Help Needed Remembering An 80s Advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed Remembering An 80s Advert

OK, this have been bugging me for years.
    There was an ad in the mid 80s which may have been for car tyres (or something else motor related)
    All I can really remember is a car driving down a road at night, possibly in a storm.
    Then the road in front turns into a monster\demon\scary thing, however, the car stops & is apparently OK.
    I thought it could be for tyres because the ad seemingly was about the car safely stopping, but I could be well off.
    I know it's quite a long shot, but this has been in my mind ever since I first saw it as a child.
    Can anybody help me ?
    Please.....................?

Re: Help Needed Remembering An 80s Advert

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
    Sorry, but I have to bump this.
    Is there really no one out there who can help me with this ?
    Honestly, this has been doing my head in for 27\28 years now.
    Pretty purlease.

Comment

Hope this helps:
      http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Wycombe Wanderer View Post
        Hope this helps:
        http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/
        Thanks, but i've pretty much tried everywhere.
        Really hope this ad turns up somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
          There was an ad in the mid 80s which may have been for car tyres (or something else motor related)
          All I can really remember is a car driving down a road at night, possibly in a storm.
          Then the road in front turns into a monster\demon\scary thing, however, the car stops & is apparently OK.
          I thought it could be for tyres because the ad seemingly was about the car safely stopping, but I could be well off.
          I know it's quite a long shot, but this has been in my mind ever since I first saw it as a child.
          Can anybody help me ?
          Please.....................?
          That sounds like an ad for Pirelli Tyres (I think) which featured music by The Doors, "Riders on the Storm"
          Am I right?

Comment

Originally posted by agfagaevart View Post
            That sounds like an ad for Pirelli Tyres (I think) which featured music by The Doors, "Riders on the Storm"
            Am I right?
            Quite possibly, I would have too young to know "Riders on the Storm" at the time, but you could hopefully be onto something.
            Like I said, I always thought it was for tyres, but it was a long while ago.
            Thanks for the tip, i'll search the video sites & if I find anything i'll post it up here.

Comment

thanks for the link,great site

Comment

I remember the advert.
                iirc, it was an advert for either 'Shell' or 'ESSO' petrol stations. (The company that used to have a Tiger in its petrol ad campaign)

The ad was very scary and i recall hearing that it had been later banned.

The car was being chased down a typical english country lane by what appeared to be a Demon on horseback.The creature was lobbing fireballs at the car,and the advert reached its conclusion with the car pulling into the safety of a Shell (or ESSO) petrol station.

Iv been looking for the ad for years on the internet,but haven't been able to find it.

Until i saw this thread,i thought i was the only person on the planet who could remember it.

The music in the advert was very similar to the main theme from the movie 'The Omen'
                Last edited by lord soth 75; 04-06-2012, 00:19.

Comment

I think this is the ad you are looking for:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qKK8CAFwzA">

Go to 0.57 and it starts.

Thanks to someone called Mitch for this who emailed me to let me know that he had found it for you!
                  Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
                  http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Comment

Wow,well done Mitch I searched everywhere for this!! Great to see it at last.
                    Heather

Comment

And to see Tim Healy and Denise Welch in possibly their first acting role together is quite touching, I wonder if the little one in the back is their child ?
                      When I Was Good No One Remembered, When I Was Bad No One Forgot

Comment

Originally posted by CitizenKeyne View Post
                        And to see Tim Healy and Denise Welch in possibly their first acting role together is quite touching, I wonder if the little one in the back is their child ?
                        She had her first child in 1991 so it is too early to be their tiddler.
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Oh gawd I cannot stand that woman...

Comment

Originally posted by remember View Post
                            Wow, massive thanks for this Remember & Mitch.
                            It's been in my mind for more than 25 years, and now i've finally seen it again.
                            I should have known that DYR would do the do for me.
                            Cheers - & drive safely !

Comment

Originally posted by remember View Post

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qKK8CAFwzA">

Go to 0.57 and it starts.

Thanks to someone called Mitch for this who emailed me to let me know that he had found it for you!

That's the shorter edited version of the advert.
                              The original version was banned due to complaints about it being too scary,and it aired years earlier in around 1982 or 83.
                              The longer version of the ad had a Demonic face comming towards the car windscreen,and when the dude slams on the breaks the car found itself in the safety of a petrol station forecourt.
                              This version here was edited and they removed the demonic face and replaced it with the large truck.
                              The original MUST be out there somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X