Home decor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home decor

My parents managed to find a large protective made for their new dining room table.

One of our friends of the family had a thick felted one in the 1980s.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
      My parents managed to find a large protective made for their new dining room table.

One of our friends of the family had a thick felted one in the 1980s.

My Aunt had one on the table all the time she never removed it

Welsh dressers with blue and white crockery displayed,those 1950s or 60s coffee tables with a picture of flamingos or swans on or maybe something else,it was not expensive affordable for the working class

Comment

yes i remember thos white covers that wehere put over each arm of the armchair.
        i loved it but white was easy stained.
        was it really to protect the armchair as you would put your cup on there.

the parents still use of those plastic table cloths.
        Last edited by darren; 13-08-2013, 11:33.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

We had one of those kitchen cabinets in green like the one Del and Rodney had in their kitchen,Im not sure what you called them a tall unit where 2 doors opened at the top,middle section you pulled the handle towards you which had 2 hinges on both sides,and the bottom section had 2 more doors to open I think,even now I have confused myself there must be someone that knows what I am talking about|

Comment

I know what you mean they seemed to be popular in the 1950s - 60s & around for a long time after.

The shop kitchen in Open All Hours had one IIRC.

They often had a white body with the doors painted a brighter colour, very 1950s.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
              I know what you mean they seemed to be popular in the 1950s - 60s & around for a long time after.

The shop kitchen in Open All Hours had one IIRC.

They often had a white body with the doors painted a brighter colour, very 1950s.
              Oh yes seen them in green and blue possibly yellow or cream

Comment

we lived in an raf married quarter for all of my childhood.........the walls were all a type of magnolia colour, the carpets were more like large rugs as i remember the dark tiles around the edge and the curtains had the most gordy floral/leafy patterns on

Comment

I do a job which often takes me into elderly people's homes. Now and then we get one where they just stopped decorating in about 1979. I absolutely love those ones. I secretly admire every orange paisley mark on the wallpaper, every wood-cabinet vinyl turntable, every coloured glass swan or clown or the mantelpiece. Great stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by the fox View Post
                    I do a job which often takes me into elderly people's homes. Now and then we get one where they just stopped decorating in about 1979. I absolutely love those ones. I secretly admire every orange paisley mark on the wallpaper, every wood-cabinet vinyl turntable, every coloured glass swan or clown or the mantelpiece. Great stuff.
                    When I had a paper round in the mid 1990s I noticed a few houses seemed to be in a time warp. One I remember was a kitchen which was stuck in the mid-late 1970s decor-wise.

I would like to see what it's like now but the house had a gate & long driveway so I can't just take a peek.

Comment

The programme homes under the hammer when people buy property in auctions,the state of houses they show on times,possibly older folk lived in them passed away hadnt done any allterations in years,the patterned carpets in every room dark dingy curtains,old gas fires,damp mould etc,when they are completely renovated from top to bottom,you wouldnt think it was the same house

Comment

Originally posted by Kaptain_Von View Post
                        Ah yes, the good old antimacassar. I always remember those in the homes of elderly great-aunts and grandparents. They were originally made to protect furniture fabric from hair oil that was popular in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Now they are mainly decorative when you see them used (albeit rarely) in homes.
                        I remember our three piece having antimacassars at one point. It was when our ancient G Plan was on its last legs and I think they were there to hide the threadbare arm rests rather than protect them. A new suite arrived on 31st October 1990 and the antimacassars were not replaced. The date sticks in my mind because that same day our neighbour's house went on fire and it was Halloween! It's strange what sticks in the memory!
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Genie View Post
                          We had some terrible wallpaper at home in the 70s. The bathroom's was white with mallard ducks sitting in bunches of reeds all over it
                          A friend has just bought an old house that has hens all over the wallpaper in the kitchen. Hideous and hilarious all in one. Perhaps there was a bird themed range in the 70's!
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                            A friend has just bought an old house that has hens all over the wallpaper in the kitchen. Hideous and hilarious all in one. Perhaps there was a bird themed range in the 70's!
                            A lot of wallpaper stripping no doubt lol

Comment

Absolutely! Worse still, aside from the hideous hens one wall has tiles with flowers all over them (major clash) and the units are huge and wooden with frilly bumpy decorations on the edges. Far too big and cramped for the size of the kitchen. Even the hood over the cooker is wooden and a right monstrosity. My friend says she's going to rip everything out.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                                Absolutely! Worse still, aside from the hideous hens one wall has tiles with flowers all over them (major clash) and the units are huge and wooden with frilly bumpy decorations on the edges. Far too big and cramped for the size of the kitchen. Even the hood over the cooker is wooden and a right monstrosity. My friend says she's going to rip everything out.
                                Im sure it will look lovely when the old is replaced with new

Comment

Working...
                                X