Arcade Emulators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arcade Emulators

While it's great to have an orginal computer running, I found it's tricky to keep one conected up to a TV all the time. Compaired to a modern games console the need a lot of space & often have lots of wires to get tangled.

I found it best to get one out over a bank holiday, or other long period of free time.

Also I was always worried about damaging the original disks & tapes when loading them up. Also some older computers can get start acting up when in use for a long time.

I have a BBC Micro emulator installed on my PC, & are thinking about getting a Commodore 64 one. I did find a SID player to play some music from the games.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
      ii totally agree buddy i aint got any old consoles left so have to play emulators lol
      the only old school console i don't emulate is the Sega Saturn, cos the real thing is better, so i have one, along with all the rare RPGs on it.

Comment

cheers mate.

never knew it was that good.

id rather have the original game i like a cluttered house.

Originally posted by Moondog View Post
        - being able to save anywhere you want, even on games that normally didn't have saves.

- being able to take screenshots.

- having hundreds of games taking up only virtual space, instead of cluttering up your home.

- frameskipping past long-winded RPG stories that you've seen a hundred times.

- no chance of your old school console breaking down and having to buy another one.

as for MAME i think it's pretty obvious why people emulate it, are you gonna buy the arcade cabinet for every game you want? lol
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

the only old school console i don't emulate is the Sega Saturn, cos the real thing is better, so i have one, along with all the rare RPGs on it.
          Genuinely jealous. I hate JRPG's but there's so many good games on the Saturn that you just cannot get elsewhere. I wished they'd remake Burning Rangers and Die Hard Arcade for Steam or XBLA. That would make my day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
            Genuinely jealous. I hate JRPG's but there's so many good games on the Saturn that you just cannot get elsewhere. I wished they'd remake Burning Rangers and Die Hard Arcade for Steam or XBLA. That would make my day.
            i have Die Hard Arcade lol, great game.

Burning Rangers is on my list, not worried about the price of it cos i know its nothing close the £150 i just spent on Panzer Dragoon Saga lol

Comment

Saturn has the best version of Bomberman too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                Saturn has the best version of Bomberman too.
                i was looking at Saturn Bomberman, is it even better than the Megadrive one Mega Bomberman, that one was ace?

Comment

It is the best version.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                    I did find a SID player to play some music from the games.
                    Great piece of software that, some of those tunes are incredible, Arkanoid being one of my favourites.

the only old school console i don't emulate is the Sega Saturn, cos the real thing is better
                    Actually Saturn Emulation is pretty good these days, I use SSF and can play most games (almost) perfectly.

£150 i just spent on Panzer Dragoon Saga lol
                    Ouch,
                    I was lucky enough to get it about a year or so after release for about £20 or £30.

i was looking at Saturn Bomberman, is it even better than the Megadrive one Mega Bomberman, that one was ace?
                    Yep, the Megadrive version is very good, but the Saturn version is definitely the best i've ever played. Awesome game.

Comment

locved bomberman but never had either of these consoles.
                      if i remember right there was one for the snes which i played.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
                        Actually Saturn Emulation is pretty good these days, I use SSF and can play most games (almost) perfectly.
                        the last i heard it was better but still lousy unless you had a kick *** PC, i haven't emulated Saturn since the days of GiriGiri though, i just settled for the real thing in the end, and still prefer owning the original games, sure i paid a fair whack for them all (with PSD being the most expensive game i've ever bought), but at least they won't depreciate in value

Comment

Used Mame quite a bit, love playing all the old arcade games I remember when I was a nipper, think it would probably be a better experience if it is used within a mame cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by spuggybridge View Post
                            think it would probably be a better experience if it is used within a mame cabinet
                            It definitely is Spuggy.
                            I've had my cabinet for about 7 or 8 years now, and i've absolutely got my moneys worth, best purchase i've ever made. (It was a crazy bargain though).
                            Although, if you don't have the space for a full size cabinet, the next best thing is............
                            Hook your PC up to your TV, find a nice frontend (like Hyperspin), and get yourself one of these. (or similar).

Like I said, if a cabinet is out of the question, you can still enjoy all those arcade classics the way they were meant to be played in your own home.

Me, I went for both options.
                            Arcade Super Street Fighter IV is incredible on my 50inch plasma.
                            Anyone else out there playing the Taito Type X games ?

Comment

Mame's great but I was most happy with getting a Nintendo64 emulator working on my old Dell for Mario Kart and Ocarina of Time. Though with Zelda I somehow lost a saved game around the Fire or Water temple. It could be that I was using the in-game save function rather than a saved state but I don't recall, and the idea of losing all that playing time again kinda puts me off.

BUT...at least Mario Kart works fine.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2431.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	260369

My X-Arcade is currently undergoing yet another revamp. Losing the second joystick & replacing with button or maybe a spinner or trackball

Comment

Working...
                                X