Re: Comic names from yesteryear

Little star.
    Disneyland.
    2000AD
    warlord
    commando
    Judy
    Beezer
    One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

OK, offhand:
      Dandy, Beano, Magic, Topper, Beezer, Sparky, Cracker, Buzz, Hoot, Nutty (all DC Thomson humour, with the Dandy still the longest running comic in the world), Hotspur, Rover, Wizard, Adventure, Skipper, Victor, Warlord, Bullet, Target, Commando (DC Thomson war/adventure titles, only Commando is still going), Bunty, Judy, Tracey, Mandy, Romeo, Spellbound, Diana, Princess, Tina (DC Thomson girls titles), Valiant, Lion, Vulcan, Battle, Star Lord, 2000AD, Target, Hurricane, Tornado, Crisis, Revolver, Scorcher, new Eagle, Action, Speed, Tiger, Scream, Judge Dredd Megazine, Diceman, Roy of the Rovers (IPC-Fleetway sports/adventure/war/SF titles, only 2000AD and the Judge Dredd Megazine still going), Jackie, Misty (IPC girls titles), Terrific, Fantastic, Smash, Pow, Wham (Odhams 'Power Comics'), TV Comic, TV21, Look-In (miscellaneous TV related), Creepy Worlds, Tales of Suspense, Astounding Tales and about a dozen more I can't remember (Alan Class), Eagle, Swift, Robin, Girl (Hulton Press), Buster, Whizzer & Chips, Whoopee, Cor, Monster Fun, Krazy, Cheeky, Oink, Wow, School Fun, Shiver & Shake, Knockout (IPC humour), Spider-Man Comics Weekly, Mighty World of Marvel, Savage Sword of Conan, The Titans, The Superheroes, Planet of the Apes, Dracula Lives, The Avengers, Star Wars Weekly, Dr Who Weekly/Monthly, Fury, Complete Fantastic Four, Captain Britain, Hulk Comic, Forces in Combat, Future Tense, Valour, Marvel Action, Marvel Super Adventure, Marvel Team-Up, Marvel Superheroes, Rampage Weekly, Rampage Monthly, Chiller, Blockbuster, Savage Action, Monster Monthly, The Daredevils, Transformers, Zoids, Secret Wars, Strip!, Thor & X-Men, Star Heroes, Young Romance, Scooby Doo, Rupert Weekly, Worzel Gummidge, Frantic, Marvel Madhouse, Overkill and about thirty more with nearly identical names to some of those already mentioned (Marvel UK), Mickey Mouse Weekly (Longacre), Tarzan (Williams Publishing), Disney Time, Harold Hare, Puck, Judge, Comic Cuts, Illustrated Chips, Tiger Tim, Lot o' Fun, Picture Fun, Comic Life, The Rainbow (miscellaneous nursery comics) and Warrior (Quality Comics). Phew.

I'll try and think of some more later.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidan View Post
        We'll do the adventure ones first, I'll kick off with :
        Bullet
        Hotspur
        Victor
        2000AD
        Scorcher
        Eagle
        Battle
        I had the Victor on subscription for years!

Alf Tupper - the tough of the track. Middle distance runner who never trained, always ate fish and chips immediately before races and more often than not came from the back of the field to win!

Anybody remember Billy's Boots? Billy was a brilliant footballer if he wore these old boots (originally owned by a mythical 'famous' footballer from years before) and useless without 'em.

Brilliant!
        Ian D

Comment

Misty
          One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

Originally posted by Ian D View Post

Alf Tupper - the tough of the track. Middle distance runner who never trained, always ate fish and chips immediately before races and more often than not came from the back of the field to win!

Anybody remember Billy's Boots? Billy was a brilliant footballer if he wore these old boots (originally owned by a mythical 'famous' footballer from years before) and useless without 'em.

Brilliant!

Only this week I was reading an Alf Tupper story...where some no-good tries to nobble a greyhound with some steak dosed with sleeping powder. Only, feeling famished, Alf polishes off the steak himself.....makes his run later that day interesting..he wins of course!

Funny how the early Victors (60's) were full of plenty of non-WW2 stuff.... strips about safaris, climbers (Robin Carew...aka Robinson Crusoe!), runners, boxers, adventurers etc ...and contained quite a few word-only stories ie no artwork/strip to go with them

As a 70's kid, I started on Shiver & Shake, then went to Warlord, and Battle (my favourite) from issue 1 onwards, March 1975

In the early 70's a neighbour used to leave me a huge pile of comics outside the back door every now & then...still gives me a warm glow when I remember that feeling of seeing the huge bundle before me!
            Topper, Beezer, Victor...all sorts in it.
            Kids nowadays don't know what they're missing!
            sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by Ian D View Post

Brilliant!
              Ah, yes-the legendary Deadshot Keen's boots, as I recall? Though I couldn't quite stop myself disliking Billy. Talentless little berk, trading on someone else's skills! And how many times did his old granny have to absent mindedly chuck his magic boots away before he took the hint and stopped leaving them lying around? It happened at least once a year!

Comment

I had a joke published in whizzer and chips,must have been about 1978, got a £5 p o, lot of money then, (lot of $ for a **** joke)
                "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

BATTLE ACTION FORCE was my favourite.....My old man would buy me a copy weekly....loved it! 26p, printed on newsprint.....ahhhh! Halcyon days indeed....

Comment

Warlord medals

Comment

I used to get Spike but after a while it merged with Champ. It was never the same :cry:
                      You know you're getting old when Dr. Who starts looking young!

Comment

Spike, you say?

Comment

Spike Issue One

Comment

Ahh yes I remember getting issue one and playing with the free plane. Had some great stories in it, well I thought so at the time.
                            You know you're getting old when Dr. Who starts looking young!

Comment

I remember 'June and School friend', Beezer, Sparky, Mandy

Comment

I used to get Action(Just for Hook Jaw,the killer shark)
                                Buster and monster fun
                                Cheeky
                                Krazy

Comment

Working...
                                X