Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas at primary school

Originally posted by big kid View Post
    i don't think schools do nativity plays any more, in case they offend someone.
    This probably happens more in the mind of right wing journalists (& their zombie followers) than real life.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
      This probably happens more in the mind of right wing journalists (& their zombie followers) than real life.
      well, it happens at my old primary school and others that my friends children attend.

Comment

It's actually quite commonplace. Head teachers often use excuses that Nativity plays aren't part of the National Curriculum and it's better for the school to use the time for lessons instead. It's funny how many of the same schools put on a celebration for Eid-ul-Fitr or Diwali...

Comment

I so often think about these (every now and then) and all the Crads I made for my Mum which she saved

All the Parties/day's of no stress/making stuff Art-wise (as we never had an Art Class) that was Xmas related like Crackers from Toilet Rolls .... great great memories these times hold for me indeed! As well too as making Xmas Tree Decorations was great too

Am I alone in believing (just!!) I made a Fairy for the Tree too from a Toilet Roll!!?

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
            I so often think about these (every now and then) and all the Crads I made for my Mum which she saved

All the Parties/day's of no stress/making stuff Art-wise (as we never had an Art Class) that was Xmas related like Crackers from Toilet Rolls .... great great memories these times hold for me indeed! As well too as making Xmas Tree Decorations was great too

Am I alone in believing (just!!) I made a Fairy for the Tree too from a Toilet Roll!!?

80sChav
            No - I have fond, happy memories of this too. The art project that sticks in my mind was a snowman gift. Which was a look roll stuff to a card disc (the feet) with a head stuck to it, whole thing covered in cotton wool. And the best bit... It's arm looped around and held a branch from a real fire tree. And a tube of smarties was stashed in the loo roll body.
            Just what mum wanted for Christmas. But I definitely enjoyed making it,and still remember it 35yrs on.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by big kid View Post
              i loved christmas at primary school.
              Lovely pic; thanks for posting Big Kid
              sigpic
              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

As this is my 400th post, and as we are more or less within the season while I am writing this, I thought I would contribute:

My school had a nativity play one day (a doll playing Jesus, probably due to school Equity rules) - we also had the traditional Christmas party with food brought in from home. I brought some Tracker bars from home and everyone had one. Someone brought in the obligatory jelly in, and kudos to the parent responsible for preparing it beforehand.

There was also the portable post box (just like in some supermarkets), and we used to post Christmas cards, remembering to put the person's name, and the class number on the envelope.

Sometimes I wondered whether this was a ploy to keep us in school so that we didn't go Christmas shopping during school time. If it was, then it did work.
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                  As this is my 400th post, and as we are more or less within the season while I am writing this, I thought I would contribute:

My school had a nativity play one day (a doll playing Jesus, probably due to school Equity rules) - we also had the traditional Christmas party with food brought in from home. I brought some Tracker bars from home and everyone had one. Someone brought in the obligatory jelly in, and kudos to the parent responsible for preparing it beforehand.

There was also the portable post box (just like in some supermarkets), and we used to post Christmas cards, remembering to put the person's name, and the class number on the envelope.

Sometimes I wondered whether this was a ploy to keep us in school so that we didn't go Christmas shopping during school time. If it was, then it did work.
                  We had similar too George at Primary School - though we'd of never considered skiving to go Xmas Shopping ... may-be at Secondary though we would lol (or considered it)!!

Reading all this brings back great fond memories of Xmas at Primary indeed .... no doubts at all about that! What memories!

Richard - what you say about the Nativity - it is probably writters like from the Daily Mail, which is full of liberal do-gooding writters that have probably no helped further foster this view. That is one Newspaper I'd never buy - even if it was the one and only one left in all shops, sadly

80sChav

Comment

Well, I remember our headteacher sending parents a pre-Christmas letter, telling them that every second of school was important for their child, and telling them not to take them out of school during term time to do Christmas shopping. Of course these days, the EWO and a PCSO would be "shopping" in local shopping centres as part of truancy sweeps, and trying to catch anyone who looks of school age, and then round them up like sheepdogs and herd them back to school (or prison as it seemed to be for some).
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Christmas at infant/primary school was magical. In the build up we'd all make decorations to decorate the hall, we'd have the xmas card postbox where kids would post cards to other kids, we'd sing carols in assembly and you could feel the magic of christmas in the air.
                      Then we'd have the christmas party, where you could buy toys and things (I remember buying a 12" Cylon figure from Battlestar Galactica there) and there would be a jumble sale I think. One of the classrooms would be turned into Santa's Grotto where you'd queue up to see santa and he'd have a pink and blue barrel full of sawdust and cheap toys wrapped in tissue paper, where you'd get to "lucky dip" after talking to him.

Living somewhere now where Christmas is in the middle of summer I miss the magic of my childhood xmas.

Comment

I too would love just once to have a white Christmas!! Having said that having it in summer means you can enjoy great things over Chrissie like play cricket in the backyard and dive into the pool to catch the ball.. ride a wave or two at our great beaches, eat cold cuts and seafood instead of traditional hot fare as in colder climates.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                          I too would love just once to have a white Christmas!! Having said that having it in summer means you can enjoy great things over Chrissie like play cricket in the backyard and dive into the pool to catch the ball.. ride a wave or two at our great beaches, eat cold cuts and seafood instead of traditional hot fare as in colder climates.
                          I think that we have already had one this year.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I remember Gabriella Cilmi saying in an interview wintery Christmases seemed strange after growing up in Australia with family barbecues.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                              Christmas at infant/primary school was magical. In the build up we'd all make decorations to decorate the hall, we'd have the xmas card postbox where kids would post cards to other kids, we'd sing carols in assembly and you could feel the magic of christmas in the air.
                              Then we'd have the christmas party, where you could buy toys and things (I remember buying a 12" Cylon figure from Battlestar Galactica there) and there would be a jumble sale I think. One of the classrooms would be turned into Santa's Grotto where you'd queue up to see santa and he'd have a pink and blue barrel full of sawdust and cheap toys wrapped in tissue paper, where you'd get to "lucky dip" after talking to him.

Living somewhere now where Christmas is in the middle of summer I miss the magic of my childhood xmas.

Here, here we had all this too Mulletino braw - upto about 10 years old is the greatest time to experience Xmas as a Kid/or of any age I think. After Primary at Secondary it was never ever the same in how you describe and mention above mate

80sChav

Comment

I remember Gabriella Cilmi saying in an interview wintery Christmases seemed strange after growing up in Australia with family barbecues.
                                All these Christmas songs associating Christmas with snow and winter (because of the Northern Hemisphere, and of course Christmas strongly celebrated in North America and Europe), probably does seem misleading to those in the Southern Hemisphere, such as people in Australia and New Zealand. It's interesting when Australian soap operas have Christmas episodes for example.
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X