No announcement yet.

British Comic Characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol maybe because i'm sad me old mate Rab, though still got a lot of my annuals, from my youth, and added to that from EBay. But comics and other stuff, music included, films and tv series were way better back then. Sooner they invent the time machine the better, then I'll make a mint on EBay and retire, or my kids will spend it first.

Comment

boys and girls!
      what about union jack jackson from those wonderful commando comics / books

Comment

Hi Steve..

and his mate..Sean O Bannian and 'Sarge' Lonnigan..lol..

'share this out amongst you Nips!' (when throwing a grenade) then..'booooom..Aieeeeeeee!!!'
        'Go Join your ancestors, tojo!!!'
        'die son of Nippon!!!!'
        'Banzai Yankee Pig Dog!!!'

lol lol.. not very politically Correct were we in the 1970's..lol.. my Step Fathers Brother was in the Chindits and he was killed when his Jeep went over a mine in Burma During the War..He never forgave the Japanese as his brother was there fighting them and wouldnt buy any Japanese Cars or products, i remember that.. he even hated when War films were on and the Japs were in them!!!

loved Union Jack Jackson..great stories...;0)

All the best...

Rab ;0)

Fife
        Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by steve edwards
          boys and girls!
          what about union jack jackson from those wonderful commando comics / books
          He was in Warlord me thinks Steve, a kool comic.

What other war characters/stories does anyone recall :

Major Easy
          Rat Pack
          Captain Hurricane
          Charlies War
          Cadman
          Braddock

And many many more besides, just a few off the top of my head.

Comment

Hi Oggy...

I mind a few mate..

Johnny Red - Hurricane Pilot that Flew For the russians..
            Cpt.Cadman - ww1 British Officer who was actually a Coward and his Batman, Sgt.Tom Smith
            Braddock V.C. - R.A.F. Pilot
            'Big Willi' Kastner - Afrika Korps Officer
            Sgt.Ryker - Black G.I. Sergeant
            Kurt Stalhmann - Luftwaffe Pilot who flew 'Iron Annie' A JU52 Plane
            Karl Schafft - Warlords Arch Enemy
            Tommy Atkins - British Infantryman
            Sniper Dennison - British Sniper
            Hawkeye - German Sniper
            Joe Bones the Human fly - British Commando
            Heinz Falken, commander of Kampfgruppe Falken, German Penal Battalion, very Sven Hassel..lol..
            Lord Peter Flint - Warlord to us!!
            Killer Kane - R.A.F. Pilot
            Kennedy R.N. - British Naval Officer

Stories

Viper Squad - Brits Fighting the Japanese
            Secret Files of the Lufwaffe - Great stories
            Secret Files of the Gestapo - Ditto
            Wolverine - Yank Tank Busting Squadron
            Harrier Squadron - set in ww3 against the Russian Warsaw pact
            Captain Cassidy - American Pilot During the Korean War
            The Phantom Flyer - Great Story about a Ghostly R.A.F. Pilot who comes out of the sun to shoot Jerry down during the Battle of Britain..
            Fighting Condor - German Lufwaffe story, very well written
            The Best of enemies - Two soldiers on opposing sides end up fighting a common enemy, the Chinese During the Korean War

all the best...

Rab ;0)

Fife
            Scotland

Comment

Kool Rab, I loved Joe Bones, he was like an army version of Alf Tupper : Tough of the Track, comics were way better in those days, those the ink rubbed off on your fingers, I rememver my dad buying me the then Marvel reprints the Mighty World of Marvel, the Fantastic Four, Spiderman,bright the first superheroes I'd read I guess, but then the british comics seemed to invent heroes themselves, especially maybe the Hotspur charcters Nick Jolly, a highwayman in the present on a robotic horse, or the Black Sapper who borrowed throught hte ground in his Mole, Red Star Robinson and his robot butler Mr Thrice and their flyingvintage car, and more besides.

Comment

Yes, I remember Fireball! Saving up my pocket money to buy the postal order, then patiently waiting for the pendant and survival guide. I also recall one of the first editions of 2000AD came with a cardboard wallet of some kind, can't remember the details. Didn't 2000AD have a story that was loosely based on the film Rollerball? Can't remember the name...

Prior to those comics, Whizzer and Chips, the Beano and the Dandy were what I spent my pocket money on (only one comic out of those of course, 7p didn't go very far back then). Loved the Bash Street Kids. I also seem to remember that there was a comic based on 'Plug' from the Bash Street Kids. The first couple of issues came with a Plug mask, and a plastic device with a mirror and a deck of cards with different pictures. you used to insert the card into the device and look at the card plus reflection (Harry Worth style??)

Oh, I also remember 'Cheeky Weekly'. Kenny Everett did the voiceover for the TV ad, and the first few gifts were joke items like a squirting ring and a plate wobbler.
                Cheers

Armchair

Comment

Fireball,whats that then or what was that? Yeah 2000AD had a story similar, well a future sports one called Harlem Heroes.

Comment

Hi Oggy,

Now, trying to Remember..'Fireball' was the secret agent from 'Bullet' Comic in the late 1970's later they merged with Warlord and 'fireball' was revealed to be Lord Peter Flints Nephew!! lol...I remember I used to love the free gifts with Warlord and Victor, I remember the toy Grenade on a plastic necklace thing, the silver plastic snap together planes, the plastic guns you got as free gifts and my favourite, the stick down War medals and the letraset style card thing you put them into...loved all those..I remeber vaguely free gifts with 2000ad and things like free sweets and frisbees with other comics and was it a Spud Gun with 'Plug' comic..I do remember that one!! lol..vaguely remembered 'Cheeky' comic as Kenny Everett was ace!!!

My favourite freebee was an Iron on Tshirt transfer of 'Hookjaw' the Shark from Action Comic..it was so cool.. I never used it but just used to look at it from time to time..wonder what happened to it? Does anyone else remember the ill fated 'Scream Comic' in the early 80's? Horror strips and some that were very gory and violent..loved that!!!

all the best...

Rab ;0)
                    Last edited by OrangeCremolaFoam; 05-12-2006, 01:58.

Comment

Action was way kool , and yep Scream was spooky and kool too, there's a thread for Scream someplace on/in here a bit ago though now. The free gifts were always kool, or so we thought in our youth, with 2000AD they gave a free sticker sheet of MACH1's arm, he was a rip of the Bionic man, and a replic of Judge Dredd's badge which i still have, the plastic guns were fun too. How about we start a comic's thread, character's, titles etc?

Comment

Hi Oggy

well remembered mate..sounds like a good idea the old comics thread..you have refreshed my memory of the Hotspur which I bought on rare occassions as well as Victor and Warlord..Nick Jolly and certainly the Black Sapper ring a bell..lol.. was it the film 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' (or possibly to the Earths Core?) that had a very similar tunneling machine to the Black Sappers? lol..I loved 2000AD too and remember a story, about a race of Lizard Aliens invading Earth (very like 'V' but before that!)..think they were called 'the Droons'? We used to play at the Droons versus the Army on Go Carts at our nearby Garages sometime in the late 1970's..lol..

Well remembered about the free gifts (and mach..ive forgotten him!)..thats also sounds like an interesting thread mate..;0)..Was it 'Scream' comic or 'Action' that had the ultra violent 'Hells Highway' strip and an elevator that took 'bad people' to the 13th floor in this building (which didnt actually exist!) then killed then nastily? lol.. bet you remember Oggy!!!

all the best...

Rab ;0)

Comment

Hi Rab

The film i think you're on about is At the Earths Core, with Doug McClure and Peter Cushing, kool film, the comic strip was called Invasion I think. 13th floor was in Scream I think, not sure about Hells Highway. I'll start a link then mate, hope me and you and others can rejog our memories.

Comment

Hi Oggy!!!

Nice one mate..cheers!!!

regards

Rab ;0)

Comment

Kindest regards kind Sir.

Comment

What became of Cheeky, he looked like the Next Big Thing when he left Krazy & had a comic of his own ?
                                Strange too that the Beano and Dandy outlived all the glossier and 'cooler' IPC comics like Buster, Whizzer&Chips, Whoopee, etc.
                                Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

Working...
                                X