Heinz BIG SOUP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heinz BIG SOUP

Remember these? They still taste rank...and the chunks are smaller...for a long can they fill it with that weird sauce these days as opposed to bits of veg and meat...I mistakenly bought one a while back as Heinz do a range called 'BIG SOUP' in microwaveable containers...same colours as the BIG SOUP cans labelling as well. The microwaveable range used to be known as 'TASTE OF HOME', and they are really lush, still are barring the name change. The Beef Stew with Dumplings is the best with bits of fresh cut crusty white bread and butter or margarine...yum. I bought the can thinking the microwaveable version was inside it as well...wrong. I added some 'Delish' Barbados Hot Pepper Sauce, my neighbour Dom gives it to me, cannot get it over here unless from a West Indian shop...

Funny how a microwaveable comestible made in Germany tastes better than the canned rubbish Heinz churn out. Thankfully, their cream of tomato soup still tastes good.

Re: Heinz BIG SOUP

I've always been partial to a big soup in an emergency but I'm not keen on tinned soups in general, especially Heinz. They seem too bland and all have that strange gloopy consistency that is neither one thing or another. I prefer to make my own soups.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

I hate big soups. Whenever I went around to my Grans she'd give me a big soup. It wasn't really the fact that is had veg in as the fact that it had peas in. I hate peas, eating them makes me feel ill. There's so much of it too. I much prefer the tomato or chicken. I used to like oxtail heinz soups but they are rank now, basically just water beef flavour. The only soup they managed to keep 100% as it was is mulligatawny.

Comment

I can remember the Big Soups being really good when they first appeared with lots of meat and flavour.But tried one last year and did not think much of it.Most of the good stuff was gone replaced by carrot which appeared to be the main ingrediant and taste.I hate carrots.blah!

Comment

I loved Big Soups in the 80s, but it really doesn't taste the same these days.
          My favourite was straight up Heinz beef soup, but that disappeared a few years back, around the time of a BSE scare i believe.

Comment

Its amazing how bad food is now. Don't the makes know we can taste the blandness and lack of quality?!

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
              Its amazing how bad food is now. Don't the makes know we can taste the blandness and lack of quality?!
              Totally agree. I know it's slightly off topic but I had a tin of Heinz 'Pea & Ham' soup at the weekend. I was feeling nostalgic so I thought I'd have something I lovd as a kid. It was nothing like it used to be! It had bits of carrot in. It never used to! It tasted strange too. Not at all how it was. I know Heinz would say its 'improved' the years. I have to say it most certainly hasn't.
              Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Heinz should read this forum.

They probably make a lot of the own brand stuff for other supermarkets, apart from Waitrose as they own their own farms etc, but you usually find the own brand stuff tastes better from certain supermarkets - M & S being one of them. Shame really, remember that post about Heinz Spagetti I did? Just as bad, and watery now...I also reckon Heinz's foreign stuff made in the US etc probably tastes better...

Comment

Opened my kitchen cupboards last night to find my wife has just bought me a can of Big Soup!

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                  It's probably to do with the fact that the don't put in all the artificial additives and probably cut the amount of salt in these things.
                  sigpic

Comment

Heinz rely on the strength of their brand name to make money but the quality is not good. I rarely buy brand names now as I find unbranded goods to be much better value. They can be very good quality too. I'm sounding like my mother
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

I have to agree.Quite often supermarket own brands are fantastic value for money and the taste is often much better then some of the big names out there.The only heinz soup I still eat at times is the tomato soup.But it's the only one.
                      Reading this thread also got me thinking about many other products that don't taste the same in some cases don't even look the same quality wise as they used to.The changes are quite vast in many cases to what I remember and what they are like now.

Comment

I've noticed food made by the same multi nationals when your abroad tastes much better. Nestle for one really make good foods abroad...guess we in the UK really do get dog poo versions....

Well said Tricky and Battyrat.

Comment

Kitkat here tastes exactly the same as the UK one. It's the only food item that does taste the same, even stuff like crisps and pop taste different.

Comment

Wheres 'here' Sly?

Comment

USA.

It's unusual because even though we share a lot in common with certain foodstuffs, hardly any of them taste the same. For instance, I can't drink Dr.Pepper in the UK, it's just a horrible sugary mess. Here it's really juicy and fruity. On the other hand you have ritz crackers which feel like cheap knock offs compared to the ones in the UK. A bit like when you buy supermarket brand cornflakes over the Kelloggs ones. They just taste wrong.

I noticed that they had Rolo's here last time I marched my way through Walmart, I think I'll grab some next time and do a taste comparison.

Comment

Working...
                              X