Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: British Comic Characters

Originally posted by Clare View Post
    There was also Krazy comic in there too, for a while.

I don't remember that. I suppose it must have happened after I ceased reading it, which would have been around 1974 or slightly later. Whizzer & Chips had to compete with Warlord, the UK Marvels, US comics, Action and Cor!! each week for my meagre pocket money. My dad would occasionally bring me a comic when he came back from work but that could have been anything.

Comment

There was a magazine published in the early 70s called Target. It was glossy, with features and articles on films, clothes etc. Christopher Lee wrote a column for it and it was aimed at teenage boys. There were also several comic strips, the one I remember best being Bovver Boy, the humourous misadventures of a skinhead. Does anyone remember that?

Comment

I remember seeing Cor! There were a lot of comics that looked funny, seemed like they thought they were, but then weren't all that funny actually. But still, we were starved for entertainment. I used to cut up bits of any kind of comic and glue the pictures on things, and sometimes I'd make characters that could stand up like those Weetabix box figures. Our comics got really used and abused and then even traded when I was little. Seeing an old one that had all it's pages and a cover was rare.

I remember a friend from England who'd just moved in a couple houses away had some Look-Ins that had pieces taped on the bedroom wall already, but a Tin Tin was in one piece (they cost more).

Bovver Boys comics makes me imagine something tied in with Slade when they went that way for awhile; the braces and doc martins and suede heads. Then they went glam and super-yob.
        My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

There were (and still are) also short comic strips in some of the daily newspapers. I remember Andy Capp, The Perishers and Garth with affection
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I have a couple of Andy Cap books / compilations in the attic !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've got 2 od my Dad's old Giles annuals from the late 1960s, which are interesting reading.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My Grandad had some Giles books too. There was a Vancouver Canada version of him called Norris who had an annual book of best newspaper cartoons too. I wish as a kid I'd have thought, I remember a junk shop having a lot of musty old Punch papers amongst other old magazines, but I probably couldn't have scraped together enough to buy many. It's only as an adult never having seen anything like them again I could recognize what a rare thing they might have been to come across.

Andy Capp (by Smythe) became 'politically incorrect' a couple of decades back at least. He was meant to be a funny waster but he used to give Flo black eyes, so that would've been the end of him there... and supposedly she found them endearing? I forget when the movie was made with actors, but it must've been close to when it began to be seen in a different light.
                Last edited by beccabear67; 08-02-2018, 01:07.
                My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

I remember there was a sitcom version of Andy Capp in the ate 1980s, with James Bolam as Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                    I have a couple of Andy Cap books / compilations in the attic !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    I have one each of Andy Capp and The Perishers - I also have a load of Garfield ones

Comment

Those Garfield books were everywhere in the '70s and early '80s. I'm pretty sure they topped best-sellers lists. Earlier it was Snoopy/Charlie Brown/Peanuts strip collections. I had some New Zealand or Australian ones like them... Footrot Flats about a sheep dog, and a Ginger Meggs.

Comment

Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post
                        Those Garfield books were everywhere in the '70s and early '80s. I'm pretty sure they topped best-sellers lists. Earlier it was Snoopy/Charlie Brown/Peanuts strip collections. I had some New Zealand or Australian ones like them... Footrot Flats about a sheep dog, and a Ginger Meggs.
                        I remember loads of Garfield merchandise around the turn of the 1990s, especially the plushes that could be suckered onto your car windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Oggy View Post
                          The Black sapper,
                          Wilson
                          Captain Hornet
                          Codename Warlord
                          Union Jack Jackson
                          Mach 1
                          Wilson of the Wizard. - he improved is high jump by setting fire to hay bales to jump over, and I remember him picking his cricket team - chose someone who couldn’t touch his toes so he kept his feet together in the field to stop the ball and someone who kept his hanky in his right pocket. (??)

Also read the advnture, Hotspur and Rover

Comment

Do you think that the strips from Look In magazine would count in this instance?

I used to enjoy the cartoon drawings of Cannon and Ball in the magazine every week, and of course, it was quite straightforward to convert Dangermouse into a comic strip.
                            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I have Andy Capp and Perishers books which I've had since I was a kid

Comment

Originally posted by Oggy View Post
                                But thats the thing, the koolest comics were from/in the 60's, they had kool comics also, Smash, Knockout, TV21 etc, at least 2000AD's still going strong.
                                you may like this, loads of others available...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TV-CENTUR...-/113095059873
                                Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Working...
                                X