Home decor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home decor

No 70s home would be complete without the Green Lady hanging on the wall.

Comment

The original of that was auctioned recently. IIRC the same artist did an African woman in the same style.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember during the 70s my parents got a load of sawdust and mixed it in with white paint and did the hall with it.

Result was a wall that was rough when touched. No idea how they managed to get it off again.

I remember they knocked the wall through to get a bigger living room - maybe that was the reason!

Comment

My parents repainted my brother's old bedroom with textured paint when they turned it into a guest room.

Almost right away they wished they hadn't, especially after my sister's then boyfriend caught a bad against a wall & made a mark.

It's still up, I'm not sure how they are doing to rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by sweep View Post
            No 70s home would be complete without the Green Lady hanging on the wall.
            We had this one in the front room.....I can't tell you how much I studied that woman's face.
            http://artodyssey1.blogspot.co.uk/20...-vladimir.html
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Romany Jones.; 09-08-2013, 21:34. Reason: Added link.

Comment

Originally posted by Romany Jones. View Post
              We had this one in the front room.....I can't tell you how much I studied that woman's face.
              http://artodyssey1.blogspot.co.uk/20...-vladimir.html
              Must admit we didn't have one but she featured in quite a few of my mates homes usually the oriental one, seemed very exotic at the time and I was a little bit fascinated by them.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                My parents repainted my brother's old bedroom with textured paint when they turned it into a guest room.

Almost right away they wished they hadn't, especially after my sister's then boyfriend caught a bad against a wall & made a mark.

It's still up, I'm not sure how they are doing to rid of it.
                Had my bedroom done the same way, lost a chunk of flesh every time I brushed against it.

Comment

We eventually progressed to The Crying Boy picture.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	260439
                  Bit depressing.....but what can you do.

Comment

Mind you......we were spared this one.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Romany Jones. View Post
                      Mind you......we were spared this one.
                      As featured in Abigail's Party.

The house set for that couldn't be more 1970s if it tried.

Comment

Anybody remember those thick brown tablecloths that looked like a blanket you could put on the bed,doilies lacey things on the arms and back of chairs

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                          As featured in Abigail's Party.

The house set for that couldn't be more 1970s if it tried.
                          Correct and one of my favourite plays.....I remember watching it when it was first transmitted.....long before everyone suddenly remembered it as a classic.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                            Anybody remember those thick brown tablecloths that looked like a blanket you could put on the bed,doilies lacey things on the arms and back of chairs
                            I'm not sure of the table cloths, the only memory of tablecloths I have is getting excited at christmas when we could put our plastic tablecloth with an imprinted picture of Santa on the table......I remember the doilies on the arms and back of chairs....looking back you have to wonder what it was all about.....they were forever slipping off anyway......and god help you if you got beetroot juice anywhere near them or Vimto for that matter.

Comment

The painting and decorating shops before we had diy stores,when looking for wallpaper you had to look through books of samples of wallpaper to choose from,or the stands where you flicked over for samples,decisions decisions suprising how long we would spend in them days in these shops!

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                                Ah yes, the good old antimacassar. I always remember those in the homes of elderly great-aunts and grandparents. They were originally made to protect furniture fabric from hair oil that was popular in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Now they are mainly decorative when you see them used (albeit rarely) in homes.

The thick brown tablecloth is also something that my grandmother and great-aunts always had. The idea was that you put it under the white linen tablecloth and it protected the surface of polished or varnished real wood tables from the effects of hot dishes. A sadly forgotten invention and one I wish I could find as my dining table has a couple of marks on it where guests have not placed hot dishes on the table mats provided.

Comment

Working...
                                X