Wishing to be in Year 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wishing to be in Year 11

When I was in Year 7/8 I thought that it'd be great being in Year 11, but sadly it meant nothing to me and was nothing like I envisaged it to be in Year 7.
    I guess though this show's how those 4/5 years from being 11 to 15/16 can be. Did any other members hope and wonder and think Year 11 would be something amazing when in Year 7?

80sChav
    Last edited by 80sChav; 12-03-2012, 17:13.

Re: Wishing to be in Year 11

I suppose all first years dreamt of being in the 5th year at high school when they first walked through the doors.
    Its quite daunting going from the biggest kids in primary back to being the little kids again.
    Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
      I suppose all first years dreamt of being in the 5th year at high school when they first walked through the doors.
      Its quite daunting going from the biggest kids in primary back to being the little kids again.
      Thanks for moving the thread Huggie, it's really appreciated. I guess you are right, I certainly thought this, but being 15/16 was un-comparable to being 11 on many differing levels for me, so when I did get to the 5th Year/Year 11, it meant nothing in a way! Did anyone else at School - ever have any form/kind of hierarchy between the first nad 5th years too?

Comment

I was at school through the 70's and 80's and left after the 5th year in 1989. Never even heard of year 11 when I was at school. This is a 1990's thing I think.
        Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

I do remember being in awe of the 5th years when I first started but I wasn't bothered about being a 5th year once I got there. It wasn't all that.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
            I do remember being in awe of the 5th years when I first started but I wasn't bothered about being a 5th year once I got there. It wasn't all that.
            I don't know why it had such an Anti-Climax Trickyvee, it was a shame really in a way. Though I guess it is just something people think at such a time in a certain way, may-be!!

Comment

One thing I do remember thinking when we finally got to year 5, is how much older the previous year fives always looked compared to us. I suppose the kids you grew up with never seem as old as they are to us. Sounds daft but I didn't think we looked ready to be fifth years.

Actually its the same now, there's no way I think I look my age yet I must do!
              Heather

Comment

Nah you look older

Only kidding before you knack me
                The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

One thing I do remember thinking when we finally got to year 5, is how much older the previous year fives always looked compared to us. I suppose the kids you grew up with never seem as old as they are to us. Sounds daft but I didn't think we looked ready to be fifth years.

You raise some good point's here Huggie, I had not thought about it in such a way - thinking the 5th Years looked compared to younger ones, until i'd reflected about it. It's such a shame, being a 5th Year was so un-like it'd become and became sadly I feel/think.

Comment

That's true. You never realise how much you are growing yourself at the time and a year is a huge gap at school. People in the year above always seemed about 3 years older, people in 5th year looked about 10 years older to my first year eyes. When I look back at form photos it is funny to see how we all morph from cute little 11 year olds into strapping, moody teenagers in such a short time frame.
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember in one of my last assemblies there was a slide show, which included a lot of first year photos.

We all had a good laugh at how much some people had changed in 5 years without really noticing in some cases.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                        Me too Trickyvee - I can imagine for girls it'd be the same as for us lads!!

At my first Secondary we had some right "hard as nails Year 11/5th Year cases" who us "wanna-be lads" dreamt of being mates with - though of course it'd of been un-heard of/never been so - even if had a brother like a "so-called mate" in Year did who was in the 5th Year!!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                        X