Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think Cheeky just fizzled out.....

Comment

I used to love Krazy comic, the forerunner of Cheeky where he was part of the Krazy gang.

Comment

Re: British Comic Characters

Hi
        just caught up with this thread which has brought back some memories. I actually have many of my old annuals Victor hotspur valiant etc in the attic must look them out for some of the characters mentioned.
        I also noted on the news last week an article on some guys who have invented a "submarine" which swims & acts like a dolphin. Wasn't there a character in one of these old comics with a similar machine?( and I dont mean Billy the Fish)
        The eyes have it!
        sigpic

Comment

Yep not sure what, who that was though, sound like one of the many British heroes we had:
          1. Black Sapper - Man in a Mole, drilling machine.
          2. Nick Jolly - Highwayman brough into the present with a robotic horse.
          3. Red Star Robinson and his robotic butler Mr Thrice.
          4. Captain Hornet.

Comment

Spring Heeled Jack- kid with springs in his heels to get him out of trouble......still pondering on the metal fish though???? it will come
            The eyes have it!
            sigpic

Comment

The metal fish rings a bell, and can even picture it too, but not what it was called.

Comment

Hi - I am new to this - found you today whilst searching for an old memory. Can anyone remember a strip about little torpedoe shaped robots (red or blue) controlled by purple aliens who had invaded Britain. They had paralysing ray guns and were called something like vanaks, or vanarks or something like that - and may have been in Sparky in the 60's?

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeCremolaFoam View Post
                  ok guys..

Also..'General Jumbos Army'..a wee biy with an Army of Toy soldiers and aradio controlled box thing that he used to control them to do cool things!! I SO wanted to be him when I was wee but..my Airfix and Timpo soldiers never moved..awwww! ;0(..

Rab
                  like you I soooo loved that strip..didn't his granfather invent them for him?
                  I remember the destroyer he made..the lad could sit in it amidships & take it out on the water..what comic was he in now?????
                  sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

I started our on 'Shiver & Shake' in the early 70's, then in March 1975 'Battle' came out & I was hooked.

Johny Red
                    The Sarge
                    Darkies Mob
                    Rat Pack
                    and, the greatest strip ever (IMHO)...Charley's War..stunning artwork, wonderful historically accurate stories

here's a link...
                    http://fanboy.frothersunite.com/battle.html
                    (also has links to other sites incl 'Action'...Hookjaw, Kids Rule OK...before the censors got hold of it!; and 'Scream' )
                    sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Could never get into war,battle or horror comics meself - graduated straight from the Dandy to Roy of the Rovers.
                      Back in '70s rural Ireland, comics weren't easy to come by. only when my parents went to town did I get one & that'd be every few weeks. Cousins of mine who lived in far-away exotic Dublin would call every summer, bringing with them months' worth of Whizzer&Chips, Buster (that's how I developed a crush on Disappearing Trix), Hotspur, etc.
                      A comic that seemed way ahead of its time - a Viz for 70s kids - & got nowhere was Krazy. Far racier than its competitors , as was Cheeky, a spin-off.

Comment

Originally posted by amnesiac5 View Post
                        Hi - I am new to this - found you today whilst searching for an old memory. Can anyone remember a strip about little torpedoe shaped robots (red or blue) controlled by purple aliens who had invaded Britain. They had paralysing ray guns and were called something like vanaks, or vanarks or something like that - and may have been in Sparky in the 60's?
                        That was "The year of the Vanaks" from Sparky comic circa 65/66

Comment

Thanks Daz, for confiming this strip did exist, although a couple of years earlier than I remember, also that it was Sparky, and I got the name of the aliens right, Vanaks. Does anyone know if they ever reprinted "Year of the Vanaks" anywhere else again, or is it available in reprint anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Oggy View Post
                            Victor was kool, used to love the summer specials and the annuals, which I still have a large collection of, you had your moneys worth in those days comics aren't quite the same nowadays are they.
                            1. Hostspur -The Black Sapper, Red Star Robinson, Nick Jolly Highwayman, King Cobra
                            2. Hornet - Captain Hornet, Jonah
                            3. Lion - Robot Archie, Zip Nolan
                            4. Rover - Though not sure what character it had, but have an annual
                            5. Victor - Tough of the track, Alf Tupper, Morgan the mighty, Wilson
                            6. Tiger - Skid Solo, Johnny Cougar
                            7. Valiant - Captain Hurricane, Adam Eterno, Janus Stark, The Steel Claw, Spellbinder
                            8. Warlord - Union Jack Jackson
                            9. Scorcher - Billys Boots, Hot Shot Hamish
                            10. Jet - Fish Boy
                            11. Tornado - Wolfie Smith
                            12. 2000AD - Judge Dredd, Mach One, DR and Quinch
                            13. Starlord - Strontium Dog
                            14. Wizard -Again another I recall, but sure of characters or stories
                            15. Speed - Deathwish
                            Any more comics, and characters to match? How about someone remembering Rover or Wizard?
                            I used to get Scorcher every week. Not sure I remember Hot Shot Hamish, but Billy's Boots was about the lad who's talent came from wearing a pair of old boots that had once belonged to a famous old footballer. Also "Lags Eleven" about a prison football team and their nemesis warder "Bad News Benson" (Gawd, it all comes back to you, doesn't it?) and 2 separate strips about brothers playing for local rival teams; I think one was called "Jimmy of City" and the other something like "Jack of United" Also something like "Bobby of the Blues" who played for fashionable Everpool. Last but not least there was a text-only serial called (I think) "Goalkeepers Are Different" which I thought was clever in the way it mixed fact with fiction. Visit to eBay now, I reckon...
                            Still crazy after all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidan View Post
                              Puss'n'Boots
                              the Sparky People
                              Klanky
                              ++Spunky ( I kid you not !) and the Spider++

Good old Spunky lol

Was he Beano or Dandy?
                              sigpic
                              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

The Wolf of Kabul. I think he might have started out in The Wizard in text stories then later became a comic strip in Hornet or The Victor. He had a side-kick in the shape of a big Indian guy who carried a cricket bat and was prone to bashingbaddies over the head with it--he called his bat Clicky-Ba.

Kelly's Eye--in The Victor? He wore a jewel around his neck which gave him invulnerability or something like that.

Al Rico in Action's Death Game 1999. He was a Spinball player who got splattered and came back as a brain-damaged zombie.

Can't recall the character name or strip title but he had a midget submarine in the shape of a floating sea mine and it was set in WWII.

Crazy Luigi in Action's The Running Man. He lived up to his name and carried a hatchet which he used to chop off a guy's hand in one strip.

Comment

Working...
                                X