course, taking the telly and my PlayStation 1 in and me and the instructor sitting playing Rage Racer when we had nothing on.

Me and my mam, R.I.P, found it during a clear out.
        They don't work now do they with the signal being switched off !?!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The old style ones from the 80s/90s were all analogue as far as I am aware, so can't pick up broadcasts anymore. I'm not sure if there are ways of connecting to a Freeview box as some handhelds had connectors for external aerials, but I suppose having to connect to a box via some kind of wiring set-up defeats the purpose of the handheld TV. I think in today's digital world they are largely reduced to curiosities. Having said that, I suppose you could use one in a region where analogue PAL is still broadcast.

Comment

They were analogue. There is a 3.5mm jack adapter that you can buy to plug in for anything with an aerial connector. Even found an adapter for composite, but haven't bought one, yet.
            Jeep Swenson January 5th 1957 - August 18 1997.

Comment

I remember I had one of those ghetto blasters with radio & double cassette deck complete with a small tv screen
              sigpic
              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I've got a portable (not handheld though) TV which I got from Grattan's free for placing an order when there was an offer on.

This came with an adaptor to connect to a roof aerial, & occasionally I connect it to a video or a Freeview box with an RF output.

One of my richer friends had a ghetto blaster with a mini TV in, but I can't remember him using it much.

Clive Sinclair's mini TV's were technically interesting even if they didn't sell well.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I'd forgotten all about those Sinclair TVs. I don't remember ever seeing one in the flesh.

I, too, had a radio/cassette/TV. I must still have it somewhere in the loft. The TV was a B/W CRT and about 4" or 5" I would guess. I bought it off a work colleague who had originally got it for use while he was in hospital. It had a telescopic aerial plus a sockdg for an external aerial and gave quite a good picture.

Comment

I had a Casio that was installed in a car dashboard by a previous owner. It didn't have audio and video input connectors - just an aerial connector.

Comment

Arran, that was an unusual application for one of those Casios. Did it use the car's aerial as its external source and just the usual AA batteries for its power?

Comment

So just to confirm ...
                        My little 2" screen Casio TV can be chucked away !?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                          Arran, that was an unusual application for one of those Casios. Did it use the car's aerial as its external source and just the usual AA batteries for its power?
                          It used a car TV aerial mounted on the roof connected with a length of co-ax and it was powered from the interior lighting supply with a home made voltage regulator.

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                            So just to confirm ...
                            My little 2" screen Casio TV can be chucked away !?!?!?
                            Incidentally we're in Gtr Manchester with no analogue signal ...

Comment

My portable came with an adaptor cable that would plug into a car cigarette lighter.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Arran: Wow, I am impressed. There couldn't have been many such set-ups around the country. I did wonder about the power source as that Casio of mine ate AA batteries like there was no tomorrow.

Zincubus: I doubt you could get it to actually pick up broadcasts without connecting it to a Freeview box, but I wouldn't throw mine away as I think they are interesting examples of what we used to consider was cutting-edge consumer electronics back in the 80s.

Richard: Interesting to hear you speak of a cigarette lighter adapter. I don't remember mine coming with any accessories other than AC adapter and case. Perhaps more expensive models included one but sadly not mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X