British Comic Characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: British Comic Characters

In possibly Warlord there was a character who was an RAF pilot but his plane had lost its wings and he would drive it across the North African desert.

General Jumbo, who had an army of miniature robot soldiers he controlled with a remote controller on his arm--can't remember the comic.

Comment

I wonder if it's been mentioned, there was a Three Bears comic that was very sarky I guess you'd say. The creator of it died not too long ago. I thought what I saw of it was great and would buy a collection of them. Does anyone know these bears? Nothing like Rupert.

I got the Doctor Who Weekly comic from the first issues and kept them for awhile (including rub-on transfers with the first few) but then I got rid of them thinking I was too old for comics! I still have the Monthly issues that had less comics and more fact and old episodes stuff in a box someplace though (up to when Colin Baker started and I'd went off the whole thing then). They were British made comics in them though.

We had a combo paper and sweets shop here in Victoria that had some British comic papers, '70s-early '80s. Lots of Army and Footballer things and then a lot of zany Dennis The Menace and Beano types, but the oddest ones to me were all the ones with various girl's names for titles as there seemed to be so many. I was very disappointed there wasn't one with my name. Remember Tracy and Penelope and Judy I think. And another odd thing was the 'now combined with' ones with two titles. The best thing was they were cheap and you get two and a half for the price of a U.S. comic book. I also remember many that were just reprints of U.S. comics, but one had some wonderful colour airbrush superhero covers. Those were early '80s I think. Oh and there were the hardback annuals for various comic titles, I had an X-Men one with giant robots. Often the colours would be wrong on the costumes. I remember a green and white Iron Man painting cover. I'm sure I saw a Warlord comic from England too but it was a bit expensive.
      My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

There was Countdown from the early 1970s which printed various SF strips. I think Dr Who was in it as well as a strip of the Gerry Anderson TV series UFO. I think most of it was B/W but there was a strip called, I think, Countdown, about the crew of a spaceship fighting against a tyrannical world ruler that was in colour. The ship looked like the one in 2001: A Space Odyssey--the one that goes to Jupiter. The comic had its page numbering reversed so that the last page was page 1 and it was printed on that cheap newspaper type paper.

Comment

In some Action comics the middle pages could be taken out and over a number of weeks put together to form a big poster of sharks eating people that was in colour.

Comment

My brother used to get (and therefore, I read) Whizzer & Chips, Buster, Topper, and Beezer. I preferred Whizzer & Chips and Buster. My favourite character was Cliff Hanger, and I always looked out for the cartoonist (J. Edward Oliver)'s little motifs, e.g. the "Abolish Tuesdays" sign.

Comment

I've seen those Rollerball type comics mentioned earlier, futuristic blokes on skates.

I'm surprised if there was never a 'Big Daddy' Crabtree/Giant Haystacks comic. I do have four Madness comic papers titled The Nutty Boys from when they were building a fan club, so maybe Bad Manners could've done one starring Buster Bloodvessel.

I definitely remember Whizzer & Chips too. I'm assuming there was a Chips that was 'combined' with a Whizzer at some point. I think Beano and Dandy were/are the two longest running titles, but Beano gets the edge in cool for having Eric Clapton reading one on that '60s LP photo!
              Last edited by beccabear67; 01-02-2018, 00:00.
              My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Originally posted by Clare View Post
                My brother used to get (and therefore, I read) Whizzer & Chips, Buster, Topper, and Beezer. I preferred Whizzer & Chips and Buster. My favourite character was Cliff Hanger, and I always looked out for the cartoonist (J. Edward Oliver)'s little motifs, e.g. the "Abolish Tuesdays" sign.

In Topper there was Figaro the Mexican bandit and Desert Island Dick who was trapped on a tiny desert island with a single coconut tree...I think there was sometimes an octopus with him as well for some bizarre reason.

I also liked Whizzer and Chips...were you a Whizzkid or a Chipite?

Around the same time was Cor!! with Gus the Gorilla.

Comment

Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post
                  I've seen those Rollerball type comics mentioned earlier, futuristic blokes on skates.

I'm surprised if there was never a 'Big Daddy' Crabtree/Giant Haystacks comic. I do have four Madness comic papers titled The Nutty Boys from when they were building a fan club, so maybe Bad Manners could've done one starring Buster Bloodvessel.

I definitely remember Whizzer & Chips too. I'm assuming there was a Chips that was 'combined' with a Whizzer at some point. I think Beano and Dandy were/are the two longest running titles, but Beano gets the edge in cool for having Eric Clapton reading one on that '60s LP photo!

The rollerball strip I remember was in Action and was called Spinball, with the strip itself called Death Game 1999. It was played on an ice rink set out like a giant pinball table with those bumper bar things. The players had ice skates and sticks, and there were guys on motorbikes. It was a very violent strip and it caused quite a bit of controversy. In the first issue it was in there was a panel showing a player getting cut up by other players with their ice skates while a couple excitedly looked on. Another panel showed Al Rico, Spinball's star player, getting hit by one of those bumper bars and then being catapaulted into the glass wall of the stadium with blood spraying.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                    I also liked Whizzer and Chips...were you a Whizzkid or a Chipite?
                    I was a Whizzkid!

Comment

I was a Whizzkid!

I was also a Whizzkid. There was a rivalry between the characters in Whizzer and those in Chips, and characters from Whizzer would sometimes sneak into Chips, and vice-versa. I know you could seperate the two sections to make individual comics but that is something I never did.

Comment

I was also a Whizzkid. There was a rivalry between the characters in Whizzer and those in Chips, and characters from Whizzer would sometimes sneak into Chips, and vice-versa. I know you could seperate the two sections to make individual comics but that is something I never did.
                        Neither did we. As I recall, Whizzer was led by Sid's Snake, and Chips by Shiner.

Comment

Neither did we. As I recall, Whizzer was led by Sid's Snake, and Chips by Shiner.

Spot on...it was indeed Sid and Shiner.

Comment

I also couldn't tell the difference between the 2, & thought the name was caused by a merger of 2 comics.

Normally I only got to read them when I found one in the school wet play comic box.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                              I also couldn't tell the difference between the 2, & thought the name was caused by a merger of 2 comics.

Normally I only got to read them when I found one in the school wet play comic box.

Chips was actually contained within Whizzer. Remove the staples and Chips (the middle section of the comic) could be removed and you would have two comics, though I haven't come across anyone who did that.

Comment

Chips was actually contained within Whizzer. Remove the staples and Chips (the middle section of the comic) could be removed and you would have two comics, though I haven't come across anyone who did that.
                                There was also Krazy comic in there too, for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X