My big idea - BBC retro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My big idea - BBC retro

Ok I know we have got the likes of Gold etc on the TV, but wouldn't it be great to have a BBC retro channel?
    Not just showing comedy shows like Gold but all sorts of shows from kids shows through to soaps etc.

In fact my dream channel (although I do realise that the man hours in getting all the shows together would probably be too much for the BBC to consider it) would be for BBC retro to start rebroadcasting from a given date and repeat everything so for example today is the 21 March 2012, so BBC retro would start repeating the whole of 21 March 1972 TV's listing as it was including the news and just keep rolling forward. (If that fits in with leap years etc).
    In fact why not stop there, why not a BBC retro 1 and a BBC retro 2!

What do you think
    sigpic

Re: My big idea - BBC retro

That is a brillant idea paulos i would like if they put on steptoe and son back on and the rag trade .

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

It sounds great but a fair amount of programming as late as the 1980s has been wiped so it wouldn't really be possible.

BBC4 are screening 1 full editions of Top Of The Pops from roughly 35 years before so thats heading in the same direction.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

what a corker idea mate.
        although we do have uk gold and challenge which show loads of old shows.
        but an actual retro channel i can feel a temperature coming on a huge wave of excitement rushing through my loins at this thought.

but the beeb would never do a thing like this how much would it cost to get 1 or two new channels for starters.

it members had old recordings of shows,comedy,sci fi etc and somwehow we started our iown channel nowe that would be ace.

but i douibt we would have time to do it.

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
        Ok I know we have got the likes of Gold etc on the TV, but wouldn't it be great to have a BBC retro channel?
        Not just showing comedy shows like Gold but all sorts of shows from kids shows through to soaps etc.

In fact my dream channel (although I do realise that the man hours in getting all the shows together would probably be too much for the BBC to consider it) would be for BBC retro to start rebroadcasting from a given date and repeat everything so for example today is the 21 March 2012, so BBC retro would start repeating the whole of 21 March 1972 TV's listing as it was including the news and just keep rolling forward. (If that fits in with leap years etc).
        In fact why not stop there, why not a BBC retro 1 and a BBC retro 2!

What do you think
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I've had many thoughts about this too. As a lot of digital channels have "Channel+1" to repeat the show than happened 1 hour ago it'd be great to have "Channel+10(years) etc to see what broadcast this time on BBC1 on 21/3/2002 or 21/3/1992 , 21/3/1982 etc. The thing that would make it unique would be that the ad's , idents and news etc would all be there literally like as though you'd found an old video tape that had recorded it. It'd really bring you back a lot better than simply having an old show on DVD etc

Comment

I used to own a company (read: one man band) releasing vintage TV on DVD, and my breakdown of vintage tv availability for this type of project is:
            50% is in an archive, acquired in a takeover, the owners don't know they own it and wont field enquiries about it
            30% is available, but the companies wont licence *in case* its a big seller and their shareholders ask why they didnt release it themselves
            15% has been released
            3% unlikely to make a return
            1.5% owners want £50,000+
            0.5% "what I managed to get"

This is why Network have done so well, they can deal on the £50,000+ stuff- a lot of which they get on limited time deals, hence them deleting progs within 12 months sometimes. A few unscrupulous companies release 20% of their stock online, delete the dvd, wait six months, then gradually sell the remaining stock on ebay at inflated 'no other option to own it' prices.

On the other hand, i've never found anyone litigated against for 'non distributable' things like this channel you're proposing- although a 'cease and desist' (usually from a music company about incidental music in a prog) will arrive sooner or later.
            I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

I'd already realised it would never work due to the work involved and the fact that many programmes were never kept and I'd never endorse people broadcasting without a licence, it was just my dream channel.

I'd just love to see TV in that format again, where children's TV goes through to the evening news without some half baked game show on at 5.30 and part of the morning dedicated to schools & colleges and also where every programme broadcast during the day didn't involve auctions, houses or both! (Having said that I'm at work during the day anyway!)
              sigpic

Comment

The idsea sounds great and if it could happen with full TV from each day starting from a certain date would be beyond amazing. Sadly I don't think it will ever happen ... but you an wish though.

It'd love to see old School's and College programes that were on on a Morning,those day's were such an highlight for me if I was off School or they were still on when my area was off School, but others was'nt and they were on BBC2 , C4 etc. Brilliant day's of TV indeed, that might never be again, repeated or not I feel sadly. Happy day's and times I recall with fondness
                Last edited by 80sChav; 23-03-2012, 17:12.

Comment

yes it would be great iof channels like that where created.
                  buti doubt the beeb would do it.[
                  they would consider t a waste of time im sure.Q
                  they would think no one would want to see those old shows.

well i beg to differ and im sure many here agree.
                  and i know it would be a massive success.

at least we can be proud to grown up in that era and we have many great memories.
                  also u can watch many things on youtube.U

righty im off to watch pebble mill.O

TE=80sChav;164418]The idsea sounds great and if it could happen with full TV from each day starting from a certain date would be beyond amazing. Sadly I don't think it will ever happen ... but you an wish though.

It'd love to see old School's and College programes that were on on a Morning,those day's were such an highlight for me if I was off School or they were still on when my area was off School, but others was'nt and they were on BBC2 , C4 etc. Brilliant day's of TV indeed, that might never be again, repeated or not I feel sadly. Happy day's and times I recall with fondness [/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                    I'd love to see old School's and College programes that were on on a Morning,those day's were such an highlight for me if I was off School or they were still on when my area was off School, but others was'nt and they were on BBC2 , C4 etc. Brilliant day's of TV indeed
                    I've been lucky enough to be able to pick up a few Programmes for Schools & Colleges recently, Experiment in particular is minimilistically (if that is a word) brilliant.

Back on thread, I have also had the same idea swimming around in my head for a few years now.
                    It would obviously be difficult with copyright issues & programmes being wiped\thrown away, but if it could happen it would be amazing.

Comment

it would be gereat if it came reality.

it wouild give kids of today who never saw those shows a real insight into what there parents watched as kids.
                      and for us older members a real nostalgia trip.
                      from what memberts have said some of there kids love the old shows.

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
                      I've been lucky enough to be able to pick up a few Programmes for Schools & Colleges recently, Experiment in particular is minimilistically (if that is a word) brilliant.

Back on thread, I have also had the same idea swimming around in my head for a few years now.
                      It would obviously be difficult with copyright issues & programmes being wiped\thrown away, but if it could happen it would be amazing.

Comment

That's a brilliant idea and something which I think would really work as people are surely getting fed up of reality and so called celebrity programmes,even if BBC 4 showed a 1970's television night every now and again it would be fantastic viewing.
                        I would like to open up a cinema showing only 1960's,1970's and 1980's films as the quality of movies has gone right down the pan and I'm sure people would flock to see some proper well thought well acted and free from CGI films.

Comment

My brother and I had the exact same thought the other day. Having a channel that broadcast a whole day's output from 30 years ago. Would be awesome, but I can't see it happening.

Comment

It is a good idea and similar thoughts have came to my mind except there'd probably still be too much yank stuff on (I've an album on which the back cover has a TV guide from the early 80's, infact the day after David Pleat legged it across Maine rd Manchester city after his Luton Town had avopided relegation what with MotD being on a Sunday back then).

Also with BBC4 doing TotP from 1977 at the minute I'm sure they could take 30mins from the schedule to play one weeks TotP per night so one year would take up 52 days

Comment

Working...
                            X